For how long can a vocalist scream?
Dec 19, 2009 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering, because in Tool's The Grudge, Maynard holds a "note" for just under 25 seconds. Is there any data on the number of seconds a human can scream for, based on the physics of lung capacity?

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 16
I was listening to Lateralus in the car today and the scream in The Grudge was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread. It's definitely the longest scream I've heard.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 16
Ask Roger Daltrey.
smile.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 16
Check out Emperor - Towards the Pantheon for another very long scream...however i think we'll never know if such performances are genuine or there's some studio magic behind them.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 16
Around 30 seconds in Nitro - "Machine Gun Eddie"

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Emperor - Towards the Pantheon for another very long scream...however i think we'll never know if such performances are genuine or there's some studio magic behind them.

Yeah that goes on for a long long time. I'm sure there is a live video so it seems legit. Don't forget that the album isn't exactly polished from a studio perspective so I doubt it was added in etc.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Very impressive, as is Phil Labonte's (All That Remains) effort in the beginning of "This Calling", not as long but a more demanding scream for sure.

On the other end of the spectrum, hearing Chad Grey from Mudvayne lay down:
Quote:

Backing out, giving up, no mother****ing slave to this.
Never lied, never left, never lived, never loved.
Never lost, never hurt, never worry about being me or anyone else.
Not a care, no concern. Don't give a **** about anything!

In a rough 13 seconds is something to applaud.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 16
I actually got off my arse and timed the Emperor scream. 24 seconds. Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very impressive, as is Phil Labonte's (All That Remains) effort in the beginning of "This Calling", not as long but a more demanding scream for sure.

Dude, seeing I have that album . .. . it's like 8 or 9 seconds.
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 16
In "I" by Meshuggah Jens holds a scream for a long time. I don't know how long, and I'm fairly certain it's studio magic, but it's extremely long.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EtherealApril /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening to Lateralus in the car today and the scream in The Grudge was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread. It's definitely the longest scream I've heard.

x2

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 16
If you want to know, watch soccer(the real football) with a Mexican commentator. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!
I swear it's over 30 seconds.

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...however i think we'll never know if such performances are genuine or there's some studio magic behind them.

True
frown.gif

I was going to make the point of live performance(s), but most bands these days have some sort of nifty pedal or synth or keyboard that could help serve the same purpose.

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On the other end of the spectrum, hearing Chad Grey from Mudvayne lay down:
In a rough 13 seconds is something to applaud.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha nice. I'll have to check that out. hey if you're into metal/rock "speed singing" you should check out OMG by Strapping Young Lad. Just.. yeah. Great song and insane that he's even using lyrics, because he says it so fast it just sounds like devin townsend lyrical gibberish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back