Foobar kicked my a&*& again
Jul 15, 2005 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
Backing up Foobar cfg file is useless.

Well, Foobar got me again. I experienced an electrical problem and had to turn off my power conditioner/UPS before properly shutting down Foobar. Of course, when I opened Foobar later, I got an error message and found all my settings messed up.

The worst part when this happens is that your playlists get wiped out, at least partially. This has happened to me with improper shutdown before, and I was advised to back up my Foobar cfg file.

Well, even after I replace the messed-up cfg file with my backup copy, the playlists remain destroyed. Tried all kinds of different ways of replacing the messed up cfg with the backup copy, but playlists don't come back.

So I'm finding out painfully that cfg backup doesn't do anything when Foobar wipes out playlists. If somebody knows how to restore my playlists, please let me know now, PULEEZE!

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 12
Don't you save your playlists somewhere? Just right click on the tab and choose save playlist, if it gets wiped it you should be able to just re-load it.

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 12
Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to get your playlists back unless you saved them somewhere. The cfg files is just for the settings.

foobar.jpg

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to get your playlists back unless you saved them somewhere. The cfg files is just for the settings.

foobar.jpg

In the past, I tried making duplicate copy of my playlists folder. The last time this happened, when I moved the backup playlists folder to Foobar, the playlists I saved had the same corruption as the old playlists! This is why I thought cfg backup is needed to correctly link all playlists to the main music folder..

Arrg, this really S**ks and my only gripe (a BIG one) w/ Foobar.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 12
I agree that this is deffinatly the biggest problem with foobar and hopefully it will be fixed in 0.9 or at least soon. I just backup the entire foobar folder every week or so. When something goes wrong I don't loose anything besides what I changed during backups.

Something I am not sure of is how your choice of "making individual settings for all users" or "making only one set of settings for all users" effects how you have to backup. I only use one set of settings for all users so I can verify that a backup of the full folder works for that option. I'm not sure where options or playlists are saved on a per user basis if you use the other option.

Edit: clarity

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikkoman
I agree that this is deffinatly the biggest problem with foobar and hopefully it will be fixed in 0.9 or at least soon. I just backup the entire foobar folder every week or so. When something goes wrong I don't loose anything besides what I changed during backups.

Something I am not sure of is how your choice of "making individual settings for all users" or "making only one set of settings for all users" effects how you have to backup. I only use one set of settings for all users so I can verify that a backup of the full folder works for that option. I'm not sure where options or playlists are saved on a per user basis if you use the other option.

Edit: clarity

But have you actually successfully restored your playlists after Foobar actually crashed? The playlists' songs are referenced uniquely internally w/in foobar, and I'm not sure if using the entire backup foobar folder will bring back the playlists once it crashes.

Also, where do you store your backup foobar folder? I've had instance when I had 2 duplicat foobar.exe on the same PC where PC had problems mixing up the two and bringing up the other.

Where is this setting located? "making individual settings for all users"

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 12
Jul 15, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 12
All you have to do is copy the whole foobar folder and put it somewhere safe and it should save everything including all your settings. What I do is copy the foobar folder before a format or moving to another computer and then when I install foobar on the new destination I just delete the folder just created with the new install and replace it with the backup copy and it has all my settings and kept all my play-list. I have been doing this for months because I was trying out windows 64 on my main computer and I am still undecided if I like it
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by king896
All you have to do is copy the whole foobar folder and put it somewhere safe and it should save everything including all your settings. What I do is copy the foobar folder before a format or moving to another computer and then when I install foobar on the new destination I just delete the folder just created with the new install and replace it with the backup copy and it has all my settings and kept all my play-list. I have been doing this for months because I was trying out windows 64 on my main computer and I am still undecided if I like it
tongue.gif

So, you're talking about saving the entire foobar folder onto a CDR or something... Hm This could be my answer, rigth after I re-make all my playlists from thousands of songs in my main folder
frown.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #10 of 12
You should be able to find your playlists here:

C:\Program Files\foobar2000\playlists

If they aren't there, then you can make sure to back up the contents (*.fpl) of that folder in the future
cool.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
You should be able to find your playlists here:

C:\Program Files\foobar2000\playlists

If they aren't there, then you can make sure to back up the contents (*.fpl) of that folder in the future
cool.gif

Thanks for the thought. I have no problem finding the playlists b/c the fpl files are still where they were. When you load them, though, most of the songs are gone from the playlists after foobar crashes. As I said, I even tried keeping backup copies of these fpl playlists on another hard drive, but once foobar crashes, these backup playlists' songs wipe out as well..

Jul 16, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Compressed the full foobar folder is only around 5 mb and I have a bunch of extra plugins and stuff so it could be reasonably small. I have a 2 hard drive setup (36 gb raptor for programs and OS, 320 GB for the rest) one with operating system and programs and another with saved information and music files and it works in perfect harmony because if you backup your stuff once a week you never really lose anything if you main hard drive crashes as everything is backup-ed on a separate drive and all you have to do is reinstall the programs and what not. Be warned this is my experience with this so your might differ so try it out before totally relying on it but for me it works perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back