For HD 555/595 owners
Aug 24, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #16 of 29
My first real set of headphones...
Chaintech Av-710-> GoVibe v5-> HD555
I love them, I dont know what others sound like, I can only imagine. I can game for hours without any discomfort and they sound great.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr00000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darkvoice 336i = lovin!

I'm looking into getting a tube amp as well, and am considering the Darkvoice 336i. How would you say it changed the sound of the 595, in terms of sound stage, bass, mid range, treble, and coloration? Do you think its performance justifies the price?

Thanks!

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #18 of 29
i have tried my xin super mini 4 on my hd595 coming from the headphone jack of the ipod mini, and i cant hear a difference..
tongue.gif
the source is too cheap i think.. hahaha!!! but definitely get the hd595, it worth the extra cash.. hhaha!!
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioBully /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only heard the 595 unamped

That of course would be quite impossible as you'd hear nothing. Everything you plug them into is amped. Fact is, I often wonder what people here mean when they say amped/unamped as they seem to be referring on the one hand to ipods, sound cards etc and on the other to dedicated headphone amps with nothing in between--I mean, aren't receivers, integrateds etc "amps"? I use my 595 with a Marantz PM66SE K1 with terrific results; I have no desire for a dedicated amp. Actually I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with the 595 (or 650 for that matter) and quality receivers/integrateds from the likes of Nad, Marantz, Rotel. That would be a lot more interesting than hearing about HP amps that are not only way overpriced (especially with overseas postage) but run way too hot (Little Dot), and can't be repaired other than by sending them back whence they came at vast expense. Talk about poor value for money....

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how much better the HD595's are than the HD555's?
Are they really worth twice the price?

According to a friend of mine who earned both they are quite the same, so his advice was to get a HD555, and that's what I did
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 29
595 + Corda Arietta.

I am still not sure if the money spent on the Arietta was really worth it for my 595's, but the amp does smooth off the sound quite nicely, adds more bass and gives a bit more definition and separation in the music. The bonus though is the 595's still sound very good unamped and if you do buy an amp with a bit of juice when you get some more serious headphones you won't have to upgrade ......straight away
very_evil_smiley.gif
(damn this place is evil).

Side note: I put my 595's through my friend's Marantz and that did make quite a bit of difference.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #24 of 29
Firestone Audio's Cute Beyond amp makes my 555's sound far clearer and more detailed. Its a bit light on the bass but brings out a lot more detail. 555's dont really have any low-bass to start with.

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #26 of 29
HD595 with Xiang Sheng Tube Headphone/Pre-amp (tube rolled). Sounds really nice (I love that warm tube sound). This combination really has good synergy to my ears, tightens up and deepens the bass and completely removes the slightly grainy mids the HD595 can have with some sources and amps.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 29
i have heard both unamped, and to me, its all worth it.. the hd595 is far better than the hd555.. i am really surprised to read that so many people take them to sound the same, coz they really do sound different.. the hd595 just sounds cleaner and much more refined, but do take note that they were both unamped and my source was just a portable cd player..
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back