Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #10,172 of 20,554
I have a Hugo2 and just got a pair of Utopias.

Would someone mind replying to me with the TL;DR version of maybe the top 3 or cables to use for this pairing, please?
I've had:

WyWires -- sold
Cardas -- for sale
Lazuli -- staying

Mind, there was nothing wrong with WyWires or Cardas -- I just prefer the Lazuli as I find Utopia can be a bit 'demanding' and the Lazuli helped that the most, compared to the Cardas which helped some, and the WyWires, which didn't help at all.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #10,173 of 20,554
I have a Hugo2 and just got a pair of Utopias.

Would someone mind replying to me with the TL;DR version of maybe the top 3 or cables to use for this pairing, please?

Danacable Lazuli, Kimber Axios and Nordost Heimdall 2. You can't go wrong with either of these. The Lazuli is supposedly an excellent match (judging by comments), the Kimber is the nicest looking of the bunch and an overall excellent cable with crystal clear/dynamic signature. Don't know much about the Nordost, but some people have moved from it to either Danacable or Kimber.

The Utopia doesn't pair well with thin or bright sounding cables (or bright sounding amplifiers).

For a more reasonably priced cable, check the Atlas Zeno, many claim it's excellent bang for the buck and a good match for the Utopia. I may consider it for the Stellia (when I get one in a few months).

Feb 26, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #10,175 of 20,554
Re: cables, be sure to factor in your amp (and even your DAC) into the equation. "Synergy" and so on.

Totally, as I mentioned, I am using the Utopias with my Hugo2.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far guys! I’m leaning toward the Nordost for consistency’s sake simply because my speaker system with Focal Scala Utopia V2’s uses all Nordost Tyr IC/SC w Frey 2/Brahma PC’s.

That said, I'm totally open to suggestions, so please keep them (and comparisons, if possible) coming.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #10,176 of 20,554
Danacable Lazuli, Kimber Axios and Nordost Heimdall 2. You can't go wrong with either of these. The Lazuli is supposedly an excellent match (judging by comments), the Kimber is the nicest looking of the bunch and an overall excellent cable with crystal clear/dynamic signature. Don't know much about the Nordost, but some people have moved from it to either Danacable or Kimber.

The Utopia doesn't pair well with thin or bright sounding cables (or bright sounding amplifiers).

For a more reasonably priced cable, check the Atlas Zeno, many claim it's excellent bang for the buck and a good match for the Utopia. I may consider it for the Stellia (when I get one in a few months).

Kimber Axios is a pretty'd up version of their 4PR/8PR speaker cord which sells for <$50/m. Personally I would not touch that retail price w/ a 10 foot pole. But then again, aftermarket cables in general are perhaps the most egregious profit margins in audio. I have tried fooling myself into hearing a substantial difference between each but I have now concluded that I primarily buy them for ergonomics and aesthetics.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #10,177 of 20,554

Thanks for all the recommendations so far guys! I’m leaning toward the Nordost for consistency’s sake simply because my speaker system with Focal Scala Utopia V2’s uses all Nordost Tyr IC/SC w Frey 2/Brahma PC’s.

That said, I'm totally open to suggestions, so please keep them (and comparisons, if possible) coming.

Check some out. Find a dealer with a loaner program or a few dealers and decide for yourself. There are far too many opinions here on this topic. There are also so many brands to choose from it’s crazy. IMO it’s best to just reach out to some dealers and try some out. Good cables in your category start at about $200 and get out to the noise bleed pricing zone so take your time and find a way to audition them. You might get lucky and find your cable nirvana in the low cost category. Lots of our customers have gone down that low cost path and seem very pleased. Good luck!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 26, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #10,178 of 20,554

If you don’t want to take out a second mortgage, I’d highly recommend you take a look at Norne. I have their Draug on my Utopia, and it also warms them up a tad (you’ll definitely need it with the Hugo 2.

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #10,179 of 20,554
Kimber Axios is a pretty'd up version of their 4PR/8PR speaker cord which sells for <$50/m. Personally I would not touch that retail price w/ a 10 foot pole. But then again, aftermarket cables in general are perhaps the most egregious profit margins in audio. I have tried fooling myself into hearing a substantial difference between each but I have now concluded that I primarily buy them for ergonomics and aesthetics.

Kimber Kable is overpriced for my wallet and sounds metallic/edgy to my ears. I thought the KCAG silver cable, though inordinately costly, was awful-sounding.

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #10,180 of 20,554
Am listening exclusively to the KingSound H-03 [with Dekoni replacement earpads] amped with the KS M-10 solid state amplifier while waiting for the arrival of the HeadphoneLounge UP-OCC "T2" silver cable for the Utopia.

Henri Mancini sounded wonderful last night.

: )

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #10,181 of 20,554
Kimber Kable is overpriced for my wallet and sounds metallic/edgy to my ears. I thought the KCAG silver cable, though inordinately costly, was awful-sounding.

Different experience with KCAG going from my Qutest to my Luxman MQ-88 tube amp. I’m a fan.

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #10,183 of 20,554
Had a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable [solid core UP-OCC silver] awhile back for a pair of K701, which worked well.
The HeadphoneLounge UPOCC pure silver cable that I ordered from Ted Allen is scheduled to arrive on Monday, so I can, Deo volente, report back on that.
These cables already work very well with my Martin Logan Mikros 90, Ultrasone PRO 2900i and Focal Clear, and are reasonably priced.
In fact, I am listening to the Mikros 90 through a HL [UP-OCC copper] cable as we speak [Dave Brubeck Quartet: "Everybody's Jumpin'"]. In a word: "superb".

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #10,184 of 20,554
Thanks for all the suggestions! Does anyone have experience with the Moon Audio line of cables on their Utopia? Any verdict or feedback on the Silver Dragon or Black Dragons?

Thanks!
I prefer Silver over Black. Black is too warm for me. Silver is a notch above the stock for definition in the highs but the stock is a great cable imho. I tried Custom Cans cable The finish was well done but the presentation seemed veiled with poor intrument localization. I have Black Moon cables for my Tia Forte and I much prefer the stock cable.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #10,185 of 20,554
Just a PSA. MrSpeakers' supplier sent a couple hundred cases with the wrong color. The cases normally sell for $49, but they are on sale for $29 (+$5 shipping) from MrSpeakers via Amazon. I put my Utopias in them with no issue. This is a pretty decent hard case hat doubles as a (wobbly) headphone stand.

The first picture show the cans in the case with my custom made silver cable under the mesh. The second shows the case as a stand. The final picture shows the case with the cans and the giant stock cable.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NZ2FWX7

9939736_l.jpg

9939735_l.jpg

9939734_l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back