1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Utopia General Discussion

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by Allanmarcus, Jun 14, 2016.
?

Has your utopia needed repair from your dealer or Focal, either under warranty or not?

1. Yes

23.9%
  2. No

61.4%
  3. I prefer not to answer

14.7%
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Next

Last
  1. jibzilla

It's not the greatest idea to compare headphones to speakers. Just very different experiences and very different reasons for owning. Do I get better soundstage with my adam's? Yeah but sometimes that disturbs others I'm around so a open and spacious soundstage headphone like the hd800 fits nicely into my setup. That is my reason on top of the fact that I do not have any room hardly in my house and my adam's are about as large as I can go speaker wise.

You also might find very, very good sound from below $10k 2 channel systems but good luck selling that or shipping that if you find something else you like better. You will be lucky to get 10% of what you paid and have to sell locally. Headphones wipe the floor with speakers in that respect but as I said it is not the greatest idea to compare the two. 

swspiers and fapman like this.
  2. Music Alchemist

Yes, as an example, @bigshot (for those who remember him) talked about how his speaker rig that only cost a few thousand probably beats most stuff out there. Regardless, "very good sound" and "ultimate performance" (as in the absolute best in the world) are two different things. The most expensive speakers are over a million dollars, whereas the most expensive headphones are a tiny fraction. Not saying the most expensive ones are necessarily the best; just that it's going to cost a heck of a lot more to get the best loudspeaker sound in the world as opposed to the best headphone sound.

Anyway, enough of that...back to the Utopia! Here are some more reviews.

http://www.businessinsider.com/focal-utopia-review-worlds-best-headphones-2016-8
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12270918/focal-utopia-premium-headphones-elear-review

Some of these reviews are useless to me because they don't include comparisons to other headphones...especially not ones in the same price range...

3. Guss2
    If you look at the post I quoted instead of going off on some other tangent you'd see that my comment was with regard to his comment, "...I'm really hoping I never end up liking loudspeakers more than headphones, because the effort and investment involved in getting ultimate performance from the speaker game makes even the most uncompromising headphone systems look like child's play", and that's just not true! Sure you need more room, but you could easily spend more money on a headphone rig. Oh, and you're assumption that someone selling speakers would loose 90% of the their original investment is absolutely ridiculous. 50% and the buyer picks up shipping, sure, but 90%, come on dude! They'd be better off using them for firewood. 

4. Music Alchemist

Read my reply to your post. I was talking about the most expensive systems in both categories. (With the potentially erroneous assumption, for simplicity's sake, that they represent ultimate performance, as in the best sound in the world.) The most expensive loudspeakers cost over a million dollars, and that's just for the speakers themselves, not the rest of the system. Heck, there's a speaker amp that costs over two million! Even the most expensive headphone systems cost a tiny fraction of all that.

5. Guss2
    All I'm saying is you don't have to spend millions on speakers to rival the best headphone systems. Got it?

6. Music Alchemist

Of course. But that is not what I was talking about. I clearly said ultimate performance and was talking about the cost of the best loudspeaker system(s) in the world compared to the best headphone system(s) in the world. That's all. It's just that I'm obsessed with the best. haha. So if I were to enter the speaker game, I'd strive for that, which would not be cheap. [​IMG] 

HoloSpice likes this.
  7. up late

x3

yup. x2

8. Currawong Contributor
    Back on topic please.

9. xenithon
    Quick question on the cables that come with these (Utopia and Elear) - can they be reterminated as balanced? That is, do the cables inherently have a balanced design or would they need an altogether new aftermarket cable to use them in balanced mode?

Cheers
    X

10. Defiant00

Yes, they can be reterminated.

11. x RELIC x Contributor
    My short term Head Fi roadmap: My impressions of the Utopia with the Chord DAVE will be posted in the coming week(s). Will also share my thoughts with the Cavalli Liquid Gold (final run) when it arrives sometime in September. Also, will have a comparison with my ETHER Flow when it arrives. August/September is going to be a busy but exciting time for me...

:D

12. reddog
    Eagerly looking forward to your impressions on the Utopia, and how it sounds when driven my the Cavalli Liquid Gold.:)

13. x RELIC x Contributor
    Cross posting my unboxing impressions from the other thread for those that may be interested...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-launch-with-impressions-head-fi-tv/2055#post_12798527

14. james6333
    ^

Makes me want to buy one. I just ordered the Elear for now. The utopia cut too much into my speaker upgrade budget.

15. x RELIC x Contributor

Here you go. :)

Utopia_DAVE_01.jpg

JaZZ, 1c3d0g, jazzfan and 1 other person like this.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Next

Last