For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Dec 9, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #6,706 of 9,562
IMG_20201209_161850.jpg
I just bought this tung sol 6080 and the getter is flaky? Also popped a few times on start up, but I cleaned the pins and it seems to be okay now, but is it signs of a failing tube? First pop scared the life out of me - I thought I damaged my HD600s
The flashing is flaking, is it running at abnormally high temperatures? Popping isn’t good. I would let it run without the headphones plugged in for awhile. Did the seller include test results?

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #6,707 of 9,562
The flashing is flaking, is it running at abnormally high temperatures? Popping isn’t good. I would let it run without the headphones plugged in for awhile. Did the seller include test results?
Nope, it was untested and I took a chance...
It's running fine now, after it was popping, I recleaned the pins, and tested it with cheap throwaway headphones - still a bit worried. I've had many 6080s pass through my hands, and I've never seen the flashing flake like that

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #6,708 of 9,562
There is a military version with different getter holders, I happen to own one. Bottom shields as well.

All I know of are bottom getters. Here are the bottom getter holders on a 59 Svetlana, I also happened across a bottom getter Chatham 6as7g I own Jan version. I thought I might have to buy one for the tube challenge but nope lol.

My 55 Military version has identical getter holders but they are not as easy to see with the bottom shields being there.

.59 svetlana.jpg

Similarly, I have two Svetlana 6N5S, one 1953 and one 1955, both with bottom shields and bottom getter holders (similar, but slightly different from the more recent "flying saucers".). And I have another two 6N5S, one 1957 and one 1958, no bottom shields, but the same bottom getters as the earlier ones. Has anyone seen a 6N5S with top getter holders?

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #6,709 of 9,562
why not top? 🤔 (😂😂)

They are bottom because that was the technology at the time purchased from RCA I would think. Later on RCA went to top getters but the Russians did not.

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #6,710 of 9,562
Similarly, I have two Svetlana 6N5S, one 1953 and one 1955, both with bottom shields and bottom getter holders (similar, but slightly different from the more recent "flying saucers".). And I have another two 6N5S, one 1957 and one 1958, no bottom shields, but the same bottom getters as the earlier ones. Has anyone seen a 6N5S with top getter holders?
I have not seen a top getter on one but then I have tubes I have not examined yet lol. I just remembered I had some in a drawer in my shop and found the Chatham there.

6as7g.jpg

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #6,712 of 9,562
I thought @bcowen was bad..jesus christ.. got tubes?
I am not up to 2,000 quite yet but I have a few. I just loaned out five matched pairs and got a very nice mixture of beers as a thank you. :ksc75smile: A gentleman who is on this site, @sqitis. Quite an impressive guy but then I hang around with Cowen, everything is relative.

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #6,713 of 9,562
I have not seen a top getter on one but then I have tubes I have not examined yet lol. I just remembered I had some in a drawer in my shop and found the Chatham there.

6as7g.jpg

Hoarder.

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #6,714 of 9,562
I am up to 2,000 (or so) but I don't know where half of them are. Probably stuffed in a drawer somewhere, or in a box buried in the back of the attic I haven't ventured close to in 25 years, likely a few tubs under the sink, and probably a bin or two under Finnegan's litter box.

And that's just the GE's.

Here....fixed this for you ^^^^^^

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #6,716 of 9,562
Here....fixed this for you ^^^^^^

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
LMAO. Hey man does not live by tubes alone, after watching The Queens Gambit I may get back into the game.

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #6,717 of 9,562
Dec 9, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #6,718 of 9,562
I will give it some thought and I did have plans to send a sample Incubus Elegan around in the spring. If I can buy more solid plate Melz I may send one of those along. It is my favorite 6sn7 equivalent. This is a very rare tube, like a 1578 but no holes in the plates. My only warning on the Incubus is thus far, everyone who heard it wanted one other than one guy who is saving up. It is only about 50 people though, each amp is one of a kind and it takes me a while to build them.

Having dual power tubes, if they are 6as7g should not matter IMHO, it could be an advantage but what do I know?
Only for low impedance headphones,( trying to imagine an incubus with dual output tubes right now) but as is...plenty of power. Not sure why you say it's a driver specific amp, I pick up on the output tubes the same. I'm back to work tomorrow..sigh, meaning I'm here only once every other hour.. :D And if not, it was a pleasure mingling with you all, thanks for the entertainment!

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #6,719 of 9,562
Only for low impedance headphones,( trying to imagine an incubus with dual output tubes right now) but as is...plenty of power. Not sure why you say it's a driver specific amp, I pick up on the output tubes the same. I'm back to work tomorrow..sigh, meaning I'm here only once every other hour.. :D And if not, it was a pleasure mingling with you all, thanks for the entertainment!
Normally driver tubes cause greater differences to be heard but, so many have told me they heard greater power tube differences as well in the Incubus I can probably accept it.
I had a lot of tubes for other amps but I must say the bottom getter Chatham does sound good in the Incubus, I need to listen to it more.

It is a driver specific amp because it was made for 6sn7 testing for the most part, that was my goal. Along the way folks have said it does wonders letting them hear power tubes but to be honest, my focus was in other areas.

I am not sure what you are saying about lower impedance headphones, some use the Incubus with headphones down to 18 ohms, I do not personally. 32 ohms up, are fine for me but there is a drop in power till you get to about 50 ohms. You have a dual headphone amp and if you plug dissimilar impedances the result is lower than the lowest impedance. It is late and you are making me think too much lol.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #6,720 of 9,562
Normally driver tubes cause greater differences to be heard but, so many have told me they heard greater power tube differences as well in the Incubus I can probably accept it....
FWIW in Feliks Elise, power tube rolls can make as much or greater difference than driver rolls. I know that's contrary to general wisdom but as you point out seems quite amp. dependent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back