For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
May 30, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,936 of 9,511
Nice info. Intersting I like the Sylvania's. I will get a pair of the RCA's to trial. They look like the same construction as the 6AS7G version. So I was avoiding as those suckers are very noisy in my amp. I will give them a blast tho.

Edit: just purchased a pair. They will take a while to get to me tho. I'm at the ass end of the world.
biggrin.gif

You live in Hawaii too?  Nah, just kidding but man does MassDrop take forever to get stuff here, still haven't gotten K7XX from last drop, was shipped out 3 weeks ago.

May 31, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #1,937 of 9,511
Just got me a pair of vintage mullard 6080's from langrex and so far there the best sounding 6080's I own, running them with a pair of vintage sylvania's vt-99's and of course I'm using a brimar cv1863 this makes a real nice sounding combo..

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #1,938 of 9,511
Just got me a pair of vintage mullard 6080's from langrex and so far there the best sounding 6080's I own, running them with a pair of vintage sylvania's vt-99's and of course I'm using a brimar cv1863 this makes a real nice sounding combo..

I have a similar combo. Brimar rectifier, Tung-Sol round plate 6F8G drivers and I have a pair of the Mullard 6080 power tubes from Langrex. Unfortunately I have disreguard as one is very noisy. I liked the sound but just couldn't get past the noise. I should throw them back in and listen.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #1,939 of 9,511
Too bad on the mullard, these ones sound real nice, I'd like a pair of the tung sol's 6f8g but cost for them is high at least for the next month or so. The sylvania's are really nice for the price also have a pair of rca's 1940 I think the sylvania's sound better. Haven't listened to the raytheon's  those were the highest priced 6f8g's I own 71. I will say I do love this hobby..

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #1,940 of 9,511
Too bad on the mullard, these ones sound real nice, I'd like a pair of the tung sol's 6f8g but cost for them is high at least for the next month or so. The sylvania's are really nice for the price also have a pair of rca's 1940 I think the sylvania's sound better. Haven't listened to the raytheon's  those were the highest priced 6f8g's I own 71. I will say I do love this hobby..

I don't have the Sylvania 6F8G. I have 11 sets of Tung-Sol Round plates, 2 sets of NU (they are just as nice as the Tung-Sol), 1 set of RCA flat plate and 27 sets of RCA round plates (yip 27 sets(I purchased in bulk)).

Maybe I should give the Mullard another burn. I ran 50 hours and it did not improve. Maybe I should give it another 50 hour burn.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,941 of 9,511
I don't have the Sylvania 6F8G. I have 11 sets of Tung-Sol Round plates, 2 sets of NU (they are just as nice as the Tung-Sol), 1 set of RCA flat plate and 27 sets of RCA round plates (yip 27 sets(I purchased in bulk)).

Maybe I should give the Mullard another burn. I ran 50 hours and it did not improve. Maybe I should give it another 50 hour burn.

That's sure a nice collection of 6f8g's you've got I only have 4 sets, 2 sets of the sylvania's (the cheapskates tung sol's) Lol, not sure if more time on your mullards would help probably not 50 hours is a long time with tubes that sound bad, you could do what everyone else does sell on ebay, 

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,942 of 9,511
  That's sure a nice collection of 6f8g's you've got I only have 4 sets, 2 sets of the sylvania's (the cheapskates tung sol's) Lol, not sure if more time on your mullards would help probably not 50 hours is a long time with tubes that sound bad, you could do what everyone else does sell on ebay, 

Nah! I couldn't do that.

Only one tube is noisy. I might order 3 and use the single to make two sets. Might be a plan.

I found my notes on the Mullard. Nice tubes. I really should give them another blast as I have never found a power tube I have been 100% happy with.

My notes: Clean bass, Nice midrange, Treble is sweet. Doesn't do anything over the top well (not exceptional in any area). However it seems to do everything well. No weak areas.

Would you agree with those notes?

It might be the tube I'm looking for. With the Brimar 5Z4GY being so dynamic and lush, The Tung-Sol 6F8G roundplates being made by God then I really need a bang on neutral power tube.

The Sylvania 6080 is one of my favorites. Very lush but as someone pointed out a little bright.
I gave the RCA 6AS7g a run in the weekend. As I have ordered the RCA 6080 and I thought they might be similar. Too dark. As per RCA there is treble roll (their 6SN7's are good examples of treble roll). Nice bass and midrange, just too much treble detail loss. Smooth tubes tho. I thought one day I might try this power tube with a brighter driver. Might be nice.

So I need something in the middle. Mullard might be it. I will roll the noisy set in and just observe the signature. If I like I will buy 3 more to evaluate. If I like those I will buy 12 more sets.

You are using in the WA22 aren't you? No noise issues?

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,943 of 9,511

Nah! I couldn't do that.

Only one tube is noisy. I might order 3 and use the single to make two sets. Might be a plan.

I found my notes on the Mullard. Nice tubes. I really should give them another blast as I have never found a power tube I have been 100% happy with.

My notes: Clean bass, Nice midrange, Treble is sweet. Doesn't do anything over the top well (not exceptional in any area). However it seems to do everything well. No weak areas.

Would you agree with those notes?

It might be the tube I'm looking for. With the Brimar 5Z4GY being so dynamic and lush, The Tung-Sol 6F8G roundplates being made by God then I really need a bang on neutral power tube.

The Sylvania 6080 is one of my favorites. Very lush but as someone pointed out a little bright.
I gave the RCA 6AS7g a run in the weekend. As I have ordered the RCA 6080 and I thought they might be similar. Too dark. As per RCA there is treble roll (their 6SN7's are good examples of treble roll). Nice bass and midrange, just too much treble detail loss. Smooth tubes tho. I thought one day I might try this power tube with a brighter driver. Might be nice.

So I need something in the middle. Mullard might be it. I will roll the noisy set in and just observe the signature. If I like I will buy 3 more to evaluate. If I like those I will buy 12 more sets.

You are using in the WA22 aren't you? No noise issues?

I would agree with your impression of the mullard 6080's out of the 8 sets of 6080's there are RCA, GE, Sylvania and 1 set of mullards they sound better then all other 6080's I own, however I do have 4 sets of vintage all are 1950 RCA 6as7g's (bass is real nice) that are very close to the sound of my mullards.

These are the mullards langrex sent me take a look, I only have one set of the mullards 6080's just the other day I went to the langrex ebay store and I can not find these same mullards they now have the CV2984 mullards I understand that the cv is just a common value number used by the military I'm not sure if the the same tube or not. I own a total of 78 tubes for my wa22 and have no noise from any of them. This is with out a doubt the best head amp i've ever owned I really love it..

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #1,944 of 9,511

I would agree with your impression of the mullard 6080's out of the 8 sets of 6080's there are RCA, GE, Sylvania and 1 set of mullards they sound better then all other 6080's I own, however I do have 4 sets of vintage all are 1950 RCA 6as7g's (bass is real nice) that are very close to the sound of my mullards.

These are the mullards langrex sent me take a look, I only have one set of the mullards 6080's just the other day I went to the langrex ebay store and I can not find these same mullards they now have the CV2984 mullards I understand that the cv is just a common value number used by the military I'm not sure if the the same tube or not. I own a total of 78 tubes for my wa22 and have no noise from any of them. This is with out a doubt the best head amp i've ever owned I really love it..

Here is the pics of mine. They look the same internally. Slightly different logo. Looks like a Transformer.
tongue.gif

Bottom picture is with the RCA round plate 6F8G. Same plates as the NU 6F8G. Nice tubes. Not as good as the Tung-Sol or the NU. A little dryer. Might be nice with the RCA 6AS7G. I'm going to try that in the next few weeks.

I have had no end of problems with noisy power tubes and my WA22. I've never had issues with rectifiers or drivers, always power. At times it has made me real mad.
mad.gif
I'm starting to suspect that something is wrong with my amp. However when I get a noisy tube I switch sides and the noise follows which kinda points the fault at the tubes rather than amp. Maybe I'm just buying everyone's crappy noisy tubes.
frown.gif
Currently I have seven sets of noisy tubes that I will never use.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,945 of 9,511
The tube on the left, below, is from the 1950s (Mullard/Philips tube code "AJ0 R7J", so 1957). Notice it has metal shields above the second mica, similar to the RCA. And the tube on the right is from the 1960s (Mullard/Philips tube code "AJ1 R6D1"), so 1966.

As the tubes in the above pictures do not have the metal shields, they are most likely from the 1960s, or possibly, even the 1970s. If you can find the tube codes, they can reveal when they were manufactured.

Also, the CV2984 is precisely identical to the 6080. Same tubes, same factory, just different paint. :)

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,946 of 9,511
^

Geez. That Mullard does look like a RCA. Very confusing. Thanks for the info.

I saw a auction a few months ago for a set of that Mullard. I ignored thinking it was RCA. Sold at a cheap price as well.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #1,947 of 9,511
That's good to know thanks gibosi same tubes guess I'll order a second pair then. Badas you might be getting bad tubes wow 7 sets that would be very discouraging and expensive, do you or have you tried new power tubes how are they with noise issues, what a very strange problem, I've got like 28 different power tubes none have noise issues..

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #1,948 of 9,511
That's good to know thanks gibosi same tubes guess I'll order a second pair then. Badas you might be getting bad tubes wow 7 sets that would be very discouraging and expensive, do you or have you tried new power tubes how are they with noise issues, what a very strange problem, I've got like 28 different power tubes none have noise issues..

Most of the noisy tubes are the RCA styled 6AS7G's. I have them rebranded as Tung-Sol, Sylvania, Raytheon and the RCA. They are all the same tube. They range from a small background hum that I could actually accept to full on crackling noise which annoy the crap out of me. The others are the crappy Russian Svetlana 6N13 and the one Mullard.
The totally quiet ones I have are Sylvania 6080. Altho 2 sets started noisy then settled. GE 6080 (stock tube), Tung-Sol 7236, Bendix 6080, 2 sets of Chatham 6AS7g are quiet, one other set of Chatham's has one noisy tube. Then I have one set of the Svetlana that is quiet.

I guess I have had a lot of bad luck. Or sellers selling me crap. I think the WA22 is a bit temperamental to 6080 and 6AS7g type tubes.

I'm infusiastic about the Mullard. I will do a re-listen even tho one is noisy. If I like the sound I will order 3 more to make 2 sets. If they are quiet then I will stock up. Maybe I just got one bad tube. The other is rock solid.

I think the Brimar 5Z4GY, Tung-Sol round plate 6F8g and Mullard 6080 could make a killer combo.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #1,949 of 9,511
I'm listening to my Mullard 6080's now. Code AJ1. I can't read the bottom code it is just not readable.

The bloody noise is awful. One is hissing and spitting. The other is making a low level whirling sound (not as bad). So both are not running well in my WA22. I wonder if there has been a difference in designs of the WA22. Mine is August 2014 manufacture. I think I will contact Jack Woo and ask for help.

Anyhow. Nice sound. Reminds me a lot of the Sylvania 6080. Just as lush. A little bit bigger fuller mid-range (not much), minor improvement in bass. Treble sounds similar. So both lean a little to the bright side which gives them the lush sound.

I will not consider the Mullards as a useable tube in my case. Too close to the Sylvania's and too noisy. I know the Sylvania's work well in my amp and they are a lot cheaper. So unless the RCA 6080 knocks my socks off I will just stock up on the Sylvania.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #1,950 of 9,511
I'm listening to my Mullard 6080's now. Code AJ1. I can't read the bottom code it is just not readable.

The bloody noise is awful. One is hissing and spitting. The other is making a low level whirling sound (not as bad). So both are not running well in my WA22. I wonder if there has been a difference in designs of the WA22. Mine is August 2014 manufacture. I think I will contact Jack Woo and ask for help.

Anyhow. Nice sound. Reminds me a lot of the Sylvania 6080. Just as lush. A little bit bigger fuller mid-range (not much), minor improvement in bass. Treble sounds similar. So both lean a little to the bright side which gives them the lush sound.

I will not consider the Mullards as a useable tube in my case. Too close to the Sylvania's and too noisy. I know the Sylvania's work well in my amp and they are a lot cheaper. So unless the RCA 6080 knocks my socks off I will just stock up on the Sylvania.

Didn't you have cables that were too close to the amp, making all your tubes noisy? Is there any other wireless interference in your house? Some types of tube may be more susceptible to noise than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back