For K702 and HD800: Burson HA-160 or Schiit Lyr
Dec 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ex0du5

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of K702 and have ordered myself a Schiit Bifrost. In the future I will probably get myself a pair of HD800, which is why they're in the title. Now comes the amp decision. The forerunners are the Burson HA-160 and Schiit Lyr.

Regarding the Lyr: I am apprehensive about tubes in general, as my experience with them is that they overly color the sound and make the sound more sluggish (less attack and transient response) than solid state amps. Also, since this is such a high powered amp, I'm afraid I might end up blowing some expensive headphones because someone accidentally turned the nob too far. However, I can't ignore the amount of praise I'm hearing with the Schiit Lyr with regards to these headphones.

As for the Burson, I like the aesthetics, I like the fact that it runs cool compared to the Lyr, and the stepped attenuator seems to be like a great idea in theory. Now, the stepped attenuator might also be a downside as I might not get the fine control I want over the volume. I'm also not quite sure how it compares with the Lyr with regards to these headphones.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 5
The power output of the Lyr is way more than you need for the K702 or HD800. Not that you'll "end up blowing some expensive headphones" as that'd be practically impossible, but the Lyr is more for orthodynamic headphones like the Audeze LCD-2. I think Schiit's other amp the Valhalla would make more sense, as that one is designed for regular high-impedance inefficient headphones.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Check out the review on AKG K702 with the Burson HA-160 on Headfonia. They had great things to say about it. With the HD800, most people say you need a really expensive tube amp. I've never had the headphones or a really good tube amp.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 5
From what I've read, the HA-160 is a tad tube like in terms of warmth and sound signature, but still very quick on the attack. A few users seem to enjoy the HD 800 and HA-160 combo, so I don't think it should serve me too badly. Of course, I might try a tube amp down the road, but as I've said, I'm much more comfortable with a solid state implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back