Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 15, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #4,891 of 20,536
Its really dependent on your setup. I am running balanced through my system and my amp was designed to run balanced so i think i'll see a bit of difference. I did in my beyer t5p's. I think it really depends on your system but the advice i remember was if your system was designed to run balanced and you are feeding it the proper balanced source, etc you will probably hear a difference.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #4,892 of 20,536
Is there a noticeable difference or is it really subtle?
If you re asking about balanced vs single ended (SE), then as @lcasadonte says, it's system dependent. amps that are fully balanced are likely to produce more power into balanced because they use an amp for - and + singles, whereas SE amps just use one amp per channel. Some people claim there is better separation, and thus less cross talk and better imaging with a fully balanced set up.

If you are asking is if there is a noticeable difference between the stock cable and a moon (or any third party cable), you will get some that same night and day, and others that say no difference. That all depends on your system, your ears, and audio-memory, since there is no way to easily A/B headphone cables.

I believe that if you are happy with what you have, you are all set. No need for new cables.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #4,893 of 20,536
Does removing the cables everyday harm the Focal Utopia? I put it everday back in the original box to avoid dust building up.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #4,895 of 20,536
I don't own the Utopia, but I own the HD800S and I never remove the cables because of wear and tear on the springs.

That is also a concern of mine. But I wonder how much of this concern is valid.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #4,896 of 20,536
Does removing the cables everyday harm the Focal Utopia? I put it everday back in the original box to avoid dust building up.

That's a great question, considering that the official Utopia travel case requires you to remove those connectors every time. (The foam-lined cardboard box that the Utopias came in doesn't need to you to remove the cable, but the travel case definitely does.)

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #4,897 of 20,536
That is also a concern of mine. But I wonder how much of this concern is valid.
the lemo connector seems to be built very well. If you just take your time unplugging and plugging in, you should have no problems with it. NOW the connector type for the HD600 and HD650 is much different in this regard. The 2 contact points are exposed and do not have the housing around them (where as the Lemo does). So when pulling them out or putting them in you have an easier time bending the pins.

You aren't able to damage the pins of the lemo connector because you have to line up the housing first before the pins even make contact. Does that make any sense?

This is just my 2 cents.
(Pic of the Lemo for people to see the depth of the pins. This is off our Utopia specifically)
9599FFAF-D6C2-40E3-953C-A67AB4CFDA0A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 16, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #4,898 of 20,536
Still wouldn't disconnect them (if I didn't have too) because of wear and tear even though they're well made.
Yes, I understand the Utopia won't fit into it's official travel case, so in that case, obviously they need to be removed.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #4,899 of 20,536
the lemo connector seems to be built very well. If you just take your time unplugging and plugging in, you should have no problems with it. NOW the connector type for the HD600 and HD650 is much different in this regard. The 2 contact points are exposed and do not have the housing around them (where as the Lemo does). So when pulling them out or putting them in you have an easier time bending the pins.

You aren't able to damage the pins of the lemo connector because you have to line up the housing first before the pins even make contact. Does that make any sense?

This is just my 2 cents.
(Pic of the Lemo for people to see the depth of the pins. This is off our Utopia specifically)

I agree, the Lemo' s are easy to work with, the 600 connectors not so much.
As far as dust, I use Woo and Oppo stands with all my phones, figured out how to neatly rewind cables so there's no kinks and slip a jumbo ziplock (or other brand) over the phones and stand. Easy.

Oct 16, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #4,900 of 20,536

This is just my 2 cents.

Ok thanks. They are still working fine after doing this for 1 year so I guess it should be fine.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #4,902 of 20,536
I've sold my focal utopia headphones and amp,I just enjoy listening to speakers more,they were so clear but felt I was missing something

I’d love to explore speakers but boy oh boy is that another expensive route. My Klipsch speakers with an emotiva amp and my Denon X4300H sounds good to my ears lol

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #4,903 of 20,536
I've sold my focal utopia headphones and amp,I just enjoy listening to speakers more,they were so clear but felt I was missing something
You just like Speakers more lol. I think that’s the short of it. I bounce between headphones but I usually end up with the Utopia on my head. For headphones it just checks off a ton of boxes.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #4,904 of 20,536

I tried to enjoy speakers, bought a pair of kef ls50’s but never used them, sold the 4 weeks later. I tried to like them, played some music and gaming etc but my enviroment just doesnt suit them for office use etc.

I prefer the more personal experience of headphones of I’m being honest, speakers are great for the living room etc for which I have sonos and currently enjoy that enough not to warrant delving any further into speakers. It is a personal preference though.

I’m seriously tossing up getting utopias or the new clears which look like they will be half the cost and have a strong chance de walling the utopias, i love the extra cables, the quality and their not big heavy cables either, i also prefer the travel case. I think focal just lost a lot of sale for utopia releasing the clears. I will reserve final judgement till I can hear them or see more reviews though. Just seems you get more for your money the clears apart from the berillium (or how wver you spell it) driver thats in the utopias.

I currently own hd800S and Aeons.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #4,905 of 20,536
Anyone know of a good comparison of balanced cables for the Utopia? I've got a Utopia on the way inbound, and given my selection of amps, a balanced cable will be in my near future. Any pointers for reviews or previous threads on the topic would be welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back