Folks over 30 who play video games (and general new console help, please)...
Jul 6, 2002 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
...he asked sheepishly.

Part of me really wants to buy a X-Box/Playstation2/Gamecube or whatever. Are you over 30, and do you have such a device, and how do other over-30 folks feel about it? Do you hide it from your visitors? I am unmarried and childless so I can't say "oh, it's for my kids".

I take it the most popular of the new consoles is the Sony. I would likely RENT most video games instead of purchase and I have easy access to a Blockbuster which I believe rents video games. I would get the majority of my games from Blockbuster, so that's a consideration as to which console I would buy. Is the Sony the way to go (anyone can answer)? Thanks in advance.

markl

Jul 6, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 56
I'm 30 and if I were to buy a console it would be the PS2 simply because I already have a few PS games. Even if I didn't the allure of Grand Theft Auto 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2 are pretty compelling. If I could do without those two, I'd get an XBOX.

Jul 6, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 56
I think a mature adult would derive more satisfaction from PC gaming than consoles (just IMO, I tend to enjoy games that require thought).

On the console side PS2 is the way to go. Xbox's future is in doubt and Gamecube is targeting the younger audience.

Jul 6, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 56
Thanks, guys, so far, but...

Let me cut right to the chase...

How do the lay-deez
biggrin.gif
feel about your gaming consoles lying on your floor?
cool.gif
I think I'll have hard enough time explaining my audio rig.
rolleyes.gif

markl

Jul 6, 2002 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 56
Hmm, born in 1981 according to his profile, but somehow over 30 years old, eh SumB? BTW, I'd like anyone to play Eternal Darkness and claim the GameCube is only for little kids w/ a straight face.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 56
http://www.reuters.com/co_news_prese...symbol2=MSFT.O

http://www.planetxbox.com/news/searc...&recordcount=0

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...07KTX1K0000361

There are plenty more where those came from. Microsoft is projected to lose $750 million this year on the system. Sales in Japan and Europe remain way below expectations. Nvidia and Microsoft are in arbitration over chipset prices (Microsoft wants Nvidia to share in the finantial beating, Nvidia won't have any of it).

Now MS has announced plans to turn the system into an all in one multimedia box ala the failed Philips CDI and Panasonic 3DO.

Jul 6, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
Microsoft is projected to lose $750 million this year on the system. Sales in Japan and Europe remain way below expectations.

The problem with the XBox is that there aren't any good games for it. Only Halo and Dead or Alive 3 are good; the former for gameplay, the latter for graphics, not gameplay. Another problem is that Microsoft has a strict "content" policy for games to make sure XBox games are "family friendly", forcing them to have little violence, profanity, and no adult themes. As you can imagine, this doesn't make the XBox popular among the teenage demographic. (Dead or Alive 3 would be better with a little blood.) Occasionally the policy is just silly; e.g. they removed references to the Vietnam war from the music in Jet Radio Future. (Compare with the Sony PS2, where in GTA you can solicit prostitutes and then murder them to get your money back.)

Jul 6, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #11 of 56
acs236: Aren't we all not into ****?
biggrin.gif

markl: Good man - you ask the right questions. Approaching it from the pratical aspect (what can I lend from my local video store?) is the way to go, I think. I guess, the PSX and PS2 will still be the best choice for that - over here, they are. The ladies' aspect is also not too bad with a Playstation 1 or 2. One example is Carolin, a friend of mine, who beats the hell out of anyone who dares to challenge her in one of these karate games (forgot the title - probably out of frustration...
smily_headphones1.gif
). And most of the girls I know also like sweet games like Bubble Bobble. So for this aspect: Get a console with lots of sweet games, and you'll have a house full of screaming young ladies - which is a lot of fun. And please tell me how you made it, as soon as you have managed to make an orgy out of a girls gaming session (I'm still working on that part...)!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 6, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy

The problem with the XBox is that there aren't any good games for it. Only Halo and Dead or Alive 3 are good; the former for gameplay, the latter for graphics, not gameplay. Another problem is that Microsoft has a strict "content" policy for games to make sure XBox games are "family friendly", forcing them to have little violence, profanity, and no adult themes. As you can imagine, this doesn't make the XBox popular among the teenage demographic. (Dead or Alive 3 would be better with a little blood.) Occasionally the policy is just silly; e.g. they removed references to the Vietnam war from the music in Jet Radio Future. (Compare with the Sony PS2, where in GTA you can solicit prostitutes and then murder them to get your money back.)

We keep having this conversation in here. Anyway, there are plenty of good games for the XBox including: Amped, Burnout, Hunter, a couple that you can also get on the other systems, and a ton of great sports games.

Jul 6, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 56
Markl,

One other thing regarding the renting of games. You're probably aware of this, but one problem with renting is that it's difficult to finish a game in the 3 days or so they give you unless you play it obsessively. I just get a few minutes here and there, so it takes me a while. Of course, if you don't care about finishing games, it shouldn't be a problem.

Jul 6, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 56
markl,

I am a proud owner of the PS2 and XBox...I am 34. I waited 12 hours in line for my PS2 when in came out almost 2 years ago. I just bought the XBox when the price dropped a few weeks ago. They are both great systems.

IMHO it's all about the games. PS2's game library is in the hundreds. XBox is around 70-80. The PS2 also has more must-have games. I think Sony's position as the top selling console is not going to be topped by their competitors any time soon. There may not be that many games out for the XBox, but wait until the 2nd generation XBox games come out (Halo 2, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex2 James Bond, Nightfire, Timesplitters 2).

Just with the PS2, programmers and game designers for the XBox will start maximizing its processing power. The separation between the PS2 and XBox graphics will start to widen in favor of the XBox. A former PS2 exclusive title such as Metal Gear Solid will probably look better and play better(?) on the XBox. Better graphics does not always mean better gameplay.

Does the XBox have a future? Yes, with Mr. Gates DEEP pockets they will turn it around. Will they supplant Sony, doubtful.

Which one to get? Dunno...buy both! Since it is all about the games, get the PS2.

Regards - reynman

Jul 6, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 56
Regarding the ladies, my suggestion is to sign up for Big Brothers, but then never visit the kid. When a woman comes by and points at the machine in disgust, you can say "I picked that up shortly after becoming a Big Brother." She'll think you're compassionate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back