Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 4, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #18,183 of 20,433
Hopefully this utopia creaks less when you put it on.
A good headphone, but for a 4000+ dollar flagship but its got its fair share of issues.. :)

Torque applied to CF tends to make it creak. I‘d guess that the amount of additional thickness necessary to completely eliminate the noise isn’t worth the added weight and loss of flexibility. Some design tweaking will, hopefully, reduce it.

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #18,184 of 20,433
Aug 4, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #18,185 of 20,433
Love the side view. The Red in the centre looks awesome
Yeah, this side view makes it look a lot better. It reminds me of a black hole

092719_mt_blackhole_inline_680-1.gif

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #18,186 of 20,433
Zero issues with my Utopias. Zero interest in new model. Pretty much over chasing gnats. Regardless what is done to sound stage, they are still headphones. I do know now I like open HPs, and they will never have the bass of closed. And once I got my LTA, there is nothing bass shy about the Utopias. They have fantastic punch, accurate, and they go down to 20 hz. They lack for nothing. Maybe I'll try the new ones when the next upgrade comes out....

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #18,187 of 20,433
Zero issues with my Utopias. Zero interest in new model. Pretty much over chasing gnats. Regardless what is done to sound stage, they are still headphones. I do know now I like open HPs, and they will never have the bass of closed. And once I got my LTA, there is nothing bass shy about the Utopias. They have fantastic punch, accurate, and they go down to 20 hz. They lack for nothing. Maybe I'll try the new ones when the next upgrade comes out....
The Utopias aren’t bass shy, I agree. However they are also not Abyss 1266 Phi TCs either (which are open backs as well). The design of the Utopias will not allow it to have TC bass, but perhaps a new upgrade could allow for more sub bass quantity (maybe)

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #18,188 of 20,433
Aug 4, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #18,189 of 20,433
The Utopias aren’t bass shy, I agree. However they are also not Abyss 1266 Phi TCs either (which are open backs as well). The design of the Utopias will not allow it to have TC bass, but perhaps a new upgrade could allow for more sub bass quantity (maybe)

What makes you think headphones should sound like the Abyss 1266 Phi TCs in the first place though?

The benchmark is the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650 series.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #18,190 of 20,433
What makes you think headphones should sound like the Abyss 1266 Phi TCs in the first place though?

The benchmark is the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650 series.
Personal preference. The poster was claiming no open back could have bass better than a closed back and that Utopia is not bass shy. I immediately thought about the TCs. It was a counter argument. I also like sub bass, because I listen to a lot of hip-hop

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #18,191 of 20,433
Both pads and driver size looks same as before, old Utopia has somewhat extended treble so surprised if new manages to pull noticeably more soundstage. Guessing less treble and more bass for new version but time will tell.

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #18,192 of 20,433
EDIT: Appears it might actually be a type of Carbon Fibre.

I can't help but wonder if they are reducing their BOM by not using carbon fibre etc...whilst likely increasing the MSRP to try to keep within their preferred margins and the overall state of how much materials (and shipping, and everything really) cost nowadays.

I could also be entirely wrong and it is carbon fibre, but painted for a new look, or something. Not sure. All baseless speculation on my part.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #18,193 of 20,433
I can't help but wonder if they are reducing their BOM by not using carbon fibre etc...whilst likely increasing the MSRP to try to keep within their preferred margins and the overall state of how much materials (and shipping, and everything really) cost nowadays.

I could also be entirely wrong and it is carbon fibre, but painted for a new look, or something. Not sure. All baseless speculation on my part.
There is something weird going on with the maybe carbon fiber part of the new Utopias. It has weird texture and layers. Maybe it is painted carbon fiber like you suggested. Either way it looks a little blotchy and sloppy

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #18,194 of 20,433
isn't that carbon fiber for the yokes? it's UD carbon fiber. commonly seen on road bikes/custom car parts.

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #18,195 of 20,433
isn't that carbon fiber for the yokes? it's UD carbon fiber. commonly seen on road bikes/custom car parts.
Certainly could be man. I'm not sure. Will have to wait for september for specs I suppose :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back