foobar2000 pre-configured?
Sep 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

adrift

500+ Head-Fier
I can't be the only one who's ever asked for this, but I have a feeling that I may get flamed for doing so
icon10.gif

Does anyone know where one could acquire pre-configured foobar2000 configurations? I realize that foobar's main selling point lies in it's ability to be compiled any which way the user wants, and for those who have the patience I'm sure this is half the fun, but I don't really have the patience, and every time I start compiling a configuration I break something or just can't get it working exactly the way I want, get frustrated, and uninstall it. Case in point... I imported kameleon on foobar last night. It took me a good hour or more of tweaking and messing around with it to get the feel for it and I still found I couldn't get certain features working... couldn't change the wallpaper... couldn't figure out how to import album covers, etc., and not only that, but I actually find the theme a bit loud and garish. I only imported it because it was one of the very very few (maybe half dozen, if that?) configurations I could find online that could be somewhat easily imported (with full directions) into version 0.9.6.9.

So anyone got any suggestions? Links to pre-configured configurations? etc.? Thanks!

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 32
I used FofR Configuration a while, and liked it. But after I installed Windows 7 I had trouble with it, so I downloaded the newest version of foobar. Not sure if the FofR works so great with the newer foobars. I was running it on an older version, don't recall which one...

Anyway, I found that it is easy to configure the newer foobar to my own liking. Just add the foo_ui_columns and a couple of other .dll's, and tweak your layout from Columns UI -> Layout.

Well, good luck. Foobar is a really, really nice player.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect you find some in the foobar2000 forum.
Hydrogenaudio Forums -> foobar2000

Man I scoured that website for hours yesterday (and a bit the day before even). For such a fairly well known and well liked application its not a very large forum, and maybe I'm just being nit-picky, but I find it odd that they don't have a stickied thread or even a dedicated webpage of modern Foobar2000 configs. I did find at least one thread of Foobar configs in those hours of searching, but it wasn't that great really.

If you google something like "Foobar2000 themes" or "Foobar2000 configurations" you get dozens of decent web hits, but they all point to older versions of Foobar dating back mostly to 2007. And to be honest, I don't even want a configuration. I want a fully integrated, good looking, richly featured pre-configured app. that's ready to go when I double click the .exe. :sigh: Probably asking for waaay too much.
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used FofR Configuration a while, and liked it. But after I installed Windows 7 I had trouble with it, so I downloaded the newest version of foobar. Not sure if the FofR works so great with the newer foobars. I was running it on an older version, don't recall which one...

Anyway, I found that it is easy to configure the newer foobar to my own liking. Just add the foo_ui_columns and a couple of other .dll's, and tweak your layout from Columns UI -> Layout.

Well, good luck. Foobar is a really, really nice player.

I think I'll mess around with the FofR config tonight if no one can point me to my imaginary website filled with late model pre-configured foobar apps. I have Windows 7 as well so this is probably going to be another night of config hell.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also give DA a try:

Browsing Foobar2000 on deviantART

Yep, spent a huge chunk of time there last night as well. Not much luck, and besides, they don't have pre-configured packages, they just have ordinary configurations mostly pointing at the PanelUI version of Foobar.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 32
Pre-configured foobar2000 packages may not be legal, at least not containing foobar2000 binary files outside its unmodified installer.
Some of the 3rd. party components may be distributed under a different license though, and hence may be legal to redistribute.

Quote:

Redistribution and use in binary form, without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Only unmodified installers can be redistributed; redistribution of foobar2000 binaries in any other form is not permitted.
* Neither the name of the author nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

foobar2000: License

So perhaps you simply ask too much.
wink_face.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 32
I hear you man, I basically did the same thing you have done, and after awhile searching for themes, I just gave up. You'd think someone would release a package, but there's really nothing like that out there. I ended up just using a generic colums ui configured from within foobar, it's not great, but it works well enough.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pre-configured foobar2000 packages may not be legal, at least not containing foobar2000 binary files outside its unmodified installer.
Some of the 3rd. party components may be distributed under a different license though, and hence may be legal to redistribute.

foobar2000: License

So perhaps you simply ask too much.
wink_face.gif

Ah. no wonder. Jeesh, that sucks. Well thanks krmathis... guess its back to another night of screwin around with this thing before I give up in exasperation and head back to the relative ease of Winamp or something. :lol:

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear you man, I basically did the same thing you have done, and after awhile searching for themes, I just gave up. You'd think someone would release a package, but there's really nothing like that out there. I ended up just using a generic colums ui configured from within foobar, it's not great, but it works well enough.

Yep. I don't blame ya. I'm actually sort of surprised Foobar is as popular as it is because of this. Ahwell. I assume that when most people get it set exactly how they like it they don't mess around with it much anymore... too much of a hassle.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want a fully integrated, good looking, richly featured pre-configured app. that's ready to go when I double click the .exe.

See, there's your problem right there. If you were willing to click the .dmg instead, I'd have just the thing.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 32
I know there is a thread somewhere on Hydrogenaudio(or maybe it was on Neowin) where people would just show off their Foobar setup. If you find one that you like, your best bet would probably be to contact that person directly for the settings. Maybe start a thread here? hehe

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, there's your problem right there. If you were willing to click the .dmg instead, I'd have just the thing.

With computers I can swing AC/DC. Watcha got? I figured that the best player for the mac was already included with the latest OS.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there is a thread somewhere on Hydrogenaudio(or maybe it was on Neowin) where people would just show off their Foobar setup. If you find one that you like, your best bet would probably be to contact that person directly for the settings. Maybe start a thread here? hehe

As I mentioned earlier, I think I did find a thread like that on Hydrogen's website. Problem was, many of the images for these configs were linked off-site which was a bit of a pain, and not many of the configs seemed that impressive to be honest. I've seen some beautiful examples for earlier configs online, but most of them are obsolete now and there's still no getting around the fact that I'd have to manually configure the configs once I got them using an early version of Foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back