Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #4,533 of 20,433
I need to choose either both of my kidneys or DAVE... still can't decide yet.
you deserve way more likes for this comment... we have a Dave upstairs (Marks personal Dave) in our 2 channel room that I am not even playing with. I already stole the RH-5 amp, might as well take that with me downstairs :). I didn't mess with crossfeed enough. Wanted to see how well they implemented that.

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #4,535 of 20,433
DAVE! According to Mr Google, if you took DAVE and source to dialysis centre, you would have approx 12 hours per week of uninterrupted bliss during the treatment. :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards
GG

Dude! You win!!! That has me LMAO :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 18, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #4,536 of 20,433
I ordered an Utopia from Jason, and I actually like them better then my Pioneer Master 1. Also ordered Dave... Will see.

Congrats! Killer combo! The Master 1 is far from my favourite headphone :wink: . You are taking a huge leap ahead IMO.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #4,541 of 20,433
Nordost Heimdall 2 cable for my Utopias was delivered yesterday - I find the sonic boost provided by this cable to be amazing!
Transparent, focused and clean with great refinement and micro detailing - yet somehow it's 'easier' on the ear. Music sounds more engrossing and addictive.
Won't be for those who want something visually or physically impressive - 'looks' like it should cost $20-30 - but very light and unobtrusive to wear.:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #4,542 of 20,433
My Utopia impressions:

First, thanks to all the folks and early adopters that shared their impressions and gave me a very good sense of what to expect before making the investment. While I did get to audition at the last SF Meet, the conditions were not idea due to the noise and I did not have my desktop chain with me.

My chain - Windows 10 - JRiver - KTE SU-1 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC (NOS) - iCan Pro - Headphone Lounge Balanced XLR cable - Utopia
My personal preferences - Overall neutral sound with a slight sub bass bump and clear, sparkly highs. Music genres cover pretty much everything except country.
Previously owned full size headphones - Beyerdynamic T5P, Mr Speakers Ether C, Fostex TH900 II
Auditioned full size headphones - Audeze LCD-XC, Sony Z1R

Fit and finish - The Utopias do look really premium and high end in hand than in photos. Everything looks functional though and nothing I would say is superfluous in design. More minimalist than not. I could not see any imperfections. As others noted, it's really strange that Focal includes such a long cable and no balanced cable. Presentation box is nice, but I don't see what purpose it has and is currently stored in my garage. If Utopia were to offer $100 off for basic packaging, I would absolutely take that.

Comfort - Utopias are indeed heavier than one would expect. The memory foam pads are very form fitting and covers eyeglasses very well. I think most folks would be fine but those who have a small or large sized head, the fit could be a challenge. Definitely need to try these on if you fall into the extreme category. The headband and yoke are pretty stiff being carbon fiber. I have a medium size head that is more square than round and I find the Utopias are very comfortable, but I can still feel some of the weight on the crown of my head, but not to a degree of discomfort.

Sound

Lows - I was expecting a lighter bass after reading several impressions. Even the "experts" suggested an slight EQ bump or even try the Elear pads. I am definitely not a bass head but I do like my lows just north of neutral and I find absolutely nothing lacking in this department with stock Utopia. The only thing I would say is there is just a hair less impact than what I prefer, but details, layers, and accuracy of the bass region is just stunning. I briefly tried the lowest setting of X-Bass on my iCan Pro and while the impact increased, the bass quality suffered and the layers became blurry. I describe the treble below, but it's very easy to crank up the volume on the Utopias because they are so easy to drive and the treble is not fatiguing. You get pretty nice impact at elevated volume.

Mids - Before the Utopias, I didn't have much of a preference for mids as long as the bass did not bleed into the mids. To my ears, it's easier to describe what the Utopia mids ARE NOT. The mids are not lush, not thin, not warm, not cool, not forward, not recessed. Yet there is a richness in tone and a fullness in weight that also delivers every detail and nuance. I am at a loss of words in exactly how I would characterize the mids except for "just right" for my personal tastes. For those that have a strong preference to mids, I think pairing with an amp that has the characteristics you like will fully bring out that sound in the mids. There is absolutely no need to "counter" the sound signature of the Utopia mids with the opposite signature of an amp. Get a lush tube amp if you want lush mids or get a analytical SS amp if you want analytical.

Highs - Simply put, the highs remind me more of electrostats that i've briefly listened to, but never considered buying due to the investment needed for a good amp. While it's cliche to say the highs are highly detailed without harshness, One would have to try the Utopias to truly hear what that means. Like my comments on the lows, there is just an incredible amount of layers and details. However with treble frequencies being more directional, Utopias somehow manage to separate out the highs into very realistic spacial presentation. Combined together with the mids and lows, let's take an example of a guitar sound. Without being an experienced guitar player, I think one can easily determine if the acoustic guitar is steel or nylon strings. One could also determine if the musician is using a pick or not. Then there is the coherency of the initial impact of the strings, the resonance of the guitar body, and the gradual decay of the sound vibrations. One note covers a wide range of the sound spectrum but the Utopia is able to accurately reproduce that sound unlike anything I've heard before. I will note that the treble is definitely not rolled off or laid back so for those who are sensitive to upper frequencies, Utopias may sound a little bright, but I can't imagine to an uncomfortable level.

Sound Stage - I agree with what most folks have said that the sound stage is "small". I would add that Utopia is a different kind of sound stage experience. First it is very symmetrical in shape. But the spacial queues that I hear in the highs just sounds right even though the sound is mostly in and around my head. I think immersive is a better description. I don't know if I've head any other headphone that is so well balanced in all directions. After extended listening to Utopias, it just sound right to me. It's the first time that I wonder if the size of the sound stage actually matters for headphones unless you are talking about advanced DSP to simulate multiple speakers.

Comparisons

Please note that comparisons are from memory and different component chains so I will keep the comments very general and something I vividly remember.

T5P - very light bass both impact and range. Highs sound grainy, but not harsh.

Ether C - Not as bass light as T5P, but still lacking for my preference. Mids may be pretty close to Utopias. Highs sound a bit diffused.

TH900 (With Lawton mod) - A little too much impact for me as stock which is why I added the Lawton mod. It lacks the refinement and layers of the Utopias. TH900 does go pretty low and deep in certain genres. Mids are recessed in comparison. Highs are hot, harsh, and fatiguing without EQ and even with Lawton mods.

Final Notes

I really wish Utopias were selling for $1999 as I think more audiophiles would buy at that price point. Even with the recent promotion of $3,000, it's still an obscene amount of money for headphones. But what are the alternatives? It's a tough call. My advice is don't even audition these if $3,000 is going to put stress in your financial situation (or relationship LOL). There are great headphones in the $1-2K range and I personally think that is the sweet spot in 2017. Having said that, until a lower priced headphone comes to market that has equal capabilities to Utopia, you got to pay to play. I think Focal knows this and able to charge the current prices. Personally, it was a no-go for me at $4K, but they finally got me with the promotion. On a related note, there is absolutely zero chance I would ever listen to a Chord Dave because I cannot afford it new or used. If I were to try Dave, it would just make me feel like I am missing out on something more. I suppose ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #4,543 of 20,433
My Utopia impressions:

First, thanks to all the folks and early adopters that shared their impressions and gave me a very good sense of what to expect before making the investment. While I did get to audition at the last SF Meet, the conditions were not idea due to the noise and I did not have my desktop chain with me.

My chain - Windows 10 - JRiver - KTE SU-1 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC (NOS) - iCan Pro - Headphone Lounge Balanced XLR cable - Utopia
My personal preferences - Overall neutral sound with a slight sub bass bump and clear, sparkly highs. Music genres cover pretty much everything except country.
Previously owned full size headphones - Beyerdynamic T5P, Mr Speakers Ether C, Fostex TH900 II

Fit and finish - The Utopias do look really premium and high end in hand than in photos. Everything looks functional though and nothing I would say is superfluous in design. More minimalist than not. I could not see any imperfections. As others noted, it's really strange that Focal includes such a long cable and no balanced cable. Presentation box is nice, but I don't see what purpose it has and is currently stored in my garage. If Utopia were to offer $100 off for basic packaging, I would absolutely take that.

Comfort - Utopias are indeed heavier than one would expect. The memory foam pads are very form fitting and covers eyeglasses very well. I think most folks would be fine but those who have a small or large sized head, the fit could be a challenge. Definitely need to try these on if you fall into the extreme category. The headband and yoke are pretty stiff being carbon fiber. I have a medium size head that is more square than round and I find the Utopias are very comfortable, but I can still feel some of the weight on the crown of my head, but not to a degree of discomfort.

Sound

Lows - I was expecting a lighter bass after reading several impressions. Even the "experts" suggested an slight EQ bump or even try the Elear pads. I am definitely not a bass head but I do like my lows just north of neutral and I find absolutely nothing lacking in this department with stock Utopia. The only thing I would say is there is just a hair less impact than what I prefer, but details, layers, and accuracy of the bass region is just stunning. I briefly tried the lowest setting of X-Bass on my iCan Pro and while the impact increased, the bass quality suffered and the layers became blurry. I describe the treble below, but it's very easy to crank up the volume on the Utopias because they are so easy to drive and the treble is not fatiguing. You get pretty nice impact at elevated volume.

Mids - Before the Utopias, I didn't have much of a preference for mids as long as the bass did not bleed into the mids. To my ears, it's easier to describe what the Utopia mids ARE NOT. The mids are not lush, not thin, not warm, not cool, not forward, not recessed. Yet there is a richness in tone and a fullness in weight that also delivers every detail and nuance. I am at a loss of words in exactly how I would characterize the mids except for "just right" for my personal tastes. For those that have a strong preference to mids, I think pairing with an amp that has the characteristics you like will fully bring out that sound in the mids. There is absolutely no need to "counter" the sound signature of the Utopia mids with the opposite signature of an amp. Get a lush tube amp if you want lush mids or get a analytical SS amp if you want analytical.

Highs - Simply put, the highs remind me more of electrostats that i've briefly listened to, but never considered buying due to the investment needed for a good amp. While it's cliche to say the highs are highly detailed without harshness, One would have to try the Utopias to truly hear what that means. Like my comments on the lows, there is just an incredible amount of layers and details. However with treble frequencies being more directional, Utopias somehow manage to separate out the highs into very realistic spacial presentation. Combined together with the mids and lows, let's take an example of a guitar sound. Without being an experienced guitar player, I think one can easily determine if the acoustic guitar is steel or nylon strings. One could also determine if the musician is using a pick or not. Then there is the coherency of the initial impact of the strings, the resonance of the guitar body, and the gradual decay of the sound vibrations. One note covers a wide range of the sound spectrum but the Utopia is able to accurately reproduce that sound unlike anything I've heard before. I will note that the treble is definitely not rolled off or laid back so for those who are sensitive to upper frequencies, Utopias may sound a little bright, but I can't imagine to an uncomfortable level.

Sound Stage - I agree with what most folks have said that the sound stage is "small". I would add that Utopia is a different kind of sound stage experience. First it is very symmetrical in shape. But the spacial queues that I hear in the highs just sounds right even though the sound is mostly in and around my head. I think immersive is a better description. I don't know if I've head any other headphone that is so well balanced in all directions. After extended listening to Utopias, it just sound right to me. It's the first time that I wonder if the size of the sound stage actually matters for headphones unless you are talking about advanced DSP to simulate multiple speakers.

Comparisons

Please note that comparisons are from memory and different component chains so I will keep the comments very general and something I vividly remember.

Ether C - Not as bass light as T5P, but still lacking for my preference. Mids may be pretty close to Utopias. Highs sound a bit diffused.

TH900 (With Lawton mod) - A little too much impact for me as stock which is why I added the Lawton mod. It lacks the refinement and layers of the Utopias. TH900 does go pretty low and deep in certain genres. Mids are recessed in comparison. Highs are hot, harsh, and fatiguing without EQ and even with Lawton mods.

Final Notes

I really wish Utopias were selling for $1999 as I think more audiophiles would buy at that price point. Even with the recent promotion of $3,000, it's still an obscene amount of money for headphones. But what are the alternatives? It's a tough call. My advice is don't even audition these if $3,000 is going to put stress in your financial situation (or relationship LOL). There are great headphones in the $1-2K range and I personally think that is the sweet spot in 2017. Having said that, until a lower priced headphone comes to market that has equal capabilities to Utopia, you got to pay to play. I think Focal knows this and able to charge the current prices. Personally, it was a no-go for me at $4K, but they finally got me with the promotion. On a related note, there is absolutely zero chance I would ever listen to a Chord Dave because I cannot afford it new or used. If I were to try Dave, it would just make me feel like I am missing out on something more. I suppose ignorance is bliss sometimes.
My Utopia impressions:

Sound

Comparisons

Final Notes

bflat, stellar review. Makes me want these headphones even more

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #4,544 of 20,433
My Utopia impressions:

Sound

Comparisons

Final Notes

Great review! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back