Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 17, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #13,787 of 20,537
I'm listening to my new Utopia's tonight, and really enjoying them (how could I not!). I have the HD800s and while they sound great too, the Utopia's are really spot on so far. I'm listening to a Mozart piano concerto and really enjoying the realistic sound of the instruments. I'm listening with the RME dac and the gsx mini. Someday I'd like to hear them with a tube amp too. Such as the WA33. I'm also really interested in the Niimbus us4 (one of the top solid state amps).

But right now, with my current rig, the music sounds great! My first listening night with Utopia!! Fun!!!

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #13,788 of 20,537
I tend to use my HD800S with my RME/WA2 pairing rather then RME/V281. Utopia only get used with the RME/V281. Perhaps that’s why I don’t find them too similar.

I also tend to listen to different things with each. Utopia for EDM/Rock and HD800S for Jazz/soundtracks.

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #13,789 of 20,537
Greetings to all, relatively new to the forum
I have been enjoying my Utopias for the past 6 months but suddenly my right channel died.
(No I will not ask about the warranty!)
My Focal dealer (Ming in France) has been super helpful arranging for the return to Focal and has even offered to send me a replacement pair to have music until this is fixed. 5*** service here.
I will inform the group of Focal's customer service experience.
For now back to my old Grado RS1s

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #13,790 of 20,537
I'm listening to my new Utopia's tonight, and really enjoying them (how could I not!). I have the HD800s and while they sound great too, the Utopia's are really spot on so far. I'm listening to a Mozart piano concerto and really enjoying the realistic sound of the instruments. I'm listening with the RME dac and the gsx mini. Someday I'd like to hear them with a tube amp too. Such as the WA33. I'm also really interested in the Niimbus us4 (one of the top solid state amps).

But right now, with my current rig, the music sounds great! My first listening night with Utopia!! Fun!!!

I recently cleared up my listening area, and moved all my headphones onto a shelf in one of the bedrooms. I decided I'd choose just one headphone to be at the listening area attached to the amp all the time, and the Utopia was a no-brainer decision.

I'm listening to it with the wa33 and some nice tubes, and man.. I really wish you could hear what I'm hearing right now. This is one combo where I can really get lost in the music..!

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #13,791 of 20,537
Greetings to all, relatively new to the forum
I have been enjoying my Utopias for the past 6 months but suddenly my right channel died.
(No I will not ask about the warranty!)
My Focal dealer (Ming in France) has been super helpful arranging for the return to Focal and has even offered to send me a replacement pair to have music until this is fixed. 5*** service here.
I will inform the group of Focal's customer service experience.
For now back to my old Grado RS1s
unnamed.gif

giphy.gif

and all the best with that - Focal customer support seems pretty (pretty, pretty) good when mentioned here.

Bummer though that you've had the failure (not good) - sorry to hear that

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #13,792 of 20,537
I'm listening to it with the wa33 and some nice tubes, and man.. I really wish you could hear what I'm hearing right now. This is one combo where I can really get lost in the music..!

That has to be an incredible combo.

Have you carefully examined the sound with and without the EtherRegen? My audio guy said I should think about one... but sounded Ike he didn’t have actual experience with it himself.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #13,793 of 20,537
Jan 17, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #13,794 of 20,537
I recently cleared up my listening area, and moved all my headphones onto a shelf in one of the bedrooms. I decided I'd choose just one headphone to be at the listening area attached to the amp all the time, and the Utopia was a no-brainer decision.

Gosh I'd love to hear the wa33 no doubt! Like I said in the other post, I'm really interested in the Niimbus as well. In fact, when I get my next round of "upgrade fever" I might snag a Niimbus.

That said, I really had fun listening with the Utopia. Now, I had a bit of Whiskey in me, but still. I heard stuff in tunes I've never head before. In one of the Led Zeppelin songs (from Houses of the Holy) in one part of the song it was like Robert Plant was right there in front of me singing. Then it was like he was further away again. Stuff like that, I don't remember experiencing with any of my other headphones.

I think I'll stay with my current rig for awhile. I might (after upgrading it to A2 and Unison) bring my office Yggdrasil home and take the RME to the office for awhile. But we'll see.

Enjoy that wa33!! And your Utopia of course!!

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #13,795 of 20,537
Gosh I'd love to hear the wa33 no doubt! Like I said in the other post, I'm really interested in the Niimbus as well. In fact, when I get my next round of "upgrade fever" I might snag a Niimbus.

That said, I really had fun listening with the Utopia. Now, I had a bit of Whiskey in me, but still. I heard stuff in tunes I've never head before. In one of the Led Zeppelin songs (from Houses of the Holy) in one part of the song it was like Robert Plant was right there in front of me singing. Then it was like he was further away again. Stuff like that, I don't remember experiencing with any of my other headphones.

I think I'll stay with my current rig for awhile. I might (after upgrading it to A2 and Unison) bring my office Yggdrasil home and take the RME to the office for awhile. But we'll see.

Enjoy that wa33!! And your Utopia of course!!
Sounds really nice. Which brand of whiskey, please. :beerchug:

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #13,796 of 20,537
Sounds really nice. Which brand of whiskey, please. :beerchug:

Bulleit Bourbon. Frontier Whiskey for exploring the new Utopia Headphones :beerchug:

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #13,797 of 20,537
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #13,799 of 20,537
I’m listening with my WA5-LE and upgraded tubes and immersed in the music. I am a real 300B fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back