Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #6,301 of 20,554
anyone tried mojo with utopia?

That's actually what I've been discussing the last couple posts. Also @PeteSTRADAMUS runs the Mojo as his main source for his Utopia I believe, so he'll have more info on the pairing. Right now I'm getting a little bit of fatigue after a half hour or so of Mojo+Utopia, but I'm not sure if that could be attributed to the USB input. Probably going to pickup a Schiit Eitr soon to test the coax input for the same issues.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #6,302 of 20,554
anyone tried mojo with utopia?
That's what I run, I can't say I have any issues, And it drives it high in volume without any issues. I don't know how it compares to other dacs yet. I'll have the Hugo 2 soon than I'll be able to tell if there is any difference myself. But, running out of the Mojo it sounds great to my ears.

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #6,303 of 20,554
Did you see that freaking price increase in the states for the Hugo2? lol, from $2379 to $2695. Nuts!

The British Pound has gained strength globally as the US Dollar is concurrently loosing value globally. Welcome to the real world where currency movements make daily differences to the way we live our lives.

Regards
GG

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #6,304 of 20,554
EITR. I really did not enjoy having to spend another $200 because Apple removed optical!
Well, when someone creates a TB3 DAC, you'll be all set!

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #6,305 of 20,554
Well, when someone creates a TB3 DAC, you'll be all set!

Sweet! If my math is right, TB3 will allow for 40 gbps which translates to DSD1000000. I bet Utopia can easily resolve that!

Of course I will need an upgrade to my storage space since each DSD1000000 album will take up 20 TB. Let's see, I have 3,000 albums so I'll need a 60 PB drive array. Seeing as how the largest drives today are 16 TB and cost $10,000 each, I just need $38M and I'm all set.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #6,306 of 20,554
Sweet! If my math is right, TB3 will allow for 40 gbps which translates to DSD1000000. I bet Utopia can easily resolve that!

Of course I will need an upgrade to my storage space since each DSD1000000 album will take up 20 TB. Let's see, I have 3,000 albums so I'll need a 60 PB drive array. Seeing as how the largest drives today are 16 TB and cost $10,000 each, I just need $38M and I'm all set.
Nope, it will all be streaming. With MQA version 17, a 20TB song will take up only 64KB of space, AND sound better! But you can only get it from Tidal's $79/month Extra Master De-luxe service.

:)

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #6,307 of 20,554
...because Apple removed optical!
Please excuse me for being off-topic for a moment. In regards to Apple removing alot of features with their new MBP's, I have this MPB w/2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB L3 w/ 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory & 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive which is still performing like brand new! As you know, the optical output is beyond the headphone output (which isn't mentioned in this 'Connections and Expansions' description under "Headphone Port".)
Knowing my MBP is growing old, last week I purchased the same exact MBP (I mentioned above) BNIB (not used or refurbished) for $1180,00 and cloned it, then put it back in its box just in case my unfortunately quits, I have another all ready to go! And it's still eligible for a 2yr warranty from Apple! Even 3 different Apple advisors were telling me they dislike the new MBP and prefer their older models much more.

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 11.25.48 PM.png

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #6,308 of 20,554
Please excuse me for being off-topic for a moment. In regards to Apple removing alot of features with their new MBP's, I have this MPB w/2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB L3 w/ 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory & 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive which is still performing like brand new! As you know, the optical output is beyond the headphone output (which isn't mentioned in this 'Connections and Expansions' description under "Headphone Port".)
Knowing my MBP is growing old, last week I purchased the same exact MBP (I mentioned above) BNIB (not used or refurbished) for $1180,00 and cloned it, then put it back in its box just in case my unfortunately quits, I have another all ready to go! And it's still eligible for a 2yr warranty from Apple! Even 3 different Apple advisors were telling me they dislike the new MBP and prefer their older models much more.

Are you suggesting I replace my current MBP with an older model plus a backup? While I was disappointed with the optical out, I think that would be a rather extreme solution. Other than the optical out, the current model MBP kicks butt for my work needs, especially running 3 monitors.

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #6,309 of 20,554
Are you suggesting I replace my current MBP with an older model plus a backup?
Really? C'mon now. Why would I suggest this? I didn't suggest anything, this is what I chose to do.

I'm not suggesting you do anything.
I don't use the optical out on my MBP (but I did at one time) If I wanted to on a new model, I couldn't. Or, if I wanted to slip an SD card into a new model, I couldn't. Or, if I wanted to import/rip a Cd, I couldn't. If I wanted to plug my Ethernet for my uR, I'd have to buy an adapter. I'd have to buy all of these items separately, and pay a 'custom charge' for the amount of memory I have now. Maybe you missed my point? For me and what I use my MBP for, I love it that's why I bought the same MBP and cloned my current one. That's all I'm saying. I'm not knocking the performance of the new MBP's, I'm knocking their lack of integrated features.

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #6,310 of 20,554
Really? C'mon now. Why would I suggest this? I didn't suggest anything, this is what I chose to do.

I'm not suggesting you do anything.
I don't use the optical out on my MBP (but I did at one time) If I wanted to on a new model, I couldn't. Or, if I wanted to slip an SD card into a new model, I couldn't. Or, if I wanted to import/rip a Cd, I couldn't. If I wanted to plug my Ethernet for my uR, I'd have to buy an adapter. I'd have to buy all of these items separately, and pay a 'custom charge' for the amount of memory I have now. Maybe you missed my point? For me and what I use my MBP for, I love it that's why I bought the same MBP and cloned my current one. That's all I'm saying. I'm not knocking the performance of the new MBP's, I'm knocking their lack of integrated features.

That’s cool. Glad it works out for you.

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #6,311 of 20,554
What I’ve realized is that most companies can make a good enough dac/amp that sounds good. I’m sure Schiit sounds good with Utopia but my Utopia sounds good as heck with my Chord Hugo 2.. the only difference is what sound signature do you enjoy the most because both will present your music really good.

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #6,313 of 20,554
What I’ve realized is that most companies can make a good enough dac/amp that sounds good. I’m sure Schiit sounds good with Utopia but my Utopia sounds good as heck with my Chord Hugo 2.. the only difference is what sound signature do you enjoy the most because both will present your music really good.
I'm actually surprised by the difference somewhat. Hugo 2 has a warmer sound than Yggy/Raggy did with Utopia. Both sounded pretty impressive but definitely different. Probably worth auditioning if possible as most of people I know that tried it leaned one way or the other pretty strongly.

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #6,314 of 20,554
Hugo 2 has a warmer sound than Yggy/Raggy did with Utopia.

I think this is the first time I’ve read a direct and succinct comparison between the two with the same headphone.

THANK YOU! :)

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #6,315 of 20,554
Just received my Utopia, only listened 10 minutes, I don't know what end game looks like, but I pretty sure will sell my hd800 and LCD3. Still will keep my TH900 lawton, this is something Utopia can't give me:beyersmile::beyersmile:
Also, I used to open a thread because I really can't tell much the difference between a $100 and $1000 level headphone amp which stop me from buying upper level headphone amp.
But now I can notice the huge different between these two.
I would say I may need a better dac or amp, but Utopia and LA-900 will stay on my desk for a while now:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back