foobar kernal streaming
Mar 2, 2006 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SprySpectre

100+ Head-Fier
I have an E-MU 0404, am running windows XP Pro, and use foobar for music. I'd like to enable Kernal Streaming, but no matter what setting I seem to use, it won't work. I've tried the following already:

16-bit padded to 32 bit, 24 bit fixed point, 24 bit padded to 32, 32 bit fixed point, and 16-bit padded to 24.

I currently have Strong ATH for dithering enabled, and use 4 DSP's: volume control, advanced limiter, resampler (ssrc), and the equalizer.

I run the 0404 via analog to a panasonic xr-55 receiver. I'd be more than happy to give any more information you need to fix this, just let me know.

So is there anyone out there who has an 0404 with XP pro and has kernal streaming working properly in foobar? What are your settings at?

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 18
I have an 0404 and Kernal streaming works fine. It works at 16-bit, 32-bit, 24 padded to 32 (those are the only ones i tried). It works with the resampler on; it works with it off also.

But I mainly use ASIO. It performs the same function as Kernal streaming but while kernel streaming is more of a hack, ASIO is actually a feature built into the 0404; might as well take advantage of it by getting the foobar ASIO dll and placing it in your components folder.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 18
I have an 1820M rather than an 0404, but I believe the drivers should work similarly. It's tough to offer any concrete suggestions when you simply say "it doesn't work" - we need more information. Like the others replies, it 'just works' for me.
ASIO is a better bet, but there are reasons to use kernel streaming - in my specific case I'm running some ASIO dsp/filtering appications, and so have to use kernel streaming from foobar to take advantage of the multi-client drivers.
The main candidate for your problem is likely that you don't have the WAV strips in patchmix set up correctly. If you're getting sounds from other Windows programs, though, then this isn't the problem.

The other question I have is if you have a Panny XR55 why the heck are you running analog to it? It will sound better when run via a digital output. The performance via digital inputs makes the Panny receivers slam-dunk best-buy material (although the analog performance of the 55 is much better than the 25s that I also have)

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwk
I have an 1820M rather than an 0404, but I believe the drivers should work similarly. It's tough to offer any concrete suggestions when you simply say "it doesn't work" - we need more information. Like the others replies, it 'just works' for me.
ASIO is a better bet, but there are reasons to use kernel streaming - in my specific case I'm running some ASIO dsp/filtering appications, and so have to use kernel streaming from foobar to take advantage of the multi-client drivers.
The main candidate for your problem is likely that you don't have the WAV strips in patchmix set up correctly. If you're getting sounds from other Windows programs, though, then this isn't the problem.

The other question I have is if you have a Panny XR55 why the heck are you running analog to it? It will sound better when run via a digital output. The performance via digital inputs makes the Panny receivers slam-dunk best-buy material (although the analog performance of the 55 is much better than the 25s that I also have)

In every other program sounds seem to work fine...I think i'll try the ASIO thing. Sounds like the best way to do it.

I was under the impression that the DAC in the Panny wasn't as good as the DAC on the 0404. If it's a better DAC on the Panny, I have the cable to run it digitally...in fact that's what I used to do with a H/K AVR225 that I had. The Panny replaced it, and I was told by a reputable guy (Zemo on Sharky Forums...and I'm pretty sure he frequents/frequented here as well. He has his own site at http://z-audio.com) that in general, the DAC on the 0404 is 9 times out of 10 better than most receiver's DACs. I'm assuming he was referring to lower to mid end receivers. He's done 0404 mods for a long time.

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GotNoRice
I have an 0404 and Kernal streaming works fine. It works at 16-bit, 32-bit, 24 padded to 32 (those are the only ones i tried). It works with the resampler on; it works with it off also.

But I mainly use ASIO. It performs the same function as Kernal streaming but while kernel streaming is more of a hack, ASIO is actually a feature built into the 0404; might as well take advantage of it by getting the foobar ASIO dll and placing it in your components folder.

So I downloaded the DLL, and put the .dll file that was in ->bin->normal into the components folder, foobar recognized it, but i'm still getting output errors. this time it's "unsupported data format." Should I be using the ->bin->SSE or SSE2 instead?

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprySpectre
In every other program sounds seem to work fine...I think i'll try the ASIO thing. Sounds like the best way to do it.

I was under the impression that the DAC in the Panny wasn't as good as the DAC on the 0404. If it's a better DAC on the Panny, I have the cable to run it digitally...in fact that's what I used to do with a H/K AVR225 that I had. The Panny replaced it, and I was told by a reputable guy (Zemo on Sharky Forums...and I'm pretty sure he frequents/frequented here as well. He has his own site at http://z-audio.com) that in general, the DAC on the 0404 is 9 times out of 10 better than most receiver's DACs. I'm assuming he was referring to lower to mid end receivers. He's done 0404 mods for a long time.

When running digital, the Panny does not use a DAC, per se. It amps the digital signal, puts it through a digital filter, and sends it to the speakers. I have an SA-XR55, and all I use is digital. Think of it like this: Why would you buy a digital reciever only to use an analog IC? On www.avsforum.com, that gigantic thread about the 55 summarizes that according to a few people, the digital sounds more clear, and the analog sounds more warm. YMMV. You have the cable, try and see
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

I was under the impression that the DAC in the Panny wasn't as good as the DAC on the 0404. If it's a better DAC on the Panny, I have the cable to run it digitally...in fact that's what I used to do with a H/K AVR225 that I had.

To elaborate a bit on what roadtonowhere said: The Panny is different than most other receivers out there in that it works entirely in the digital domain right up to the switching output transistors - there is no conventional line-level DAC, but rather the entire amplifier uses a zero-feedback PCM->PWM modulation scheme that avoids analog completely (of course the output from the switching power stage is analog to feed the speakers). If you run an analog signal into the Panny, it will digitize it using an A/D converter, and then run it through the standard digital pathway. In other words, you're ALWAYS using the digital output conversion of the XR55, but by running analog from the 0404 you're incurring an unnecessary DA/AD stage.
You are right though that if you have a receiver that has an analog bypass feature that avoids all A/D conversion on the input, then using the 0404 DAC would be a better bet than relying on the DAC in the receiver.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 18
you tried the exe version of the asio plugin right?
thats what i had to do with mine. although i'm on a 410.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
you tried the exe version of the asio plugin right?
thats what i had to do with mine. although i'm on a 410.

I wasn't exactly sure what to do with the .exe version...i tried running each of the .exe files in the folders, and they didn't seem to do anything. I assumed they'd just copy over the .dll file for you and if any of that other stuff was important they'd get that to where it needed to be. But instead, it just left each program running, so when I tried using foobar the ASIO option wasn't even there.

I suppose I could manually move the .dll and run the program, see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
When running digital, the Panny does not use a DAC, per se. It amps the digital signal, puts it through a digital filter, and sends it to the speakers. I have an SA-XR55, and all I use is digital. Think of it like this: Why would you buy a digital reciever only to use an analog IC? On www.avsforum.com, that gigantic thread about the 55 summarizes that according to a few people, the digital sounds more clear, and the analog sounds more warm. YMMV. You have the cable, try and see
smily_headphones1.gif

I have read through some of that thread before I purchased, and thanks for that clarification. I may have to snag that cable back from my roommate to see which I like better.

and dwk, thanks for the elaborated info, that makes perfect sense now.

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

I wasn't exactly sure what to do with the .exe version...i tried running each of the .exe files in the folders, and they didn't seem to do anything. I assumed they'd just copy over the .dll file for you and if any of that other stuff was important they'd get that to where it needed to be. But instead, it just left each program running, so when I tried using foobar the ASIO option wasn't even there.

I suppose I could manually move the .dll and run the program, see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

you dont actually run the exe version. treat it the same way as a .dll
just stick it and any other files that extract with it, into the foobar components folder. restart foobar, and then check to see if it shows up the the foobar preferences. you may get an error saying that there is multiple asio.dll files, if so just delete and asio dll files you can find in the components folder and restart foobar again and see if it shows up then!

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
you dont actually run the exe version. treat it the same way as a .dll
just stick it and any other files that extract with it, into the foobar components folder. restart foobar, and then check to see if it shows up the the foobar preferences. you may get an error saying that there is multiple asio.dll files, if so just delete and asio dll files you can find in the components folder and restart foobar again and see if it shows up then!

Here's the output I get:

INFO (CORE) : startup time: 906 ms
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://D:\My Music\iTunes\Santana\Greatest Hits\06 Black Magic Woman.mp3" (0)
INFO (foo_output_asio(exe)) : open : 48000 Hz, LINEAR PCM, 16 bits, 2 channels
INFO (foo_output_asio(exe)) : ASIO device type [channel 0] : Int32LSB
INFO (foo_output_asio(exe)) : ASIO device type [channel 1] : Int32LSB
ERROR (foo_output_asio(exe)) : unsupported output data format.

I have the entire contents of the extraction in the components folder, except the SSE and SSE2 folders, which I deleted after getting the multiple asio files warning. So the only .dll files I have are in the "normal" folder with both the .dll and the .exe file.

I'm at a loss...is there a simple plain english directions that start from the point of downloading the file? The two text files that it came with have some sort of problem, i'm guessing language packs.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 18
i've never gotten that one before.... you may want to start a new thread asking for help with a foobar error and repost that error like you just did.
i have no idea what to do about that one, sorry.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Here's the output I get:

INFO (CORE) : startup time: 906 ms
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://D:\My Music\iTunes\Santana\Greatest Hits\06 Black Magic Woman.mp3" (0)
INFO (foo_output_asio(exe)) : open : 48000 Hz, LINEAR PCM, 16 bits, 2 channels
INFO (foo_output_asio(exe)) : ASIO device type [channel 0] : Int32LSB
INFO (foo_output_asio(exe)) : ASIO device type [channel 1] : Int32LSB
ERROR (foo_output_asio(exe)) : unsupported output data format.

I have the entire contents of the extraction in the components folder, except the SSE and SSE2 folders, which I deleted after getting the multiple asio files warning. So the only .dll files I have are in the "normal" folder with both the .dll and the .exe file.

I'm at a loss...is there a simple plain english directions that start from the point of downloading the file? The two text files that it came with have some sort of problem, i'm guessing language packs.

You usually get that message if your foobar setting doesn't match your soundcard/DAC. For example, for my Lynx card, I have to set the Foobar under "playback" to 32 bit (32 bit fixed or 24 padded to 32). For M-audio transit, I have to set Foobar to 24 bit. I don't know what your device supports, so try all of them (16, 24, 32 bit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back