Foobar2000 on Linux How To: bypass wine audio stack
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yay101

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all! I will keep this short for the good people here who are interested.

You need:
Wine
Foobar 2000
foo_out_upnp
gmrender-ressurect (installation instructions)

Remember to:
Simply set your foobar 2000 output to the name you chose for your renderer.
Play with pulse audio or ALSA (or gstreamer) to your hearts content with your normal mixing settings.
Enjoy your music as if Foobar2000 was native (with a slight delay).

Cheers guys!

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 6
The WASAPI plugin in "push" mode works fine, with the audio device correctly selected in winecfg (that is, the actual sound card/DAC instead of just "default", so that it will use the plughw:N ALSA devices, rather than PulseAudio). As far as I can tell, this does not process the sound if the sample rate used is supported natively by the audio hardware.

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 6
Reading about wines implementation and extra driver indicate there is no way for the sound to bypass wines software mixer as it is in the alsa driver (winealsa.drv) itself which is again like a wrapper for the actual alsa device, at least that is my understanding and i can't find anything to the contrary. I would be more than happy to be wrong though.

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 6
It may go through winealsa.drv, but I found no evidence that any actual processing (sample rate conversion etc.) is applied in the above described configuration. That is not the case with the default DirectSound output, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back