Foobar easy switching between output devices
May 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Pagail118

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I wonder if there is anything easy to switch from one device to another in foobar. Whenever I want to switch from my DAC+amp to speakers, I need to go in the settings and switch. It's kind of annoying. Is there any plug-in or something you use to switch ?

Thank you !

May 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm the only one that find that annoying ?!

May 14, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 20
I find it annoying too, I just don't know of a faster way.

May 14, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 20
I will try to look at the sdk to see if there is no way to program something so it is easier.

May 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 20
I would love a solution that auto switches from KS:USB to DS:USB when 961000/24 tracks are played. As of now, the player stalls, and I need to switch outputs manually.

A plugin that allowed me to set default output according to the track bitrate would solve my issue.

May 14, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 20
OK the sdk is a little bigger then I thought. C++ is not my thing, so that won't happen. The idea with cfg could be use... Will try to find something !

May 15, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 20
yeah kinda annoying but if u are using some Foobar skin(UI) you can easilly go to the setting menu.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 20
Old topic, but still useful question.

I would appreciate assigned buttons in Foobar to switch between devices as I was frequently switching output devices, recently.

Check this (old) forum out:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=81466

In brief: There is not a solution, but:

- Holding shift + clicking on "playback" in the toolbar will let you change the output device as well.

- Simply, leave the preferences for the output window open on the side of screen or a different one.

- Use 2 portable installations of foobar - both identically setup, except each is set to a different device.

I have tried to assign a shortcut to the device, but it will always return a null device instead.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 20
For anyone else looking, I SoundSwitch very useful. Simple program which allows you to define which devices to toggle between and also to set the toggle button (but I can't seem to use Scroll Lock
frown.gif
). Another alternative which I found useful was this guy's article: http://tomchuk.com/post/changing-the-default-playback-device-on-windows-7-with-less-clicking-4

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 20
We also use foobar now for playing DSD files. Fast switching between sound outputs is important. We found this solution:

You can use these shortcuts: ALT+SHIFT+P+I.

Maybe this is too long for you. You can then better create a windows batch file like this and save it for example as switch-output.vbs

Set sh = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
sh.Run """C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe""", 3, True
sh.SendKeys "+%PI"

You can then create a desktop shortcut and assign a shorter shortcut like crtl-alt-o.

:)

Jan 12, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 20
Even after 12,5 years this topic is relevant. I wonder if the initial poster ever found an answer or is even still interested, but I had the same question today and found this topic. It did not give me the final answer but it did point my nose in the right direction.

In Foobar2000 v1.4 (and maybe also in earlier versions) you can go to Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. Then add a new key, position your mouse in the "Key" input field and press the key combination you'd like to use on your keyboard. In the "Filter list by" input field under "Action" enter the word "Output" and then select the device you want to be activated by this shortcut. Repeat all this for the second device with another shortcut.

When you switch, you don't get feedback, other than the sound (or the absence thereof) from you amplifier or whatever is connected.

Thank you all for keeping this topic alive all those years.

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 20
Even after 12,5 years this topic is relevant. I wonder if the initial poster ever found an answer or is even still interested, but I had the same question today and found this topic. It did not give me the final answer but it did point my nose in the right direction.

In Foobar2000 v1.4 (and maybe also in earlier versions) you can go to Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. Then add a new key, position your mouse in the "Key" input field and press the key combination you'd like to use on your keyboard. In the "Filter list by" input field under "Action" enter the word "Output" and then select the device you want to be activated by this shortcut. Repeat all this for the second device with another shortcut.

When you switch, you don't get feedback, other than the sound (or the absence thereof) from you amplifier or whatever is connected.

Thank you all for keeping this topic alive all those years.

Perfect! This help too much! Thanks a lot!

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #15 of 20
When I switch between external DACs I need to change the Output Format. It would be helpful if there was a way to specify the Output Format per device. Is that possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back