Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #10,188 of 20,554
I just upgraded to Chord DAVE....what a combi with Utopia :)

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #10,190 of 20,554
Thank you. Using DAVE headphone output.

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #10,192 of 20,554
Does anyone have experience and/or could compare/contrast on the Nordost Heimdall and Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables, please?
The Nordost Heimdall cable is red
The Moon Audio Silver Dragon is black silver

:)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #10,193 of 20,554
Helpful

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #10,194 of 20,554
I just upgraded to Chord DAVE....what a combi with Utopia :)

Absolutely the best I've heard the Utopia sound (and I've heard these headphones through many top flight setups).

Mar 5, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #10,195 of 20,554
The Nordost Heimdall cable is red
The Moon Audio Silver Dragon is black

:)
Actually, my Siver Dragon is gray, almost silver. My Black Dragon surprisingly is ... black

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #10,196 of 20,554
Absolutely the best I've heard the Utopia sound (and I've heard these headphones through many top flight setups).

You do realize once you venture into two channel land there are a few others which comfortably surpass the DAVE. TOTL from Naim, Linn, DCS, Nagra etc. Pricey no doubt.
I can't personally comment on DCS or Nagra however I have heard all of the TOTL Naim and Linn CD players and streamers.
Same goes for a top flight vinyl setup. TOTL LP12, REGA, etc.

So, imho, DAVE is not endgame. Now- if you define the parameters as also having a built in Headphone output, then you might be right.

Just saying

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #10,197 of 20,554
You do realize once you venture into two channel land there are a few others which comfortably surpass the DAVE. TOTL from Naim, Linn, DCS, Nagra etc. Pricey no doubt.
I can't personally comment on DCS or Nagra however I have heard all of the TOTL Naim and Linn CD players and streamers.

So, imho, DAVE is not endgame. Now- if you define the parameters as also having a built in Headphone output, then you might be right.

Just saying

Correct. I would also add MSB to the list with DCS.

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #10,198 of 20,554

Just saying

I have been in 2 channel audio for 30+ years FWIW. I completely disagree with this....but YMMV of course. I've heard the Utopia from plenty of topflight setups through their release, but I keep coming back to the DAVE standalone. The great thing with the DAVE is that you don't have a separate headphone amp...so you get incredibly low distortion (lowest I've ever seen measured too) and a closer representation of the recording.

And with regards to vinyl, you just can't compare it to digital. It's orders of magnitude of distortion are what some really dig. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #10,200 of 20,554

Users who are viewing this thread

Back