Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 21, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #13,816 of 20,550
Maybe 2022...once Covid19 going away by then?
Early Utopia adopter here since 2016.
Still sounds so dam good.....not looking for alternative yet....

Three new Focal headphones should be launched in 2021, this year, at different times... Big renewal... I know more, from different sources, but promised not to disclose ...
Start saving money for the last one of those ...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #13,817 of 20,550
Having my Utopia on the way i wonder about the amp. Currently i use an Audiovalve Solaris which i consider to sell. I plan to to use the Utopia as the only headphone (or together with Ananda and HD600/650) and if i don't like it i sell all headphone related stuff and just stick with mobile and speakers.

Of course i'll give the Solaris + Utopia combination a shot but the Solaris has so much more power than i ever need and that's not good for energy consumption + it gets quite warm.

So maybe i'll change to a smaller amp.

Is there any amp that pairs well with the Utopia that fullfills the following criteria:

- solid state or changeable to tubes (like ICan) (no pure tube amp)
- preamp function
- remote control
- available in EU
- good measurements

?
I just received my Utopia se in a day ago , I use an AudioValue Luminare and working fine. Everything doing so smooth and balance, very happy with it, no complaints.
thumbnail_IMG_0158.jpg

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #13,818 of 20,550
Tell me who is listening to utopia with hugo tt2, at what amplification level do you turn them on?

I have been entertaining thoughts of a new toy - Chord TT2.
For the past 3 years I have used my Utopias exclusively in balanced mode with a Kimber Axios cable.
I am having a hard time getting around driving it in single end.

How is the performance SE through TT2 when compared to Balanced operation with other amps?
And before anyone asks - coming primarily from 2 channel and source first approach - my Utopias are sourced from a $25k Linn Klimax DS with either a GSX Mini or new Violectric V550 Pro amplifier. The Linn is significantly better than a TT2 (and Dave as well according to many)

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #13,819 of 20,550
And here comes everyone's favourite question- cables! What is the consensus, if there can be one, on the best compromise between sound, price point and ergonomics for a cable upgrade? I am pretty happy with the stock cables but still curious about aftermarket options. The Danacable Lazuli Reference seems to be getting lots of positive feedback but its thickness and price tag are definitely a big of a turn off.

Other options I have seen mentioned on here are the Arctic Cables Signum+ and the Kimber Axios.
Thoughts?

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #13,821 of 20,550
I just received my Utopia se in a day ago , I use an AudioValue Luminare and working fine. Everything doing so smooth and balance, very happy with it, no complaints.

My experience is that all transducers benefit from more power than needed. The only reason to change would be if you are looking for a different character or like changing equipment.

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #13,822 of 20,550
And here comes everyone's favourite question- cables! What is the consensus, if there can be one, on the best compromise between sound, price point and ergonomics for a cable upgrade? I am pretty happy with the stock cables but still curious about aftermarket options. The Danacable Lazuli Reference seems to be getting lots of positive feedback but its thickness and price tag are definitely a big of a turn off.

Other options I have seen mentioned on here are the Arctic Cables Signum+ and the Kimber Axios.
Thoughts?
I auditioned the Danacable with my Utopias and did find it a discernable improvement over the stock cable, notably in the bass and soundstage, two areas often cited as weaknesses for the Utopia. However, it was too bulky/heavy for comfort, so I sent it back. A short while later, I bought a used Susvara, and do 99% of my headphone music listening on those cans now. The moral of the story is it's usually more cost-effective to spend money on better transducers than better cables.

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #13,823 of 20,550
I auditioned the Danacable with my Utopias and did find it a discernable improvement over the stock cable, notably in the bass and soundstage, two areas often cited as weaknesses for the Utopia. However, it was too bulky/heavy for comfort, so I sent it back. A short while later, I bought a used Susvara, and do 99% of my headphone music listening on those cans now. The moral of the story is it's usually more cost-effective to spend money on better transducers than better cables.

Well, that is valid prior to buying your headphones. I really like the Utopias and have been super happy since I got them.

I have speakers for when I want a bigger soundstage. Bass is just right for me.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #13,824 of 20,550

Well other consideration is the cost of the equipment to run the headphones.

And strange that see people point out bass improvement and not mention the mids when talking about Danacable. To me, the tone of the electric guitar with that cable is what makes it. But yes, it’s like a thick power cord. The stock feels light compared to it. But I don’t mind it. I don’t feel it pulling on me.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #13,825 of 20,550
The price of Danacable turn me away, actually I'm ok with the stock cable unless the it's bit too long and hard, I will try Nordost Hemdall 2 by switching the connecter from 3.5mm to lemo.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #13,827 of 20,550
Heck, I'm happy with the included 4 pin xlr cable. The Utopia sounds great! I've been having some late nights, it's addicting, can't stop listening.

(Having said that about the stock cable, I'm pretty sure I'll get restless and want to try other cables at some point)

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #13,828 of 20,550
Well, that is valid prior to buying your headphones. I really like the Utopias and have been super happy since I got them.

I have speakers for when I want a bigger soundstage. Bass is just right for me.
I'm not trying to disparage the Utopia. I still own mine and think it's a fantastic headphone. It's just not my favorite headphone anymore. I'm also not trying to disparage the Danacable. It is a notable improvement, and my only quibbles were ergonomics and price. Carry on.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #13,830 of 20,550
Heck, I'm happy with the included 4 pin xlr cable. The Utopia sounds great! I've been having some late nights, it's addicting, can't stop listening.

(Having said that about the stock cable, I'm pretty sure I'll get restless and want to try other cables at some point)
Is it normal that i didn't had an included 4 pin xlr? Only the 4m 6,3 mm cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back