Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 6, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #13,130 of 20,550
Looking for an stock/OEM Utopia 3 meter cable. Does anyone have a spare after a cable upgrade?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #13,131 of 20,550
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but can you guys recommend a good balanced cable for Utopia?

I'm using it with Violectric V281 (fed by QB9 DSD). I wanna tame the high a bit, and want a little bit more boost at the low end. It would be great if I can have bigger sound stage/separation. Is Silver Dragon good? I'm using Silver Dragon with my LCDX and I like it. Lazuli Reference seems to receive great praise, yet very expensive, and most importantly, it seems they dont ship to Thailand.

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #13,132 of 20,550
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but can you guys recommend a good balanced cable for Utopia?

I'm using it with Violectric V281 (fed by QB9 DSD). I wanna tame the high a bit, and want a little bit more boost at the low end. It would be great if I can have bigger sound stage/separation. Is Silver Dragon good? I'm using Silver Dragon with my LCDX and I like it. Lazuli Reference seems to receive great praise, yet very expensive, and most importantly, it seems they dont ship to Thailand.

I would highly suggest Equalizer APO and PEACE. You can EQ the treble down and boost the bass.

I highly doubt that any cable can alter the frequency response exactly the way you want it. Even if it can how do you know by how much treble will be reduced and by how much bass will be increased?

Most people who believe in cables changing sound say the silver increases the treble. Does your silver dragon increase the treble or upper mids of the LCDX? Can you hear a clear difference from the stock cable?

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #13,133 of 20,550
Maybe FAW Noir Hybrid or Toxic Silver Widow.

Nov 7, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #13,134 of 20,550

You can order an adapter (mini xlr to Lemo) and use your existing silver dragon cable. Others here including me have used the following ebay seller. Here’s a link to the specific converter you’ll need. Mine works perfectly!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audeze-LCD...353389?hash=item2a7d274a6d:g:2LcAAOSwTM5YxwFZ

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #13,135 of 20,550
Thanks everyone for your input. Will take that into consideration. First I may start with the adaptor as it can be the cheapest / easiest way to test out the synergy between the Dragon and Utopia, and will see how it goes from there.

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #13,136 of 20,550
Been away from here for awhile but time to log in again.

The Focal Utopia cans (I have two) can be a curse in that they are so revealing they demand the best possible input. And on that tack I've been a disciple of good DACs, having zeroed in on L.K.S. DA-004s (modded by Rick Schultz) as being the most critical link in the audio chain. Amplification was deemed fine via Violectric V281, then V280.

That was until I read a couple of reviews of the Audio-gd headamps. At aged 85 I've developed a degree of sceptacism about reviews and, admitting the amplifier is important, never placed undue emphasis on that part of the audio chain. Well I have had to backtrack and admit the amplifier IS more important than I previosly believed as the Audio-GD Master 9 IS significantly and obviously better at reproducing top sound for the Focals. The detail and delicacy, the handling of bass, the soundstaging, ..... are breathtaking on good recordings, and that is on CD quality, as well as hi-rez in Classical, jazz and all genre.

And the Focal curse on my second headphone setup in the office forced me to buy a second Audio-gd Master 9. As the manufacturer claims, it takes several hundred more hours of burn in above what is given at the factory for the amplifier to blossom in its full glory. But the reullt is genuine musical bliss :)

So guys, if you have an upgrade itch, I suggest you look into Audio-gd. Their products are affordable and yield first class sound.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #13,137 of 20,550
And a couple of diagrams to illustrate the pinnacle of my headphone audio addiction.

Attachments

• Main Headphone System Oct 2020.jpg
    Main Headphone System Oct 2020.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Main Headphone System.jpg
    Main Headphone System.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 7, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #13,138 of 20,550
So you say that Audio GD is vastly superior to V281 with the Utopia?

Need to give it a listen!

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #13,139 of 20,550
Yes and that is not rubbishing the V281 - a very fine unit. It is simply outdone by the audio-gd and those units can be purchased direct from the manufacturer at a very reasonable price. They delivered to me from China to Australia in less than a week which is faster than delivery within this country!!

It functions in pure class A which means it runs hot so needs good ventilation. I leave the two here on 24/7.

Nov 8, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #13,140 of 20,550
A further note about this amplifier.

One of the hardest instruments to reproduce is the harpsichord - it generally sounds a bit of a jangled mess on systems BUT it comes through with beautiful harmonics with the LKS/audio-gd combo feeding into the Focals.

What has inspired me to post this is listening to "Bach: Imagine" played by Jean Rondeau (of Jazz as well as classical fame). A comment on the ROON site suggests ".... and did not need help from the engineers who produce a rather harsh sound ...." Well I hear no harshness at all, just beautifully reproduced music!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back