Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 15, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #7,411 of 20,536
Can we talk about cables for a bit?

I have a WyWires Platinum XLR 8-foot cable that I'm looking to trade (or just sell) for something that's copper-based. After adding Silver Dragon interconnects, I think I've bent the stick too far with all the silver in my signal chain and am looking to dial it back and just experiment with other cables generally.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #7,412 of 20,536
My wording "incoherent peaky mess" may have been too strong. But my impression with Clear and Utopia were that I was splashed with sound all over. Maybe it was an information overload for the little bitty brain and ear that I have (coming from softly driven HD800) :) Somehow I adjusted over time. Perhaps a wishful thinking that the headphones settled in rather than my brain beginning to comprehend... :)
lmao!

May 15, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #7,413 of 20,536
Spent +/- 4hrs with my Utopia last night and have to say I haven't enjoyed my music as much as I did last night lately (don't know why) maybe I just needed some change?.

I found myself continuously adding tracks and kicked back relaxing while singing and toe tapping along, and can't wait to listen again tonight.

Also, I enjoyed the Utopia so much and I know after a couple of hundred hours they're going to change, but I'm really hoping they don't change much, I like them just the way they are to be quite honest.

In some cases I've experienced the sound of headphones I really enjoy warming up a bit more than I would like after sufficient burn in.

May 15, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #7,414 of 20,536
Spent +/- 4hrs with my Utopia last night and have to say I haven't enjoyed my music as much as I did last night lately (don't know why) maybe I just needed some change?.

I found myself continuously adding tracks and kicked back relaxing while singing and toe tapping along, and can't wait to listen again tonight.

Also, I enjoyed the Utopia so much and I know after a couple of hundred hours they're going to change, but I'm really hoping they don't change much, I like them just the way they are to be quite honest.

In some cases I've experienced the sound of headphones I really enjoy warming up a bit more than I would like after sufficient burn in.
My experience since January of this year had it's up and downs. Some days I would put them on and start jamming out and "WOW this is AWESOME" and then the next day not so much lol. I might be leaving the Utopia of headphones altogether this Friday and getting the new LCD-4z. We'll see.

May 15, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #7,415 of 20,536
I thought I'd share a couple of pix of the new headphone stand I picked up for my Utopia's.
It's a ROOMs FS Pro - from Thomann.de
With the way that the lemo connectors hang from the bottom of the Utopia you need a tall stand. I had a ROOMs for my Audeze headphones that I was quite fond of. I reluctantly sold that stand with the headphones. Having had a positive experience with ROOMs before, I ordered this one with adjustable height. I am quite pleased. It is deceptively heavy! It is solid - weighing 1.5K. You're not going to knock it over accidentally.
Most importantly, I really like how there's no strain on the connectors. ....plus the industrial look of the FS Pro is a visual match for the Utopia.
12261522_800.jpg

IMG_6014.JPG
IMG_6015.JPG

May 15, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #7,416 of 20,536
My experience since January of this year had it's up and downs.

I go through phases with the Utopia. I've had it since January as well. For periods, I'll grow a little tired of it, wanting something warmer or less analytical or (let's be honest) less fatiguing, and therefore lean towards something else.

Other times, I'll want to really "see" into the music (as we say), in which case it has to be the Utopias. Or when I'm messing around with upgrading components and I want to observe any changes, again, it has to be the Utopias.

I just swapped out my DAC and the Utopias have been by far the best way for me to identify differences in the DAC's characteristics (over and above using my other headphones or speakers), which has led to a greater appreciation for both respectively.*

* Oh yea, and the music too (ha ha).

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #7,417 of 20,536
My experience since January of this year had it's up and downs. Some days I would put them on and start jamming out and "WOW this is AWESOME" and then the next day not so much lol. I might be leaving the Utopia of headphones altogether this Friday and getting the new LCD-4z. We'll see.
The Utopia's are incredible at what they do and I can't see parting ways with them. I also have the LCD-4's and they are nothing alike. They complement either sound wise. It's just a matter of which sound you enjoy more. The fast, dynamic, resolving, punchy, clarity of the Utopia or the musical, lush, weighty, full, ear massaging sound of the LCD-4.

May 15, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #7,418 of 20,536
The Utopia's are incredible at what they do and I can't see parting ways with them. I also have the LCD-4's and they are nothing alike. They complement either sound wise. It's just a matter of which sound you enjoy more. The fast, dynamic, resolving, punchy, clarity of the Utopia or the musical, lush, weighty, full, ear massaging sound of the LCD-4.
Yes, this is why I'm going with the new LCD-4z. Not the OG version. I really liked the MX4, so the 4z should be an upgrade to that pair. We'll see I guess. I'm remaining positive.

May 15, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #7,419 of 20,536
I really liked the MX4, so the 4z should be an upgrade to that pair.

Interesting, I also had the MX4 for a time, with the express intent of finding a worthy complement to the Utopia. There were a lot of things I liked about them, but ultimately didn't think they were "different" enough in the ways I was looking for to serve as a second to the Utopia.

I've also been thinking about the LCD-4 (OG though) as my next "experiment"...

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #7,421 of 20,536
Interesting, I also had the MX4 for a time, with the express intent of finding a worthy complement to the Utopia. There were a lot of things I liked about them, but ultimately didn't think they were "different" enough in the ways I was looking for to serve as a second to the Utopia.

I've also been thinking about the LCD-4 (OG though) as my next "experiment"...
My LCD-4's are the OG version and I love them just as much as I love the Utopia's. They really are complementary headphones and are 1 and 1a in my collection.

May 15, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #7,422 of 20,536
I also have the LCD-4's and they are nothing alike. They complement either sound wise. It's just a matter of which sound you enjoy more. The fast, dynamic, resolving, punchy, clarity of the Utopia or the musical, lush, weighty, full, ear massaging sound of the LCD-4.
I had a chance to listen to the LCD-4 at a meet recently. Having owned & loved a pair of LCD-3's I really wanted to fall in love with the LCD-4.
Despite my obvious bias, the Utopia did it for me and bought a pair soon thereafter.

May 15, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #7,423 of 20,536
My LCD-4's are the OG version and I love them just as much as I love the Utopia's. They really are complementary headphones and are 1 and 1a in my collection.
After a few months, I need change, I have a hard time owning something for long periods of time, no matter how good it was to me.

May 15, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #7,424 of 20,536
After a few months, I need change, I have a hard time owning something for long periods of time, no matter how good it was to me.

I've had the same affliction.

One can avoid infection by simply avoiding certain areas, such as hi-end shops, Head-fi, Inner Fidelity... But once infected, it's for life. Turns out it's resistant to most anti-biotics. And it's like malaria -- it can lay dormant for months or even years and then flare up for the flimsiest of reasons: banner ads, folks walking down the street with headphones on, sale notices from websites or stores, and, most dangerous of all, friends showing off/bragging on their new gear.

May 15, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #7,425 of 20,536
That's exactly why I have the headphones I do. They all sound good to my ears and offer something different from the next. I would have a heck of a time trying to narrow my collection down to one or two headphones. There's just to many categories: Open, closed, dynamic, planar, electrostat..... How can you own just one! I love this hobby:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back