foobar2000 + milkdrop/avs together at last
Nov 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #32 of 36
This method totally worked right away for me, but I am having the same problem with not being able to save any changes to the settings; they revert to defaults instantly.

How did you fix this??

This is no good because when you change the graphics settings it will not save and goes back to default.... Can you tell me how you make them save? eg. resolution, FPS, quality etc.

NVM fixed.... Don't like milkdrop much anyway tbh even on highest settings it looks a bit "90's" and low budget... Oh well..

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #33 of 36
To get the settings to save, you have to run FooBar as Administrator (right click on the icon and then click "Run As Administrator"). FooBar doesn't have write access to the directory where the MilkDrop configuration is stored (because it's copied in from a WinAmp install). You could probably go in and figure out the permissions it needs, but I found that even on my laptop (the nice thing about running older software), I could basically max out all the settings and don't really need to go back in and change them again, so I only had to do it once.

Also, it was really funny that someone mentioned that MilkDrop looks like it's from 2001. That's probably because it first came out in 2001: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MilkDrop

Anyway, thanks for the blast from the past guys, used to chillout with some good music and MilkDrop back in college, so this was a trip down memory lane for me.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #34 of 36
  I may just be excited that I've finally found a way to do this, but in the off chance that anyone is still using foobar2000 and interested in having pretty colored pixels move to their music on their PC, here is how I got milkdrop and other nullsoft visualizations working with foobar2000 seamlessly. Its a truly great thing to have for a windows based htpc and is part of many htpc packages like XBMC. Now you can have the sound quality and the visualization together.

If you haven't heard of milkdrop before, it is a highly capable visualization with literally hundreds of different presets out there for it. I really missed this visualizer when I switched from Winamp to foobar2000 for better quality and less bloat years ago and works well with multiple monitors. I've tested this myself on XP pro and Windows7 64.

First, you need to download the foo_vis_shpeck wrapper plugin and extract it to your foobar2000/components directory in your program files (C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86) if you have 64 bit).

Download here: http://yirkha.fud.cz/progs/foobar2000/foo_vis_shpeck-0.3.7.zip

Second, you need to download the dummy Winamp directory from here and extract it wherever you like (I put it in the foobar2000 program directory). You may need to download 7zip extractor to extract the files.

Download latest here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ybv4a39yrp4l15m

Now start foobar2000 and enter preferences. Configure Shpeck under the visualization section by setting the directory you extracted your winamp dummy dir to and then select Milkdrop in the list of available plugins and click configure. I set my default to fullscreen, set my fullscreen settings to my desktop resolution, and, since I have a faster video card and cpu, I upped the mesh size under more settings to 96x72 (completely optional, but looks amazing). I also set a keyboard shortcut to my M key to start the visualization while in preferences.

If you want to see the options in the visualizer, you can push the F1 key to see a list. :)

Credit goes to Yirkha on Hydrogen audio forums for creating the shpeck plugin and Nullsoft for making the visualizations available freely.

Thanks manaox2.  Milkdrop is a gorgeous & timeless visualization experience.  So nice to have it running with Foobar2000.   A blast from the past. . .

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #35 of 36
I just want to say thank you for the OP.
Always wanted to have this retro winamp animations in foobar, but never looked for any solutions till today on my way home I said to myself hey let's ask google... and I found this topic 5 years old, with working links and everything, amazing. Now I can have at home what we use to do with my dj friend - sitting on the couch whole night, having bottle of whiskey and milkdrop from laptop on 60" flatscreen, listening to old psy-trance sets, cool! ^^

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #36 of 36
Thanks to OP, Works great and Glad to have this on My fully modded F2K :D
That Administrator trick works, & for the shortcut just simply look for keyboard shortcuts under F2K Preferences-> Filter by Shpeck Milkdrop2.2 and bind it to a button, sweet !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back