Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 28, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #14,611 of 20,550
By the way, I see that you use Niimbus US5 Pro. I'm eager to know how it is with the Utopia. I'm using V281 and like it, and the Niimbus seems to be a logical (big) step up. I only have 4 headphones and only listen to Utopia / Empy regularly, so if it pairs well with these headphones, I'm happy.

Curious to know what's the improvement over V281.
My Niimbus will come in May, i now use V590 Pro.

Mar 28, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #14,612 of 20,550
Mar 28, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #14,614 of 20,550
I have the Corpse Gravedigger cable for the Utopia and I think it's a good cable for the money. I like the Wywires Platinum better than the Corpse and it's on sale for 40% off. My latest cable purchase is the Double Helix Complement 4 and it's my current favorite but it's probably outside of your budget. I also have the Norne Silvergarde S3 cable but I like the Wywires and DHC better. If you go with a Moon Dragon cable for the Utopia, I recommend the Black Dragon. I've owned all 3 Dragon cables and I prefer the Black. I think the Silver Dragon would be too bright and while you might be initially impressed, I think in the long run you would find it fatiguing.
apologies if I’ve already asked you
Steve, hiw does the complement 4 compare to silvergarde 3 and stock utopia?

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #14,616 of 20,550
Anyone came from a Diana V2 to Utopia or vice versa ?
I've currently got both of them, along with ZMF VO, and Hifiman HE-1000 V2... I'll be putting the Dianas up for sale, though, and the Hifimans too...

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #14,617 of 20,550
I've currently got both of them, along with ZMF VO, and Hifiman HE-1000 V2... I'll be putting the Dianas up for sale, though, and the Hifimans too...

What do you like about the utopia over the V2 ? I feel conflicting on the V2, I keep thinking that its just to average for the price, but I want to like it more especially because I like the build.

Mar 28, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #14,620 of 20,550
What do you like about the utopia over the V2 ? I feel conflicting on the V2, I keep thinking that its just to average for the price, but I want to like it more especially because I like the build.
For me, the Utopia and the ZMF present the music as a more unified, coherent whole, where the whole is at least as important as the sum of its parts. I found the Dianas to make each element in the music sound really excellent - they are fine headphones indeed! - but it just didn't present it, I dunno, organically maybe? Might just be coincidence, but I found that the Utopia and the ZMF, both of which are dynamic, do this better than the planars I've experienced. The dynamics also have a beefier, more midrange, to me, than the planars... Might have nothing to do with anything. All these headphones I've got around right now are excellent; it's just a matter of personal taste from that point.

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #14,621 of 20,550
Since I bought the Utopia 5 months ago, I've been on the quest to tame its sibilant.

My setup before the change was:
- MBP + Audirvana
- Ayre QB9 Twenty
- V281
- Good quality XLR / USB cables (not name-brand)

With stock Single Ended cable, I found that high was almost unbearable (I'm very sensitive to sibilant), so I did my research and found that Dana's Lazuli Ref is among the best cables for the Utopia and can help tame the high, so I did order it.

With the Lazuli Ref, the headphones behaved a lot better [deeper low / meatier mid / calmer high]... but it was not enough to tame the high, as sibilant was still too hot for me for bright albums.

Below are what I did in hope that the headphones can be more enjoyable...
- Replacing my MBP with Aurender music server (sounds A LOT better than MBP) but still too hot...
- Replacing USB cable with Curious Evolved 1.5M (more mellow tonality)... but still too hot...
- Replacing AC cords for V281 & QB9 with Synergistic Research Foundation 10 & 12 AWG... but still too hot...
- Replacing AC cord for Aurender with Shunyata ZiTron Digital (did make a HUGE difference)... but still too hot...
- Replacing fuses in my Dac / Aurender (the server takes 2 fuses) to Synergistic Research Orange Audiophile Fuses... but still too hot...
- Replacing XLR cable with Audience AU24 SE... but still too hot...

All the above but still couldn't get rid of that annoying spike in S / SH sound... until I replaced my wall receptacle (from generic ground outlet) with Wattgate 381 (gold plated earlier model that known to be superior to newer versions). After doing this last step I couldn't believe that my persisting / annoying problem is almost FIXED! (well not 100% since with bad / hot records, those ear-piercing sibilants still came back... but now the headphones sound a lot more agreeable to my ears).

Looking back, the changes above total to over USD 10K (excluding the price of original amp, DAC and other equipment in the system)... and I'm now not sure whether what I achieved is worth it... but what I can say is that the headphones now sound so much more enjoyable and I now understand the potential of these headphones (I'm sure they can improve further with higher-end system). Perhaps if I'd started from the wall receptacle, I wouldn't have to pay this much changing other equipment in the chain.
I have my Utopia since February of 2017 and despite multiple changes in my set up (like you I changed my computer + Audirvana plus for an Aurender N100H with great results) I never found them too hot. But I learned quickly in this hobby the importance of taking care of the power. Ultimately, the sound we are hearing as music is in fact electricity. So around 2014, on the recommendation of a canadian cable maker (Steven Huang of Audio Sensibility), I have decided to try an upgrade power outlet, a Furutech GTX-D gold. The improvment was immediate and not subtle in comparison of the Hubbel hospital grade I had. Gone the fatiguing ringing and welcome much lower noise floor, calmer and tighter sound. Then shortly after I bought the matching steel wall plate and carbon fiber cover. Not cheap but same kind of improvments. The vibrations of electricity reduced to a minimum. That is the trick. Later on along the way, I bought another Furutech GTX-D but in Rhodium platting. Much different sound than gold but still with the benefits of a much lower noise floor and absence of ringing. Gold and Rhodium have each their advantages and disadvantages sonically in comparison of each other. Gold is warmer and more organic with fuller bass and midrange but is slower and much less airier and detailed than Rhodium.

I wish that I can combine the best attributes of both. That’s where arrived the new Furutech GTX-D NCF Rhodium. Steven Huang told me that I absolutely have to try the new NCF formula. The praises and reviews from users were starting to show on different forums and I ordered one. Wow! Clarity, air, speed of Rhodium but with the organic and fuller sound of gold. Best of both worlds. A significantely better outlet brand new but much better after long burn in. I now have two NCF outlets out of my walls in one in my power distribution box. I can’t encouraged you enough to try them and look at reviews and comments on the web. If you go that route, go all in and buy the steel wall plate and NCF cover too. These make a diffrence in performance. I know it’s expensive but the end result on your system will most probably surprises you at a level you are not expecting.

On a final note, regarding tweaks, along with Synergistic Oranges fuses, I bought some Bybee IQSE to put inside components. It really help to clean the poiwer and found that I get results similar to changing the wall outlet but to a lesser and more variable degree depending on the component it’s put in and the set up. It’s an affordable way to help cleaning your power.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #14,622 of 20,550
For me, the Utopia and the ZMF present the music as a more unified, coherent whole, where the whole is at least as important as the sum of its parts. I found the Dianas to make each element in the music sound really excellent - they are fine headphones indeed! - but it just didn't present it, I dunno, organically maybe? Might just be coincidence, but I found that the Utopia and the ZMF, both of which are dynamic, do this better than the planars I've experienced. The dynamics also have a beefier, more midrange, to me, than the planars... Might have nothing to do with anything. All these headphones I've got around right now are excellent; it's just a matter of personal taste from that point.

Man, I'm going to have to try before I blind buy again. I suspect that I like DD more as well.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #14,624 of 20,550
returning to the utopia for a listening session after an absence is like an audio renewal for me. i am immediately reminded of the first time i auditioned it and the lasting impression that it made.

here's a link to a relatively recent review of the utopia that may be of interest: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...ill-the-best-dynamic-driver-headphone-in-2021

the reviewer should have done a little home work as the utopia is not focal's first headphone

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #14,625 of 20,550
returning to the utopia for a listening session after an absence is like an audio renewal for me. i am immediately reminded of the first time i auditioned it and the lasting impression that it made.

here's a link to a relatively recent review of the utopia that may be of interest: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...ill-the-best-dynamic-driver-headphone-in-2021

the reviewer should have done a little home work as the utopia is not focal's first headphone
We are in total agreement; can you believe it? Now, I have purchased a new Abyss 1266 (latest version) which I’m still waiting for but the Utopia is VERY stiff competition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back