Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 5, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #18,256 of 20,536
I'm honestly hoping it has the same sound signature as the OG but bigger soundstage and slightly more sub bass
That's the winning ticket.

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #18,257 of 20,536
Utopia is better technically. The timbre difference is pretty much objective, Stellia sounds more natural. Resolve & Convince me Audio have confirmed this fact
I'm not sure how "natural" timbre is an objective fact given the vagaries of measuring headphones, but as a concertgoer for several decades (as well as an erstwhile musician), I think I know it when I hear it. Also, Crinacle assigned the Utopia a grade of S (higher than A+) in the Tone category, while Stellia was given a C+, FWIW.

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #18,258 of 20,536
Is there anything in the new literature that talks about improved sound? So far just reliability, new look, and new price.

Same sound actually isn’t a bad thing since many of us feel it’s already about perfect. And if ever had to buy a new one, get the same sound. But if no change in sound, a lot of the people with open wallets who are willing to give the Utopia another shot might pass.

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #18,259 of 20,536
Ok, in it's entirety (minus specific details that might jeopardize my source):

Content was removed in response to a copyright claim by a third party.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 5, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #18,260 of 20,536
Violins, cellos, upright bass? Acoustic Guitars? Clarinets? Xylophone? Many percussion instruments?
Literally all metal. What do you think the strings and valves are made of?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #18,261 of 20,536
So here is the improved sound quality you get:

To push the limits of Utopia even further,
to improve linearity and reproduction of the
treble

So no improvement in bass or soundstage. Can’t say I had issue with treble and not sure how improved linearity is going to sound. I guess some say the Utopia lacks some of the sparkle some other headphones had. These improvements sounds like good things.

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #18,262 of 20,536
"new design codes" and "future Utopia products"

What does that mean? Is there going to be a different Utopia product than this one (maybe the Grande Utopia, rumored), or am I just reading too much into that?

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #18,263 of 20,536
I'm intrigued, and I will be watching, but I am NOT immediately sold. I am entirely content with my OG Utopia, I do not want for anything. If they want me to pony up ANOTHER $5k they're really going to have to convince me it's worth my while.

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #18,265 of 20,536
@Nomax is this new Utopia what you have been talking about for a while now, or were you talking about something else?

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #18,266 of 20,536
Thanks for this

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #18,267 of 20,536
The silver connectors on the 2022 cables leave a lot to be desired over the original black fittings. However, I appreciate they listened to feedback and no longer include the short 1.2m, 3.5mm cable that was introduced in 2020. The new 1.4m, 3.5mm cable is a good change.

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #18,269 of 20,536
"mainly staying away due to driver clipping"
They didnt acknowledged that cause hardcore fanboys kiss their ass no matter what.
Good manufacturer like Sennheiser acknowledged their flagship complaints and improved things like soundstage from 650 to hd800 and treble peak from hd800 to hd800S.
Denon much improved their tonal balance and reworked original fostex crap crap headband desing while Fostex refuse to do changes.
Manufacturers like that who listen to community deserve utmost respect.

Focal actually did acknowledge the clipping on this forum, in a post by "Marine" their community relations rep.

Their solution? For people to listen to their headphones at a lower volume. Seriously

Original response linked below

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...iew-measurements.867615/page-46#post-14228871

Honestly, it's the only reason I don't own a pair of Utopia, and would consider buying a new version if it had this problem fixed. Waiting patiently until that is confirmed or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back