Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 25, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #11,836 of 20,550
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

For those who use crinacle's iem ranking, here is his headphones list. Utopia takes top spot.

That list is pretty darn subjective. I sure like the Utopia and wouldn't argue with its placement, but there's a whole lot of headphones ahead of the Stellia I don't agree with. And placing the Stellia and Elegia in the exact same placement doesn't make sense. Does his ears work?

May 25, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #11,837 of 20,550
That list is pretty darn subjective. I sure like the Utopia and wouldn't argue with its placement, but there's a whole lot of headphones ahead of the Stellia I don't agree with. And placing the Stellia and Elegia in the exact same placement doesn't make sense. Does his ears work?

when he wrote that stax SR009 has bright neutral character, and at the same time zmf aelous also bright neutral, well, I know what I should do then :upside_down:

May 25, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #11,839 of 20,550
Hi all, I’m looking to get a desktop headphone amp for my Utopias preferably with both XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs, willing to go up to $6-7k but preferably closer to $2-4K. Could someone recommend a few amps I should look into that fall into this price range, have the XLR & RCA input options and work well with the Utopias?
my preferred set up is the dave (without the blu-2) straight into the utopias (from the front panel 1/4 phone plug) -- (using utopia standard cables -) -- the dave drives the utopias all the way without strain and the sound is not to be believed
jrf

May 25, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #11,840 of 20,550
Plus, the notion that Utopia’s value is ‘revolutionary’ seems like a stretch.

May 25, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #11,841 of 20,550
Headphones can sound different with different amps so always take reviews with a grain of salt. Crinacle uses an iFi micro black label.

May 28, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #11,844 of 20,550
Well after having my buddy's Utopia on-loan for a few weeks, I decided to leap back and pick up a pair this week. I also picked up a Nordost Heimdall 2 balanced cable to go with them. The Stellia have outstanding imaging and bass that works with more modern music, but the Utopia had a level of transparency that only the very select few achieve. Sadly, I let my Heddphones go and will be listing my rarely used HD800S. If anyone is interested in a fantastic condition pair of HD800S, please let me know. :)

May 29, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #11,849 of 20,550
Has anyone here heard the Focal Utopia with the Moon 430HA and Schiit Yggdrasil A2? Since I already own both of these devices, I'm considering that combination and would like some impressions, particularly about the synergy of course. I know that for output power the Utopia doesn't need the Moon, but I currently use it with my Audeze LCD-4.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #11,850 of 20,550
A few months ago, in a trip to Berlin had the chance to audition these, amongst a few other pairs. It was quite an experience, since at that point I owned the Elex and HD800 for almost a year each. The speed was (still is) quite impressive, and so is the ability to deliver good bass while keeping up with really busy passages. The tonality is also right up my alley, so I can use it with other recordings that weren't favoured by my Sennheisers.
So, fast forward to this week, I was finally able to grab one myself. Sold most of my older, mid tier pairs, keeping them just makes no sense for me anymore. Wanted to openly thank the folks at HiFi im Hinterhof, for so kindly letting me test their equipment and showing me around.

2019/2020:

Sem Título-1.png

Headphones can sound different with different amps so always take reviews with a grain of salt. Crinacle uses an iFi micro black label.

Yeah, I used to think that it was a myth, until I've got the chance to test more amplifiers. Class A seems to suit my tastes the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back