Foobar -- Clipping detected??
Feb 20, 2007 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Headphoneus Supremus
Sometimes when I am listening to music with foobar, the console pops up and says that clipping was detected. Here is an example:
Code:

Code:
[left]INFO (CORE) : startup time: 46 ms INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback : INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\My Music\Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Don't You Fake It\Face Down.flac" (0) INFO (foo_output_asio(dll)) : open : 96000 Hz, LINEAR PCM, 32 bits, 2 channels INFO (foo_output_asio(dll)) : ASIO device type [channel 2] : Int32LSB INFO (foo_output_asio(dll)) : ASIO device type [channel 3] : Int32LSB INFO (CORE) : Clipping detected. ERROR (foo_flac) : FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback : INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\My Music\Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Don't You Fake It\Face Down.flac" (0) INFO (foo_output_asio(dll)) : open : 96000 Hz, LINEAR PCM, 32 bits, 2 channels INFO (foo_output_asio(dll)) : ASIO device type [channel 2] : Int32LSB INFO (foo_output_asio(dll)) : ASIO device type [channel 3] : Int32LSB INFO (CORE) : Clipping detected.[/left]

This is really confusing me because I pass the udial clipping test (hear phone dialing with faint high pitch noise in background)!

I am listening with the setup in my signature. Can anybody help me get to the bottom of this please?
confused.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 13
Are you using any DSPs? ( I assume you are very able to set up an equalizer, so you won't have to mention that) There are some DSPs which might cause clipping. I am talking mainly about resamplers or other SRC programs.

It's could also be the FLAC itself, but that is something I really doubt since you don't need a lot of knowledge to be able to do that right. ( and most likely you've got enough knowledge about that anyway)

I could start whining about latency, but once again I suppose you are able to set this up the right way.

This leaves me with the DSP which isn't all that plausible either. I think your best bet is to go to HydroGen Audio and ask the same thing again. There are a lot more people over there who are a lot more knowledgeable about these thing than I am.

Btw. if you find the answer to this maybe you can post it here. Since I wasn't able to find it out and I would still like to know what causes this.

Thank you and good luck.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using foobar 0.8.3 and the original SRC (not SSRC) resampler. Could that be causing it?

It might. You can try this one to compare.

http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/fb2k.html

Edit; If you are not a registered member of HydroGen I could post the question for you if you like. Else you will have to wait for a few days before being able to post a question.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 13
It's the file that's clipping, not foobar as such. The gain on the file needs to be reduced a bit. That'll stop that message. I MP3 gained all my files and i just don't get the clipping detected message any more. I have to up the volume a little on the amp, but otherwise all is well. The resampler won't cause clipping, resampling errors perhaps, but not clipping. Clipping is the signal going too high for the dac chip, if the signal is too large, you'll get clipping, it's possible a dsp that boosts signal levels (EQ or gain or something similar) could cause clipping. Hence i leave all dps's off in Foobar.

Feb 22, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the file that's clipping, not foobar as such. The gain on the file needs to be reduced a bit. That'll stop that message. I MP3 gained all my files and i just don't get the clipping detected message any more. I have to up the volume a little on the amp, but otherwise all is well. The resampler won't cause clipping, resampling errors perhaps, but not clipping. Clipping is the signal going too high for the dac chip, if the signal is too large, you'll get clipping, it's possible a dsp that boosts signal levels (EQ or gain or something similar) could cause clipping. Hence i leave all dps's off in Foobar.

It's no wonder you sold you K1000. Your music files really are that bad quality
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's no wonder you sold you K1000. Your music files really are that bad quality
tongue.gif

Umm that was meant for 003 wasn't it. Highest AKG I have is the modest K340
340smile.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. I should've specified.

having said that i'm pretty sure if I'd owned a k1000 I'd have known about it
smily_headphones1.gif

For a start my wife would have given me no end of grief about how they looked
smily_headphones1.gif
she still thinks my K340's look weird..
340smile.gif

good idea slogra - saves changing the files in any way. (not so usefiul if you're sharing among devices, but for foobar only - it's a daimond idea)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back