Foobar 0.9 out!
Mar 19, 2006 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 124

luukas

500+ Head-Fier
And it's about time, too. Not that we can demand anything.
biggrin.gif

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=42591
http://foobar2000.org/foobar2000_0.9.exe

Now to wait for components... ASIO would be nice.

Mar 19, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 124
That's great... and not so great. I think old modifications won't apply with this new one.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 124
Quote:

- Dropped Windows 95/98/ME/NT4 OS support. Windows 2000, XP or newer is now required.

I wonder why they did that... in particular, 98SE and ME are still used by a few diehards.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I wonder why they did that... in particular, 98SE and ME are still used by a few diehards.

Because they shouldn't be used by anyone - diehard often just means stubborn.
wink.gif

They are officially unsupported OSes and most modern software doesn't support them, so it's not realistic to maintain code for them. Trust me, this will only make the application as a whole better.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
Because they shouldn't be used by anyone - diehard often just means stubborn.
wink.gif

They are officially unsupported OSes and most modern software doesn't support them, so it's not realistic to maintain code for them. Trust me, this will only make the application as a whole better.

Yes, I agree. Windows 2000 was actually a very nice OS, and a lot of businesses still use it, but I think I like Windows Server 2003 better. And here I am typing this on XP. I hate Microsoft, they have market share demand for most users, and next will be Vista :|. I plan to buy a mac in the future, but will probably end up upgrading my rigs hardware wise, and then to vista to take advantage of it. Just hope the DRM doesn't bite my legally ripped & downloaded music (Well iTunes DRM already bit me, I supose.)

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Yes, I agree. Windows 2000 was actually a very nice OS, and a lot of businesses still use it, but I think I like Windows Server 2003 better. And here I am typing this on XP. I hate Microsoft, they have market share demand for most users, and next will be Vista :|. I plan to buy a mac in the future, but will probably end up upgrading my rigs hardware wise, and then to vista to take advantage of it. Just hope the DRM doesn't bite my legally ripped & downloaded music (Well iTunes DRM already bit me, I supose.)

I use both a mac and pcs, and Apple most certainly has it's own problems, it's just different (and certainly better for relatives who are prone to getting spyware then calling you for help
wink.gif
). It's also important to note, that most of the nastiest DRM issues in Vista (cablecard, HD video downsampling, "authorized" media center pcs, etc) weren't microsoft's desire, they were forced on them by the media giants. It certainly doesn't help Microsoft's sales. It's only a matter of time before they do the same with Apple, though it will be interesting to see if Steve fights back, which he did to make iTunes DRM as liberal as it currently is.

I suggest venting on the MPAA, RIAA and their equivalents around the world, they are the root cause of most consumer media agony these days.
frown.gif

Anyway, back on topic, can't say I look forward to reconfiging .9 since the indietorrents version of foobar vanished, that made life much easier. I can waste waaaaaay too much time configing foobar myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
I use both a mac and pcs, and Apple most certainly has it's own problems, it's just different (and certainly better for relatives who are prone to getting spyware then calling you for help
wink.gif
). It's also important to note, that most of the nastiest DRM issues in Vista (cablecard, HD video downsampling, "authorized" media center pcs, etc) weren't microsoft's desire, they were forced on them by the media giants. It certainly doesn't help Microsoft's sales. It's only a matter of time before they do the same with Apple, though it will be interesting to see if Steve fights back, which he did to make iTunes DRM as liberal as it currently is.

I suggest venting on the MPAA, RIAA and their equivalents around the world, they are the root cause of most consumer media agony these days.
frown.gif

Anyway, back on topic, can't say I look forward to reconfiguring .9 since the indietorrents version of foobar vanished, that made life much easier. I can waste waaaaaay too much time configuring foobar myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am a poweruser myself, and by far understand the whole DRM thing. I still think people sometimes exaggerate DRM, (it is very very bad, but people go to such extreme limits to pirate stuff it's ridiculous.)

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 124
Is there ASIO support in Foobbar 0.9?

I have checked but I couldnt find the link and the old "ASIO dll for 0.83" doesnt work.

Another question, is it worth changing from 0.83, sonically I couldnt hear any difference. "0.83 with ASIO" sounds better than "0.9 without ASIO" to my ears.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 124
Mar 19, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 124
How about Columns UI, crossfeed and many other useful components. I think 0.9 won't be perfectly usable for a while.

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 124
Hmm, no more SSRC resampler .. I thought SSRC was superior to PPHS? Anyway, too bad kernel sampling doesn't work for me. I guess I'll be using 0.8.3 with ASIO until it comes out for .9. I need my crossfeed and Columns UI.

EDIT: Found a Columns UI: http://music.morbo.org/beta.php

EDIT2: I like this Columns UI. And I definitely like the cleaned-up Preferences window. I think I'll just start using .9 now.
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
Hmm, no more SSRC resampler .. I thought SSRC was superior to PPHS? Anyway, too bad kernel sampling doesn't work for me. I guess I'll be using 0.8.3 with ASIO until it comes out for .9. I need my crossfeed and Columns UI.

EDIT: Found a Columns UI: http://music.morbo.org/beta.php

EDIT2: I like this Columns UI. And I definitely like the cleaned-up Preferences window. I think I'll just start using .9 now.
biggrin.gif

Post some screenshots, I've been wanting to install foobar, but I have so many media players (i used to use foobar). Does it play AAC? I hardly remember, I think it may, as long as they aern't from iTunes.

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 124
Nice that Columns UI and crossfeed are there already.

Still audioscrobbler, track info panel, bluetooth remote and some other components would be nice. And of course that ASIO is must have.

Does that new Columns UI apply old codes so I can easily make 0.9 look like my current 0.8.3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back