Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 25, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #13,246 of 20,433
It might not be important to you, but i think people should know about the bad things as well as the good things about these expensive headphones. If i knew about the problems with these 3 months ago i would've re-considered about buying them.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #13,247 of 20,433
It might not be important to you, but i think people should know about the bad things as well as the good things about these expensive headphones. If i knew about the problems with these 3 months ago i would've re-considered about buying them.

There's 883 previous pages littered with these talks. It's nothing new.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #13,249 of 20,433
Then the problem maybe a little bigger than we thought. In fact isn't that why they put the warrantee up to 5 years ?

Maybe, but we have no way of knowing the scope and reach of the issue.

The headphones have a 5 year transferable warranty. If this isn't good enough to calm your nerves and just enjoy the headphones long term than I suggest you sell them and move to another set.

Hashing these issues out for the 10,000th time won't change any of the facts or the routes to resolution if issues occur.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #13,251 of 20,433
those of us who have been frequenting this thread for more than three months are well aware of the "bad things as well as the good things"

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #13,252 of 20,433

So you didn’t read this thread before buying TOTL headphones? And after not reading the thread, you want to restart a discussion that the regulars here have had to wade through dozens of times in the last two years despite having no hard metrics on the scope of the “issue”?

um... thanks?

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #13,253 of 20,433
So you didn’t read this thread before buying TOTL headphones? And after not reading the thread, you want to restart a discussion that the regulars here have had to wade through dozens of times in the last two years despite having no hard metrics on the scope of the “issue”?

um... thanks?
Yes i did read the threads before i bought these headphones and read the problems, but to be honest i didn't think it would happen to me and when it does you feel different about it. Okay, lets drop it now, if it annoys some people about i won't mention it again.

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #13,254 of 20,433
Yes i did read the threads before i bought these headphones and read the problems, but to be honest i didn't think it would happen to me and when it does you feel different about it. Okay, lets drop it now, if it annoys some people about i won't mention it again.

I know this thread very well, and read it to death before getting my Utopia in October 2016. I was a bit worried but it worked out well. Fast forward some years, and I sold the Utopia to reduce my number of cans. But I began to miss it more and more, and bought it again. This is where my trouble started with the driver failing twice. Focal assured me my current model is all good, so let's see.

But the reason why I am writing this is that I understand just too well the need to tell the world what happened, since this is one of the few dedicated forums for it. I did it as well. As long as the poster has read the posts before, I fully sympathize. Not annoying.

But then, it is also ok to move on, but please share your experience with the Focal service. Mine was very positive.

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #13,255 of 20,433
I know this thread very well, and read it to death before getting my Utopia in October 2016. I was a bit worried but it worked out well. Fast forward some years, and I sold the Utopia to reduce my number of cans. But I began to miss it more and more, and bought it again. This is where my trouble started with the driver failing twice. Focal assured me my current model is all good, so let's see.

But the reason why I am writing this is that I understand just too well the need to tell the world what happened, since this is one of the few dedicated forums for it. I did it as well. As long as the poster has read the posts before, I fully sympathize. Not annoying.

But then, it is also ok to move on, but please share your experience with the Focal service. Mine was very positive.
If they fail, warranty or not, the info deserves to be posted. I am on a number of other threads and none of them speak of issues to this extent. Sounds like Focal needs to keep hearing about it.

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #13,256 of 20,433
I see nothing wrong with posting one’s issues with a product even if they have been discussed before. Everything changes with time and maybe there is a new answer. What else are these threads for? Let’s all be kind to each other especially in these troubled times.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #13,257 of 20,433
Focal is relatively new to the headphone game
they went from not transferable warranty to transferable
they then went from 2? years to 5 years warranty
I'm pretty sure they will reduce the price of the repairs after the 5 warranty expires in a few years.
I hope at least. cause the Utopia are my end game, but no way ill accept to pay 2k to replace their failed engineered drivers

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #13,258 of 20,433
Today I paid a visit to the local dealer to repair the Utopia.
They briefly test to confirm the driver failure then repacked for repair. No other questions ask.
The turn around time will be 2-3 weeks, hope it can come back before the Xmas.

I also have a listening session to the Susvara in the shop. The Susvara is connected to the Moon 430HA.
The soundstage is definitely better but less image accuracy. The base extension is slightly deeper than Utopia but lack of dynamic punching.
Overall it is a less "fun" headphone to listen to...I don't think Susvara is an upgrade to the Utopia, more like a taste difference.
This makes the price of Susvara really not justifiable. Now I can aim at electrostatics more confidently now :)

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #13,259 of 20,433
This makes the price of Susvara really not justifiable. Now I can aim at electrostatics more confidently now :)

E-stats lack in bass, imo. Still a sidegrade to the Utopia .... I think the Utopia is really very strong with either if's tasteful Xbass or some careful minor eq-uing for perfection.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #13,260 of 20,433
Today I paid a visit to the local dealer to repair the Utopia.
They briefly test to confirm the driver failure then repacked for repair. No other questions ask.
The turn around time will be 2-3 weeks, hope it can come back before the Xmas.

I also have a listening session to the Susvara in the shop. The Susvara is connected to the Moon 430HA.
The soundstage is definitely better but less image accuracy. The base extension is slightly deeper than Utopia but lack of dynamic punching.
Overall it is a less "fun" headphone to listen to...I don't think Susvara is an upgrade to the Utopia, more like a taste difference.

Hmmm.. I'm getting so much bass slam with the susvara, it's making my ear drums hurt!

But yes in general I do find the Utopia more fun to listen with.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back