Foobar2000 vs iTunes
Oct 11, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #16 of 85
In terms of UI, I have found Zune to be better than iTunes, in fact I hate the iTunes UI. However, I use Foobar for the ASIO output which was not supported in earlier versions of the Zune software.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #17 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How could iTunes on windows be significantly different in terms of sound quality than on OSX?

Different sound implementation on OS level.
Core Audio (Mac OS X) is bit-perfect, while DirectSound (MS Windows) do not seem to have the same advantage.
That may have changed with iTunes 9.0 though, which afaik support WASAPI on Windows Vista and 7, but was an issue in the past.

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #18 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I tried getting file play count plug-in to work in foobar (one reason for me not using it), but it never worked.

What exactly didn't work? I'm using foo_playcount and it works just fine for me.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 85
The sole reason I use Foobar is that it is very low on resources. And oh, one small fact about iTunes: it is Apple software.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #20 of 85
I'd personally like to use non-iTunes and organize all my music via playlists as i used to in past but since i got an iPod Touch.. Used to use Winamp in fact
tongue.gif
. Haven't spent any time with foo

Found Multi-Plugin a while ago but was saddened it wasn't being updated further to accomodate new versions of iTunes

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sole reason I use Foobar is that it is very low on resources. And oh, one small fact about iTunes: it is Apple software.
very_evil_smiley.gif

They are pretty lucky, Peter hasnt released a MAC version,
or maybe you cant beat Apple on its territory

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wehay, let's get some Apple bashing on the go!...
deadhorse.gif

I'm just trying out Foobar on my PC, Flac Support is a really nice feature there's no doubt about that. However, if itunes supported FLAC there would be no contest for me.

I am going to continue to use Foobar for a while until I can form a proper opinion, but aside from the delightfully small footprint of it [not such a big deal when you have a decent computer to be quite honest] and FLAC compatibility, I can't see any other reason to keep using it.

Apple's offering has far better visualizations, a much nicer UI [both quite important things to me]

The only pull is that FLAC, as for which one I will use, it depends on how much of a difference I heard when I get my AMP3 tomorrow. If the difference between 320K VBR and FLAC is not audible on it, then Foobar is getting binned...

If only iTunes supported FLAC.....

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #23 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wehay, let's get some Apple bashing on the go!...
deadhorse.gif

I'm just trying out Foobar on my PC, Flac Support is a really nice feature there's no doubt about that. However, if itunes supported FLAC there would be no contest for me.

I am going to continue to use Foobar for a while until I can form a proper opinion, but aside from the delightfully small footprint of it [not such a big deal when you have a decent computer to be quite honest] and FLAC compatibility, I can't see any other reason to keep using it.

Apple's offering has far better visualizations, a much nicer UI [both quite important things to me]

The only pull is that FLAC, as for which one I will use, it depends on how much of a difference I heard when I get my AMP3 tomorrow. If the difference between 320K VBR and FLAC is not audible on it, then Foobar is getting binned...

If only iTunes supported FLAC.....

Just convert flac - wav, import to itunes and convert to alac.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 85
If my iTouch wouldn't require iTunes to manage it, I would never install that piece of crap software on my computer (yeah I know there are alternatives, just not as good when it comes to managing the iTouch). Win XP + iTunes = A nightmare. For some reason iTunes works extremely slow on windows machines. It also crashes a lot. I used it last time on thursday to update music on my iPod. The program managed to crash twice in ~one hour.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #26 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
foobar. Can itunes play or convert to flac & ogg? What about scanning files for replaygain? Nope. Allow plugins?

Flac can easily be converted to apple lossless.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #28 of 85
^ Just the other way around as well.
FLAC is not supported on devices/applications which support ALAC. So to each their own...

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #29 of 85
I like fb2k because it's so modular.

It's easy to convert music to other formats, ABX tracks, tag files properly, apply ReplayGain, move/rename/organize your whole music collection however you want it, it has a simple 18-band EQ built in that can be very useful, allows me to set up global hotkeys the way I like it (e.g. hotkeys to rate current track while surfing the web, fb sits in the tray most of the time anway), has amazing DSP plugins I couldn't live without, supports dynamic playlists based on my custom expressions (e.g. rating 3+, or tracks not play within x days or certain genres ..), allows me to sort and group music the way I want it, and so on and on ..
wink.gif

And all of that fits into a nice and simple 3mb installer which installs fb only, no fancy updater or other stuff.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #30 of 85
Another thing I cant figure how to do in foobar is have it automatically sort my music like it does in i tunes. All i do is drag and drop the file into Itunes, and it automatically copies, renames it, stores it in the appropriate artist folder and album folder. Then I delete the original file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back