Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 28, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #17,911 of 20,537
Well, that is obviously not the case for IEM market. But for the headphone ecosystem, it might come true. We already have the HD800 and HD800s making history. Now wait and see if the Utopia, Susvara and 1266TC can withstand the time.

Hifiman does surprise me. They keep update the lower end model, but not Susvara.

Abyss? Not so sure, based on Diana line up, the keep "facelift" the driver every 3 years.

Some IEM actually withstand the time (64 Audio), but I agree some asian companies update their flagship too fast.

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #17,912 of 20,537
Nice. He liked my new tube amp so much I think he is going to take the plunge. Same thing, HP Dialoge, or the 400. He will run a pair of B&W 705s. Those PLs seem like really solid amps with a lot going for them. Most people seem to be real happy. I managed to get a spare set of Mullard EL34 XF2 for mine... but I will have to let him borrow and see how they compare to the PL tubes.

Rig2.jpg
That’s a nice sounding system. I like LTA better with dynamic cans than planar or estat.

Jun 28, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #17,913 of 20,537
That’s a nice sounding system. I like LTA better with dynamic cans than planar or estat.
The low end was the biggest improvement with amp. It's phenomenal. Even on my bookshelf, just amazes me the low end. If I would have had it first, I probably would not have bought my sub. Not saying it's the same, just the need for a sub would have been a weaker argument.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #17,914 of 20,537
A properly driven Utopia punches so hard and also has nothing missing in subbass.

I first realized this off my Ferrum Stack.

Moving to the iFi Pro iCAN, despite the iFi's higher output power rating, made the Utopia a bit subbass light, for some reason. The Utopia treble is also less friendly off the iFi Pro iCAN, regardless of what gain I choose, tube versus solid state, or whatever.

Now, off the CMA 12 Master, the Utopia subbass is back to its days of glory, lol. And it's treble is back to being resolving without being strident.

IMG-3698.jpg

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #17,915 of 20,537
My current listening session with my Utopia's :smile_phones:. A good friend of mine @geoffalter11 let me borrow his Icon Audio HP8 Signature and it is simply brilliant with the Utopia's. I'm really liking what I'm hearing for this amp

IMG_1999.jpg

Jul 1, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #17,916 of 20,537
I‘m afraid that I have underestimated the Utopia’s. My phones in my main system are Susvara and I wanted a good set of cans that were much easier to drive so that I could use them with a variety of other equipment including portable stuff like Hugo 2Go, and so I landed on the Utopia’s. I have had them more than 3 years now and I do like them playing through pretty much all my gear, but I always thought they were only ‘pretty good’ - probably because I had got my Susvara’s to such a high level.

Earlier this year, I re-jigged my main system which involved putting in a T+A SDV 3100 HV. Using the Pentacon balanced output from that, the Utopia have taken me by surprise and are clearly much better than I had given them credit. So they have been promoted and now sit in my main system alongside the Susvara. I guess I have learnt that just because something is easy to drive, careful matching is still necessary in order to get the most return.

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #17,918 of 20,537
Jul 2, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #17,922 of 20,537
I have a VPI turntable, Sutherland phono amp
Oppo 205
Yggy fed by usb from NUC
all into Parasound P6 then to headphone amp via fixed output
Will work fine.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #17,923 of 20,537
A properly driven Utopia punches so hard and also has nothing missing in subbass.

I first realized this off my Ferrum Stack.

Moving to the iFi Pro iCAN, despite the iFi's higher output power rating, made the Utopia a bit subbass light, for some reason. The Utopia treble is also less friendly off the iFi Pro iCAN, regardless of what gain I choose, tube versus solid state, or whatever.

Now, off the CMA 12 Master, the Utopia subbass is back to its days of glory, lol. And it's treble is back to being resolving without being strident.

IMG-3698.jpg
I believe you you recently aquired a Feliks Euforia. I was wondering what your thoughts are on pairing your Utopia with it? 🤔

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #17,924 of 20,537
I believe you you recently aquired a Feliks Euforia. I was wondering what your thoughts are on pairing your Utopia with it? 🤔
Yeah, so I adore the Euforia.

But I wasn't such a huge fan of the Utopia and the Euforia synergy, personally.

While my ZMFs and the 6XX get a bigger sound off the Euforia AE, in that they become more dynamic, throw larger and more life-like images, and have a better low-end, I felt that the Euforia makes the Utopia "smoother".

I like the Utopia's visceral presentation and can handle its treble, so not sure I want to go that way with the Utopia.

I do see how the Euforia-Utopia can work others if someone is trying to make the Utopia sound more "polite".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back