Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 21, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #11,119 of 20,550
January 4th this year. They were part of the Utopia and Questyle Q2PR bundle.

Right side driver was sounding fuzzy for a while, then completely cut out. Tried two different cables to make sure it was the headphones.

I've emailed the store, hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow.
Sorry to hear this.
Hopefully your dealer will resolve the issue quickly.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #11,120 of 20,550

Right side driver was sounding fuzzy for a while, then completely cut out. Tried two different cables to make sure it was the headphones.

Sorry to hear your problem.
Mine was early adopter when first came out. So, 3rd time a chime so far.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #11,123 of 20,550

My condolences. As an early adapter on my 3rd pair, I'm curious as to what the serial number is on your pair. If you don't mind could you please share the serial number, you can leave out the last 3 numbers. I'm wondering if this may be a earlier pair that my have some how remained in stock for an extended period of time.

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #11,124 of 20,550
Hi there,

Andrew Park posted a really nice, quite up-to-date video of the Utopia, impressions and measurements, I find it really worth watching.

It includes comparisons with some recent headphones like the ZMF Verite and the Hifiman HE1000se.
I was pleased to hear about his impressions and measurements of the default setting and the Utopia setting on the Focal Arche DAC-amp. These confirm my listening impressions
( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/page-735#post-15188208 ),
i.e. that I couldn't hear any difference in tonality between the two, in spite of being tired after having focussing on auditioning a number of DAC-amp before.

In case you haven't heard yet about Andrew Park (nickname "resolve"): he is the only one I can see as taking up the torch and filling in the void left after Tyll Hertsens retired, I find him smart, critical, and a great communicator. And fully independent : neither paid nor "receiving" (for free as a present) the expensive stuff. I understand he lives close to the location of headphones.com, taking headphones for his reviews and returning them, all he has to do is to mention their site in his reviews.

Enough talking, here is the video, enjoy :)
and have a nice weekend,
bidn

Great review. Thanks for calling it to our attention.

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #11,125 of 20,550
My condolences. As an early adapter on my 3rd pair, I'm curious as to what the serial number is on your pair. If you don't mind could you please share the serial number, you can leave out the last 3 numbers. I'm wondering if this may be a earlier pair that my have some how remained in stock for an extended period of time.

A1BEHG0059XX

The shipping date from Focal in France to the retailer is on the box - 10-19-2018

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #11,126 of 20,550
A1BEHG0059XX

The shipping date from Focal in France to the retailer is on the box - 10-19-2018
Thanks for sharing the information. Definitely not early production, my current pair are actually a little earlier at 1BHG0052XX with a Focal shipping date of 07/19/2018. Hopefully if the issue has not been totally resolved perhaps the rate of occurrence has dropped significantly. Best wishes and may you have your pair back in good working order in the near future.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #11,127 of 20,550
Thanks for sharing the information. Definitely not early production, my current pair are actually a little earlier at 1BHG0052XX with a Focal shipping date of 07/19/2018. Hopefully if the issue has not been totally resolved perhaps the rate of occurrence has dropped significantly. Best wishes and may you have your pair back in good working order in the near future.
Fingers crossed.
It definitely makes me nervous about their longevity. I have a 2 year warranty because I bought them online, and 10 months of that has already passed.
Wonder how much an out of warranty driver replacement is...

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #11,128 of 20,550
Fingers crossed.
It definitely makes me nervous about their longevity. I have a 2 year warranty because I bought them online, and 10 months of that has already passed.
Wonder how much an out of warranty driver replacement is...
focal extended the warranty for the utopia to five years so you might want to look into that. both drivers were replaced on mine when one of them failed.

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #11,129 of 20,550
there are fewer reports of it happening in this thread at least

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #11,130 of 20,550
focal extended the warranty for the utopia to five years so you might want to look into that. both drivers were replaced on mine when one of them failed.
I believe it's 5 years if you bought them at a brick and mortar store. 2 years if online only retailer. When I registered them at Focal, it states I have a 2 year warranty. I checked it and that hasn't changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back