Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 18, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #5,701 of 20,554
Sorry that I used some words that is not familiar.. In Hong Kong, there is not a not of people playing headphones nowadays.. hard to sell it locally

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #5,706 of 20,554
You’re not old Used is Used

We are all used!

We need a CPO grade for audio.

I'm not sure what a CPO grade is (chief petty officer?), but in the used audio market, the audiogon grading scale is pretty well established.

I did't mean have this digression take such hold. I was just thrown by the use of the term "second hand thread". I'm a literal guy, so was looking for a thread (like the deal thread). We have a number of second hand/used/pre-owned forums. Sorry for the confusion.

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #5,708 of 20,554
Dec 19, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #5,709 of 20,554
Hugo 2 and Utopia is silly good folks... Listening to the "Breaking up somebody's home" by Sherman Holmes and wow... detail retrieval is the name of the game with this combo.

Listening to the Clear doing an A/B with the Utopia the differences are easily apparent. To me its a bigger gap then when I listened out of the Questyle 600i.

The Utopia just eeks out detail and speed. The vocals of Sherman are less detailed and almost "rougher" around the edges if that makes sense. Guitars have less detail as well. It sounds like a guitar being strummed and I get that texture of sound with the Utopia, but not as much with the Clear. The Utopia is crystal "clear" while the Clear makes me want to turn it up the volume to try and hear that detail, but it just doesn't happen.

This is not a bash on the Clear and I hope its not perceived that way. The Clear for the price is everything I think it should be. If anything its just a testament to how fantastic the Utopia is.

To the Utopia owners out there, I hope that you are feeding it quality gear like the Hugo 2. You will be rewarded by doing so.

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #5,710 of 20,554
Hugo 2 and Utopia is silly good folks... Listening to the "Breaking up somebody's home" by Sherman Holmes and wow... detail retrieval is the name of the game with this combo.

Listening to the Clear doing an A/B with the Utopia the differences are easily apparent. To me its a bigger gap then when I listened out of the Questyle 600i.

The Utopia just eeks out detail and speed. The vocals of Sherman are less detailed and almost "rougher" around the edges if that makes sense. Guitars have less detail as well. It sounds like a guitar being strummed and I get that texture of sound with the Utopia, but not as much with the Clear. The Utopia is crystal "clear" while the Clear makes me want to turn it up the volume to try and hear that detail, but it just doesn't happen.

This is not a bash on the Clear and I hope its not perceived that way. The Clear for the price is everything I think it should be. If anything its just a testament to how fantastic the Utopia is.

To the Utopia owners out there, I hope that you are feeding it quality gear like the Hugo 2. You will be rewarded by doing so.

I have both H2 and Utopia only for a short time but I have to say I am impressed more and more. I also have the Elear and out of H2 the difference is huge and similar to what you describe.

Many in this thread say that adding an amp to H2 will do nothing but color the sound, reduce detail etc. I have yet to try one. Others say that soundstage, dynamics, depth perception, and detail retrieval will go significantly up with a subset of available high-end amps (say Alo Studio Six or AudioGD Master 9). I wonder since you have plenty of nice gear around you what is your take on this. I have listened to Questyle 600i that you mention at a CanJam but H2 impressed me a lot more. Do you think adding an amp to H2 + Utopia makes a significant difference? Do you think that the result may be music genre specific with complex recordings/orchestras benefiting more?

Dec 19, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #5,712 of 20,554
I have both H2 and Utopia only for a short time but I have to say I am impressed more and more. I also have the Elear and out of H2 the difference is huge and similar to what you describe.

Many in this thread say that adding an amp to H2 will do nothing but color the sound, reduce detail etc. I have yet to try one. Others say that soundstage, dynamics, depth perception, and detail retrieval will go significantly up with a subset of available high-end amps (say Alo Studio Six or AudioGD Master 9). I wonder since you have plenty of nice gear around you what is your take on this. I have listened to Questyle 600i that you mention at a CanJam but H2 impressed me a lot more. Do you think adding an amp to H2 + Utopia makes a significant difference? Do you think that the result may be music genre specific with complex recordings/orchestras benefiting more?
I’ll do an A/B of straight out of the Hugo 2, versus the Rogue RH5 and Hugo 2 as the DAC. I’ll do this tomrorow for you since I have already left the store.

Looks like I’ll never get my Mr Speakers video notes done now! I truly don’t mind though if it involves me listening to the Utopia and Hugo 2 more :wink:. You’re really twisting my arm you know that?? :beerchug:

Dec 19, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #5,713 of 20,554
I’ll do an A/B of straight out of the Hugo 2, versus the Rogue RH5 and Hugo 2 as the DAC. I’ll do this tomrorow for you since I have already left the store.

Looks like I’ll never get my Mr Speakers video notes done now! I truly don’t mind though if it involves me listening to the Utopia and Hugo 2 more :wink:. You’re really twisting my arm you know that?? :beerchug:

Then I am twisting your arm and asking a loaded question!

Well, loaded in the sense that there is a wide spectrum of opinions on this. For everyone who owns or considers a Utopia I think it is a very valid question. Take your time. :) No rush.

Dec 19, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #5,714 of 20,554

Better use that money on upgrading the cable of the Focal Utopia rather than buying an amplifier. It seems that the stock cable is holding back the Focal Utopia quite surprisingly.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #5,715 of 20,554

Hahaha pure torture isn’t it. Listening to the H2 and Utopia ....what a bummer :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• PrTv
Back