For folks who have dealt with broken ipods...
Oct 4, 2006 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

YngwieJMalmsteen

500+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with this ipod my friend wanted me to load up for him. Its a 10gig 3g. When I try to start it up the drive spins but its kinda loud and high pitched (much more so than my 4g photo at least), after about 8 seconds of the apple logo on the screen and drive noise it shows a 1/4 full battery icon with an exclamation sign in front of it and turns off, sometimes leaving a horizontal line across the top. When I plug it into my computer it sees it as an unknown USB device and I can't access it at all. Also the metal on the sides is kind of bent out suggesting its been opened before.

I guess the two main possibilities are: the battery, and the hard drive. So which is it ipod experts?

Oct 4, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 14
First, are you running the most recent iTunes (7.0.1.7 on Apple). If not, get update.

Second, has everything on the iPod been backed-up. If yes, then reformated, update drive and download music. This may take care of any problems.

Third (but more dangerous) Go into your diagnostic screen and see if you are having a problem with the iPod. Go to this site for instructions: http://www.methodshop.com/mp3/ipodsu...iagnosticmode/

WARNING: Do as you please, but I would do the Second before I would even think about the Third, but its your iPod.

Good Luck.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 14
No, this has nothing to do with iTunes or diagnostic mode. The ipod wont even start up let alone go into diag mode. Also its not my ipod.

Basically I was wondering if someone could tell whether its a battery problem or a HD problem based on what I've observed from the ipod. If there's anything else I should check let me know. It appears to be giving me a battery error but it sounds like HD error. If its only the battery I'll tell him to order one and install it for him, if its the HD drive then I'll probably tell him to ebay or trash it.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 14
if you hear loud noises, it's the HD. no doubt about it

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 14
I had the same thing happen to my iPod that one of my acquaintances considered broken. I tore the thing open, took apart the HDD, gave it a solid firm smack on the edge by bashing it against something hard, and now it works. Of course, the warranty was up at the time.

Oct 5, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #7 of 14
The icon isn't listed on that page, its the second one here. The battery with an exclamation point. That makes me think it could still be just the battery and that the noise may just be an underpowered drive trying to spin up. I left it plugged into my USB-wall charger overnight though so I guess it can't hold a charge at all. I read through apple's support stuff and tried hard reset so I guess there's nothing else I can do. I'm gonna give my friend the lowdown and tell him I think a new battery *might* fix it. I'll still feel like a dumbass if he buys one and it doesn't work, though.

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 14
Im pretty sure is the hdd. It just keeps spinning and kills the battery doesn't allow it to charge. Thats what happend to my 3g 40. mine still works with a ton of lag between loading songs. Apple tried to charge me 260 for a hdd so live with skipping and a ipod mini.

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 14
I mentioned Firewire, as my 2G iPod was Firewire-only. If the 3G iPods were/are USB compatible, I withdraw the question (I don't remember which version represented the changeover to USB -- the 3G or the 4G).

Good luck resolving the issue ...

Edit/PS: My 2G was "iPod for Windows" -- is the 3G Mac/Windows? I ask because you would want to at least eliminate such issues as possibilities before proceeding with diagnosing the problem.

Oct 5, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 14
LaBreaHead say:
Quote:

I withdraw the question (I don't remember which version represented the changeover to USB -- the 3G or the 4G).

The 4g can still be charged, but no downloads with a firewire to dock connection.

Oct 5, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 14
I had an iPod go into an endless loop of restarts. The software update wouldn't update it... ending with an error message. I changed docks and tried again and it updated perfectly and fixed the iPod.

See ya
Steve

Oct 5, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer
I had the same thing happen to my iPod that one of my acquaintances considered broken. I tore the thing open, took apart the HDD, gave it a solid firm smack on the edge by bashing it against something hard, and now it works. Of course, the warranty was up at the time.

Similar experience here, however after the tenth time it stopped working completely.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite
Similar experience here, however after the tenth time it stopped working completely.

Yeah... I don't expect mine to go on for much longer, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back