foldable/closed cans on the go
Jul 23, 2002 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jdat

New Head-Fier
hi!
I'm looking at getting some foldable closed ear pad headphones and not to sure about what cans I should consider.
Here's my requirements :
they have to be foldable to be able to fit in a coat pocket or anything small could do
strong cause they will get crushed in my backpack
of course good sound
price range 50/100$
oh and I don't want earbuds!
and nothing to huge either, want to keep it discrete

they will be used on the go, bike riding in noisy traffic, bus transport subway plane , just about everything so they have to have excellent isolation + I don't want to disturb neighbours either.
I don't want no extra amp.
and can give decent sound even at low volume.

I mostly listen to electronic / classical music + the news

they'll also be used at home on the computer

I will be using them on my current cd player, soon upgrading to an md player.

I use 7506s a lot for live sound needs ( monitoring for concerts etc ) and I really like these headphones and might even consider these but if anyone has suggestions for smaller or better sounding headphones I'd gladly take your mark and see from there what I should do.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 17
The eggos would be absolutely perfect if not for two things:

1) They are only semi-closed and offer poor isolation compared to *foldable* closed cans like the V6/7506 and Senn HD280Pro.

2) If you will be riding your bike as mentioned above you would hear the wind whistling through the hole in the eggo's enclosure which is very annoying to say the least.

If you don't want earbuds then I think you may already own a pair of the best phones that meet your criteria.

Jul 23, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 17
I guess some of us have a deathwish.

There seems to be no shortcut, here, as the Eggos are only semi-closed cans. Otherwise, they'd be a perfect choice.

Since I have, officially, become a happy owner of a set of ER-4P's, I've become a member of Team Ety. They'd certainly work for you if you accepted the 'canal' phone design.

Cheers. BTW, did you fill out your organ donor card?
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 17
I agree with baldguy, riding a bike with headphones is stupidity, but riding a bike with closed phones is utterly insane. If you must ride with headphones, you owe it to yourself & those you share the street with at least to use an open pair of phones--the etys, which close off the rest of the audio world, would be the worst choice - it should be (and might be) illegal to bike with those headphones. For the bike, leave em off, or at least use something like Koss portapros or KSC 35s which are open, compact, have great sound, don't need an amp, and are cheap (I have both but prefer the portapros since the 35s are clip-ons).

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 17
jdat, I'd advise against closed headphones if you're going to listen to music while riding a bike. Better still, I'd advise against using headphones while riding a bike. Thus, the only way that I'd recommend listening to music on a bike is with a speaker-equipped "boombox" portable - and a cheap one at that.

Jul 24, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 17
riding a bike in traffic with headphones on isnt too bad, as long as you keep the music really low, it could actually preserve your hearing, and watch the mean remarks.

the only thing that is closed, offers isolation, sounds better then your sonys, and are tough are the HD280 pro, but they are a lot bigger. if you are willing, get the sony ex70 (canal phone {like a comfy earplug, not earbud}) or the aiwa vx100. otherwise, the eggos would work, save for the isolation. i really recommend the ex70 or aiwa vx100.

Jul 24, 2002 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 17
Bike riding with closed phones? Perhaps you do deserve an HD280... "Biker with stupid-looking headphones gets run over"

On this very rare occasion I'll agree with a1leyez0nm3 and recommend you one of those two in-ear phones based on your needs, plus a KSC-55, Portapro, etc when you're biking, if you HAVE to have it. But I'd say any form of eargear is a foolish thing to do for biking.

Jul 28, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Stretch your budget big time, swallow your pride and get the Etymotic ER6... and do *not* use them while on a bike or walking; only in sitting situations where situational awareness isn't REALLY needed, like the bus or train....

Jul 29, 2002 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 17
I am perhaps a minority here but I'd recommend Philips HP 550. They are, closed (although some don't believe it), foldable, easy to drive and sound good plus come at a very reasonable price. To me these are the closest to Koss sound in a closed phone.

Jul 29, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

I'd recommend Philips HP 550. They are, closed (although some don't believe it)

No way! The Philips are way overrated, and they are NOT closed. They have vents on the bottom portion of the earcup whose holes are slightly offset so that they are not directly open holes. They leak sound, yet still have that typical closed, "tinny" sound. They also do not isolate at all. It has been said that perhaps the European version is slightly different than what we have here in the states, although no one has confirmed that either way.

If the Ety route is not for you, then I recommend you just stay with the Sony 7506's you currently have. You won't get a better closed can under $80. And if you insist on using headphones while biking (crazy IMO!), then at least the car drivers can plainly see that you are wearing headphones and will (hopefully) know to stay away from you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:16 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
No way! The Philips are way overrated, and they are NOT closed. They have vents on the bottom portion of the earcup whose holes are slightly offset so that they are not directly open holes. They leak sound, yet still have that typical closed, "tinny" sound. They also do not isolate at all. It has been said that perhaps the European version is slightly different than what we have here in the states, although no one has confirmed that either way.

If the Ety route is not for you, then I recommend you just stay with the Sony 7506's you currently have. You won't get a better closed can under $80. And if you insist on using headphones while biking (crazy IMO!), then at least the car drivers can plainly see that you are wearing headphones and will (hopefully) know to stay away from you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, I believe what I hear. My pair (same as yours or not I don't know) isolates much, much better than any open phone i have (and I have a few) and doesn't leak nearly as much as the open ones. Soundwize, tinny is not how I'd describe them. If there is a sond weakness it might be the overtight bass, but tinny- my turn to say NO WAY! For 25-30 € it is hard to find something that sound considerably better (PortaPro sells for 70€ overhere).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back