1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Utopia General Discussion

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by Allanmarcus, Jun 14, 2016.
?

Has your utopia needed repair from your dealer or Focal, either under warranty or not?

1. Yes

23.9%
  2. No

61.4%
  3. I prefer not to answer

14.7%
First

Back
667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676
678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687
Next

Last
  1. montanari
    Which model?

2. pataburd
    See my augmented previous post [#676].

3. LCMusicLover
    @Allanmarcus — I propose an addition to the ‘Frequent topics’ section on the first post:

Sound sig: Some listeners hear Utopia as ‘bright’ or ‘demanding’ or ‘too analytical’ or something similar, while others hear them as ‘well-balanced’ or ‘neutral’ or ‘resolving’ or ‘detailed’ or something similar. Some who hear ‘bright’ claim it can be ‘fixed’ with cable swaps or changes to the source chain, while others say it can’t be ‘fixed’ and (of course) still others say no ‘fixing’ is needed.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  4. Wildcatsare1
    I’m also using an all tube SET Amp, the WA5, which technically isn’t supposed to

Wait, I’m confused :rolling_eyes:

FLTWS likes this.
  5. LCMusicLover
    Your confusion confuses me :nerd:

Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  6. Lucky87
    About one month ago I felt the same when I first listened and I was not impressed and thought it sounded very harsh to my ears. I wanted to send them back or sell them asap, but I remember someone telling me not listen to other headphones for a while (2 weeks using Utopias only) and too my surprise I can't put them down, just UNBELIEVABLE SOUND coming from them and DETAIL and SEPARATION in the music..

montanari and Wildcatsare1 like this.
  7. franz12
    yeah..i guess that was probably me. I believe ears need some time to adapt new sounds. i didn't listen to any other headphones than the utopia as well for three weeks. The Utopia has exceptional resolution/clarity/transparency + realism. Imaging is great but it sounds slightly closed-in.

8. Lucky87
    I've been listening to allot of Vinyl as of late and maybe I am getting a bigger sound stage because of my Manley Chinook SE phono preamp from the vacuum tubes. Just finished listening to Daft Punk Random Access Memories was awesome and it was SE through my Yamaha as well.

Question has anyone listened to a the Manley Absolute Headphone Amp with a pair of Utopia's?

9. Allanmarcus
    OK

I did at CanJam RMAF. Sounded OK, but it was show conditions. Headphone plug is in the back of the amp, so not designed for swapping cans. Not good for me. Also, I just cannot imagine spending that much on an amp. For me, it's not worth the money as I cannot hear any significant difference between most amps. Headphones I can hear a difference, but amps? meh. Just my two cents. Others obviously have their own opinions.

abirdie4me and up late like this.
  10. AmusedToD
    For those that asked about using the Utopia aftermarket cables (for example Danacable Lazuli, Kimber Axios, Nordost Heimdall 2, etc.) with the Stellia, the Z1R or other headphones, Double Helix cables have a whole range of ultra short adapters (they call them triple threat adapters) for the headphone end of the cable that can turn the LEMO plug into a 3.5mm plug or other suitable plugs for different headphones. The price is $219.

A960FC5F-B01F-462C-8CC5-354B16EC3333.jpeg

11. montanari
    with that price you almost buy a new cable!!
    I would like to ask @Wildcatsare1 why the wa5 is not indicated with Utopia

Wildcatsare1 and franz12 like this.
  12. doggiemom
    I was doing a comparison of some tracks on vinyl versus digital yesterday, and I do agree that the soundstage of the Utopia is larger with vinyl. The Utopias are so revealing, it is really interesting to hear the differences.

13. pataburd
    The Utopia soundstage seems recording-dependent. It can be very expansive.

mwr2700 likes this.
  14. pataburd
    The adapters are ONLY for Double Helix customers, too.

15. montanari
    What do you mean?

supervisor likes this.
First

Back
667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676
678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687
Next

Last