For Porcupine Tree fans.
May 1, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 13
No offense to the OP but-Deadsoul Tribe doesnt hold a candle to PT.
They have some interesting songs but they sound more like poor man's TOOL than PT. I tried getting into Jan Tree but it bored me to death.

If you want some serious, quality modern prog-rock that exhibits similar dynamics and musicianship to PT, pick up some Oceansize.

May 1, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, they're not really in any competition with Porcupine Tree. The music is completely different in style. It just has that same modern prog sort of sound that would appeal to PT fans. As for being a poor man's Tool, well, I disagree. They're two different bands with different approaches to the music. There are some inevitable similarities in sound (same genre) but that's about it, IMO anyway.

May 1, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 13
Hmm, I'll check it out. I love PT (Seeing them in September
biggrin.gif
) and I've been getting into prog a lot more recently.

May 1, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 13
I like A Murder of Crows and The January Tree quite a lot but find their newer stuff a bit boring. I disagree that they're a poor man's Tool. Their music has a similar sound with that hint of industrial but is simpler and more minimalistic in structure, which really lets Devon Graves' vocals shine through. I think his voice makes their music. The drummer also has a pretty interesting style and a different sound from most prog.

May 2, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 13
I think their sound is closer to Tool but they might appeal more to Porcupine Tree fans. The reason for this is the style, the overall feel of the music. Tool is far more aggressive, I'd say. Dead Soul Tribe is heavy but relies more on atmosphere than intensity (compared to Tool). In this way, they are similar to Porcupine Tree.

I think one of my favourite things about Dead Soul Tribe is how effortlessly their music flows from idea to idea, nothing ever feels tacked on. With a lot of progressive metal bands, I find they try to do this or that to give a song a unique feel (in the intro) and then it just leads into a very standard, uninteresting track. Dead Soul Tribe doesn't have that familiar sound, they manage to have a feeling that I could not ascribe to any other band. And the lyrics are great. Bad lyrics don't turn me off from a song, but good lyrics can enhance a song.

May 2, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 13
Tool and Porcupine Tree fans should check out Cire. I just downloaded "Wholesale Buyout" today, and I can't get enough. (legal download, of course) I normally cringe at Tool comparisons, but these guys actually remind me a bit of a Tool-light at times.

May 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 13
So are they Progressive or Industrial? Make up your minds!

I'll check out Oceanside though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back