For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Dec 9, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #6,691 of 9,511
This is true, I had an idea that I was gonna come out like a champ before I ever received anything (from @Paladin79 ) and when the tubes arrived and the listening session began... terror ensued.. oh my God.. what will my peers think if I pick the weakest tube!! LOL!! It was a lot of fun though. I literally had to shut my eyes and go in Zen mode to hear what I was hearing. Since I'm already feeling the pressure here, I'll have to concede that the double getter/bottom thing could very well be a placebo effect and it's only pointed towards said tube to it's kind and not extended as a whole towards ALL 6as7g tubes, although the GEC 6AS7g is a bottom getter tube. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (joking) Am I? :upside_down:
There were no weak tubes in what I sent you, most of those had gone to Jason at Schiit and I sure was not going to include crappy tubes in his. As I recall you chose the grey glass RCA to keep, that was a favorite of many.

I doubt I would include any tube as pricey as a GEC but only Bill will know, provided anyone feels froggy and decides to leap. :ksc75smile:

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #6,692 of 9,511
There were no weak tubes in what I sent you, most of those had gone to Jason at Schiit and I sure was not going to include crappy tubes in his. As I recall you chose the grey glass RCA to keep, that was a favorite of many.

I doubt I would include any tube as pricey as a GEC but only Bill will know, provided anyone feels froggy and decides to leap. :ksc75smile:
Oh hell no... I did not choose the RCA grey Glass my friend..
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200621124303673_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #6,693 of 9,511
My memory is awful at times, that is a great tube. I run some in my Freya plus.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #6,695 of 9,511

Hmmmmmm....I could've sworn you told me this was your absolute most favorite of the group:

Philips ECG.jpg

:joy: :grin::grinning::grinning::grin::joy:

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #6,696 of 9,511
This could work, but I agree with @PsilocybinCube I would be more interested in a limited "getter" shootout. One bottom getter Chatham vs. 4 top getters, and one bottom getter RCA vs. 4 top getters. Same could be done with 5998 if there are enough around. Might be difficult to gather enough top getter tubes for this but if a few of us lend a tube maybe it could work. Though my GOTL uses dual power tubes so I couldn't participate anyway. Unless you're going to send an Incubus Elegan on tour... :L3000:

I will give it some thought and I did have plans to send a sample Incubus Elegan around in the spring. If I can buy more solid plate Melz I may send one of those along. It is my favorite 6sn7 equivalent. This is a very rare tube, like a 1578 but no holes in the plates. My only warning on the Incubus is thus far, everyone who heard it wanted one other than one guy who is saving up. It is only about 50 people though, each amp is one of a kind and it takes me a while to build them.

Having dual power tubes, if they are 6as7g should not matter IMHO, it could be an advantage but what do I know?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #6,697 of 9,511
I have not checked gain on tubes listed, I deal with so many tubes I generally look such things up as needed, Ithought to myself in my posting that a 7236 would not work well. I am not exactly new at this type of thing so all tubes will have some similar characteristics. :ksc75smile: In the case of the challenge with Bill, I may well have spent $1,000 to win a $100 dinner if you include a bit of my time.

My statement: I would only use 6as7s and 6080's or such as the other four tubes because I would want the gains to match.

I honestly do not remember if both of those are medium gain tubes. Now part of it is folks saying they can hear this or that in the bottom getter Chatham so even if I were to use bottom getter RCA's or Svetlana's, certainly they would be inferior. The challenge is to pick out what they believe is the bottom getter Chatham and there will only be one of them included.:ksc75smile:

I also try to be fair, in Bill's case I included some very good 6sn7's to contrast the GE tube he was to select.

Since a 6AS7 and a 5998 have different amplification factors, 2 for the 6AS7G and 5.5 for the 5998, I think it would be best to send only 5998s: One bottom getter, one top getter and one with both a top and bottom getter, and also a WE421A. IMHO, this would be a very interesting challenge. :)

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #6,699 of 9,511
Since a 6AS7 and a 5998 have different amplification factors, 2 for the 6AS7G and 5.5 for the 5998, I think it would be best to send only 5998s: One bottom getter, one top getter and one with both a top and bottom getter, and also a WE421A. IMHO, this would be a very interesting challenge. :)
I was thinking more of 6as7g and 6080, but I am in the middle of a few things and did not have a chance to check gain. I am loaning out some match pairs of tubes to a gentleman on here and I need to get them boxed up lol.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #6,700 of 9,511
Dec 9, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #6,702 of 9,511
I have not checked gain on tubes listed, I deal with so many tubes I generally look such things up as needed, Ithought to myself in my posting that a 7236 would not work well. I am not exactly new at this type of thing so all tubes will have some similar characteristics. :ksc75smile: In the case of the challenge with Bill, I may well have spent $1,000 to win a $100 dinner if you include a bit of my time.

My statement: I would only use 6as7s and 6080's or such as the other four tubes because I would want the gains to match.

I honestly do not remember if both of those are medium gain tubes. Now part of it is folks saying they can hear this or that in the bottom getter Chatham so even if I were to use bottom getter RCA's or Svetlana's, certainly they would be inferior. The challenge is to pick out what they believe is the bottom getter Chatham and there will only be one of them included.:ksc75smile:

I also try to be fair, in Bill's case I included some very good 6sn7's to contrast the GE tube he was to select.

Well damn. As someone who owns a Chatham 6as7g with two bottom getters, I don't know that I could tell the difference there...I thought the difference in gain via the 5998 was my ace in the hole. I do think I could blind test the difference on the RCA as that is pretty pronounced IMO.

All Svetlana Winged C tubes are bottom getters, right? With the UFOs?

Dec 9, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #6,703 of 9,511
Well damn. As someone who owns a Chatham 6as7g with two bottom getters, I don't know that I could tell the difference there...I thought the difference in gain via the 5998 was my ace in the hole. I do think I could blind test the difference on the RCA as that is pretty pronounced IMO.

All Svetlana Winged C tubes are bottom getters, right? With the UFOs?

There is a military version with different getter holders, I happen to own one. Bottom shields as well.

All I know of are bottom getters. Here are the bottom getter holders on a 59 Svetlana, I also happened across a bottom getter Chatham 6as7g I own Jan version. I thought I might have to buy one for the tube challenge but nope lol.

My 55 Military version has identical getter holders but they are not as easy to see with the bottom shields being there.

.59 svetlana.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #6,704 of 9,511
IMG_20201209_161850.jpg

I just bought this tung sol 6080 and the getter is flaky? Also popped a few times on start up, but I cleaned the pins and it seems to be okay now, but is it signs of a failing tube? First pop scared the life out of me - I thought I damaged my HD600s

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #6,705 of 9,511
There is a military version with different getter holders, I happen to own one. Bottom shields as well.

All I know of are bottom getters.
why not top? 🤔 (😂😂)
IMG_20201209_161850.jpg
I just bought this tung sol 6080 and the getter is flaky? Also popped a few times on start up, but I cleaned the pins and it seems to be okay now, but is it signs of a failing tube? First pop scared the life out of me - I thought I damaged my HD600s
Amp is adjusting to the new tube, should be good, just let the tube discharge fully (couple minutes) before pulling them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back