Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 22, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #16,336 of 20,536
Which frequency was the boost please?
Dude, look at the graph in the photo. The settings of the boost is already in there. Smooth transition boost that fade from 20hz to around 300hz

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #16,337 of 20,536
Dude, look at the graph in the photo. The settings of the boost is already in there. Smooth transition boost that fade from 20hz to around 300hz
Thanks. Reading on a phone it was difficult to see. Appreciate the info.

Oct 24, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #16,338 of 20,536
How's the female vocal performance on these? Both lower and higher end voices. Shouty? Intense? Thin? Airy?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #16,339 of 20,536
My Elite Hybrid has the same type of gasket. Not sure the material.
How likely it is for these Dekoni pads to also end up melting like those from Focal? I should receive my Elite Fenestrated early next week and I'm curious to know. May drop an email checking with Dekoni (if someone hasn't done this already).

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #16,340 of 20,536
Oct 24, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #16,342 of 20,536
From the Utopia headphone. I failed to read up, my bad.
No problem. Female voice is superb. Intimate, yet space around it, beautiful insight, no issues at all with higher stronger notes. Take Amy's voice from Evervesence on The Bitter Truth. I had to turn down the volume on my Shures, on the Utopias, just wonderful.

Mobile I'm running Plenue 2 mk 2 through Mojo no EQ. Desktop, no EQ, running usb through Arche.

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #16,343 of 20,536
Superb impressions. Thinking about sealing the deal on a mint used Utopia. I cannot get enough of well done female vocals. On the Clear they were great. Just wondering how much more so here.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #16,344 of 20,536
For me, Utopia always benefit greatly from a good source, such as a good amp/dac. Some portable source might be able to drive them to a good volume, but I don’t think you will get anywhere near totl/flagship sound performance.
I listened Utopia from Ifi black label. It sounds decent, but in my opinion. it does not justify paying over 4K USD for them.
I used to drove my Utopia from a streamer/player, dac and pre/headamp trio ( Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA-3 and Audio gd HE-9) that worths around 8000$ not including cables.

I am now driving the Utopia with the new iBasso DX-300 MAX selling for 2300$ and I absolutely not having the impression that I’m losing anything in terms of pure performances and listening pleasure.

It’s quite the opposite in fact. The MAX is a fantastic all in one solution with a sound quality and power that really make the Utopia sings. It also bring the extraordinary commodity of beeing transportable.

All that beeing said, I certainly know that you can go higher in the chain with a cost no object approach. I really would like to try something like dcs Bartok, Dave, WA33 among others one day.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #16,345 of 20,536
^^ That M17 looks interesting but then I see that dual 788 and sabre and I'm like "dry much?"

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #16,346 of 20,536
I used to drove my Utopia from a streamer/player, dac and pre/headamp trio ( Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA-3 and Audio gd HE-9) that worths around 8000$ not including cables.

I am now driving the Utopia with the new iBasso DX-300 MAX selling for 2300$ and I absolutely not having the impression that I’m losing anything in terms of pure performances and listening pleasure.

It’s quite the opposite in fact. The MAX is a fantastic all in one solution with a sound quality and power that really make the Utopia sings. It also bring the extraordinary commodity of beeing transportable.

All that beeing said, I certainly know that you can go higher in the chain with a cost no object approach. I really would like to try something like dcs Bartok, Dave, WA33 among others one day.

I’ve had the same experience with my Utopias and the Shanling M8. It’s just as enjoyable as my Topping D/A90desktop rig, which makes me wonder if anything really matters — measurements, cost, reviews, etc., more than one’s subjective impressions and preferences. Going to audition some very high end gear, and very well may end up sticking with a DAP!

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #16,347 of 20,536
I've received the pads now (Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin).
DKN1.jpg

- Not as neat as the original (you can see consistency (or lack thereof) of the seam.
- Not as soft as the original.
- Also use some kind of rubber/foam/etc between the pads and the headphones.
- Most importantly, for sound, the pads add more bass and cut off the top end to certain degree. I don't like the change the pads bring about as it affects how dynamic and detailed the Utopia is known for.
- Will buy the original if my current original pads fall apart.

In summary > I don't like the pads.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #16,348 of 20,536
This Dekoni pads are crap compared to original. With original pads you have this premium feeling and better sound.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #16,349 of 20,536
My dealer has found a couple og pads in Canada and offered them to me for his cost and shipping. I look forward to the og. The Dekoni are ok if you get your ear right inside the pad but they do seem to dampen the transient attack. I’m using my Odins in lieu at present.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #16,350 of 20,536
Just finished my headphone wire ordered some blackdragon from moon audio and had a furutech 6.3 in stock and a set of lemo’s from france for 25,- the set. Mann what a diference compared to the pre 2020 cable, a veil or blanket dissapeared and everything is better. Damnn. The headphone was 90% compared to my two way speakers but upped to 95%. Stil missing some stage and the bass it will never have but this is heaven. Also the soundstage improved dramaticly with these cables. Doing it yourself the cable only costs 225,- all in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back