Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 17, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #438 of 20,554
I just placed an order for a pair of Utopias.  Now the wait!

I had to call and email a few places only to find out that none of them had any Utopias actually in stock. They just aren't producing them fast enough according to some dealers. The Source AV did have some in stock and sent them with one day shipping! You should give them a call in case your dealer doesn't have any in stock because it could be a long wait.

The Source AV
800-700-7029 or 310-534-9900
Wayne handles Utopia orders

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #440 of 20,554
I had to call and email a few places only to find out that none of them had any Utopias actually in stock. They just aren't producing them fast enough according to some dealers. The Source AV did have some in stock and sent them with one day shipping! You should give them a call in case your dealer doesn't have any in stock because it could be a long wait.

The Source AV
800-700-7029 or 310-534-9900
Wayne handles Utopia orders

Thanks.  My dealer had it in stock, but they are in another province so I have to wait on shipping from them to me, not on Focal.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #441 of 20,554
Currently wearing the Utopia and comparing it with all of the summits I have heard and currently own/have around.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #442 of 20,554

I imagine it would be hard to compare Utopia & HD800s to Z1R. The Sony beast is really lean in different approaching in term of sound character.

It's only hard because I don't see the Utopia on Amazon. Otherwise I'd buy it and do a sponsorless, hype-proof, real impartial comparison next month. Definitely not getting a 4K piece of gear if I can't return it if don't like it enough.I would send it back if I prefer the Z1R, or vice versa of course.

Headphones are just a tool, to me there is no need to match all characteristics while comparing two models, since ultimately what counts is that foot-tapping silly joy smile you get while listening
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #444 of 20,554

Currently wearing the Utopia and comparing it with all of the summits I have heard and currently own/have around.

Now's the part where you tell us you're selling everything else you have and are going for the Utopia instead.

He'll need burn in time before that happens.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #445 of 20,554

Now's the part where you tell us you're selling everything else you have and are going for the Utopia instead.

So far I don't think that'll be the case. Still find myself hovering to the Abyss.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #446 of 20,554
  IMO they are two completely different animals. The HEK V1 has a relaxed, organic sound and on the other hand the Utopia is faster, punchier and more in your face. They are tow different flavors that will depends on your taste. In my case I am keeping the HEK and already placed an order upgrading form the Elear to the Utopia after spending some time with a loaner in my systems.

IMO the synergy of the music chain with the Utopia is more critical than with the HEK. The Utopia pairs great with my WA5-LE v1 and my Wells Audio Enigma (with upgrades). With my MHA100 is a hit and miss depending on the recording. With some recording with the MHA100 it can sound a little too aggressive in the upper midrange and highs causing me some fatigue. BTW the cable these Utopia have is a Black Dragon. I ordered a Dana Cable Reference for mine. I personally will not use any cable SPC or Silver. I think a good Copper (OCC Copper) cable is a better match for my taste.

In my opinion the HEK is not on par with the Utopia. The HEK's bass is bloomy. It does not have the level of detail retrieval that is possible on the Utopia. And separation is much better on the Utopia. In my book, it's no contest.

I also find the exact opposite conclusions when it comes to sources. The HEK is the one that is source dependent. With the Utopia, it reproduces what it is sent. The better the upstream gear, the better the Utopia plays. I have tried it with tubes and solid state, it didn't matter.

The HEK seems to prefer solid state amps capable of sending torrents of current.

To test the theory that the Utopia is not picky, I just used an iPhone 6 and HA-2 on it. It still sounds great; not quite on par as my desktop setup, but this would not be possible with the HEK.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #448 of 20,554
In my opinion the HEK is not on par with the Utopia. The HEK's bass is bloomy. It does not have the level of detail retrieval that is possible on the Utopia. And separation is much better on the Utopia. In my book, it's no contest.

I also find the exact opposite conclusions when it comes to sources. The HEK is the one that is source dependent. With the Utopia, it reproduces what it is sent. The better the upstream gear, the better the Utopia plays. I have tried it with tubes and solid state, it didn't matter.

The HEK seems to prefer solid state amps capable of sending torrents of current.

To test the theory that the Utopia is not picky, I just used an iPhone 6 and HA-2 on it. It still sounds great; not quite on par as my desktop setup, but this would not be possible with the HEK.

I can't agree more.
There's no way HEK can be in the same league as Utopia.

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #450 of 20,554
  IMO they are two completely different animals. The HEK V1 has a relaxed, organic sound and on the other hand the Utopia is faster, punchier and more in your face. They are tow different flavors that will depends on your taste. In my case I am keeping the HEK and already placed an order upgrading form the Elear to the Utopia after spending some time with a loaner in my systems.

IMO the synergy of the music chain with the Utopia is more critical than with the HEK. The Utopia pairs great with my WA5-LE v1 and my Wells Audio Enigma (with upgrades). With my MHA100 is a hit and miss depending on the recording. With some recording with the MHA100 it can sound a little too aggressive in the upper midrange and highs causing me some fatigue. BTW the cable these Utopia have is a Black Dragon. I ordered a Dana Cable Reference for mine. I personally will not use any cable SPC or Silver. I think a good Copper (OCC Copper) cable is a better match for my taste.

I can't agree more.
There's no way HEK can be in the same league as Utopia.

Interesting statement there, I think I need to have more time with Utopia
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back