Folkvangr DAC pairing?
Jul 19, 2022 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KeyboardCowboy

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a Schiit Volkvangr on order and am wondering what everyone's suggestion on DACs to pair it with. I currently have an Atom DAC+ which honestly is really good, especially for the price. But, I might be setting up a portable Atom stack and get a different DAC for my desktop setup. I've been eyeing the Topping D90SE. It looks like it performs really well and is under $1k. But, how would something like that pair with a tube amp?

Thanks

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 9
Hello,

I have a Schiit Volkvangr on order and am wondering what everyone's suggestion on DACs to pair it with. I currently have an Atom DAC+ which honestly is really good, especially for the price. But, I might be setting up a portable Atom stack and get a different DAC for my desktop setup. I've been eyeing the Topping D90SE. It looks like it performs really well and is under $1k. But, how would something like that pair with a tube amp?

Thanks
It will pair fine. I’m really impressed by the Folkvangr and think it is good enough to justify getting a really great DAC. It performs exceptionally with my Bifrost 2, so I can unreservedly recommend that, but I haven’t heard the Topping and can’t really comment beyond saying my old Topping D50 was boring compared to the Bifrost 2.

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 9
Folkvangr would sure bring some life out of the D90SE. Just make sure that the output impedance of the D90SE has more than enough damping factor (1:10) minimum with the Folkvangr or you'll get unnatural sounding sonics

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 9
It will pair fine. I’m really impressed by the Folkvangr and think it is good enough to justify getting a really great DAC. It performs exceptionally with my Bifrost 2, so I can unreservedly recommend that, but I haven’t heard the Topping and can’t really comment beyond saying my old Topping D50 was boring compared to the Bifrost 2.
Go full bore non-over-sampling R2R….🤔….Denafrips Ares II, Denafrips Pontus II….Mojo Audio Mystique X….

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Go full bore non-over-sampling R2R….🤔….Denafrips Ares II, Denafrips Pontus II….Mojo Audio Mystique X….

Add Bifrost 2 OG in NOS mode. I love its signature with my tube amp

Nov 4, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 9
Have you tried these pairings? My Folkvangr is getting ready to ship, and I'm now on my 4th rig, wanting to move beyond Schiit (have a BF 2 OG, Gumby, Yggy LIM) and a little gunshy about the Ares II (now Enyo apparently) paired with this much bass distortion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back