Foobar2000 EQ
Sep 22, 2007 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SoundFreaq

Headphoneus Supremus
I am continually upgrading my system. I have always been a fan of the iTunes interface for its ease of organization. Well, as I peruse these forums and keep spending money, I can't help but notice that Foobar seems to be the player of choice around here. With it receiving so much recognition, I though I had better see what all the fuss is about. I download Foobar.

I use EQ. Owning the rogue SA5000's isn't easy. I try to tame them, but they have a few curves I'd like to smooth out, as they happen to be headphones; too bad the SA5000 isn't a woman. Anyhow, I do a tricky EQ job in the new Foobar equalizer and then play a track that I am very familiar with (more like the "I-know-it-so-well it's the first song I play when trying new equipment because the difference will be readily apparent to me" sort of thing).

I do an A/B comparison

I like the EQ, it's more extended... I'm liking the new Foobar ripping options...

Then, I hear something. An unmistakable sound, in time to the music. Keep in mind, this is the exact same file I am comparing here. A high quality vbr (214). I try it in iTunes, the sound isn't there. I wonder if somehow Foobar is a better player and is somehow sending more of the music to the soundcard. But a player is only an interface for a file...

After playing with options for quite a while, I reset the EQs on iTunes and Foobar to zero, and the sound I was hearing in Foobar vanished. Gone. I reload the EQ settings in Foobar, and wham! That sound returned.

The Foobar EQ is unmistakably and undeniably responsible for adding a sound to my music. It's metallic in nature. Anyone know anything about this?

I'm really disappointed. I like the new-to-me Foobar, but not if it's adding to the music.

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 7
I'm new to Foobar. I did a few random internet searches for "foobar plugins," and other variations with the "EQ," I didn't come up with much.

Does anyone know of a site of the top of their head for "audiophile related" plugins?

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 7
hydrogenaudio mentioned above - search around and you will find plugins that suit your needs...

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 7
EQs no matter how good WILL ALWAYS DIGRADE THE SOUND.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 7
Lol at funny guy above
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back