Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #5,371 of 20,433
So Fredfung28, do you find DSD as amazingly good on the EMM as I do? (I use an XDS1v2.) Thank you.
I think even wav its good, but if you have dsd file, it perform even better... more real.
The Dac2x v2 upsample every signal to dsd in my knowledge of how it works

Nov 11, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #5,372 of 20,433
How do you change the Bit depth? It still shows 16 or better question is which songs are MQA?
Screenshot_20171111-131519.png

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #5,374 of 20,433
The Master albums will show have the suffix (High Res) after the songs, the regular content won't.
This 768k is after i pressed some thing in the setting. What is the correct setting to get the highest fidelity through there?

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #5,375 of 20,433
Finally got around to making the cable(s) I’ve been wanting for the Utopia.

Supplies:
- 24awg OCC wire from Double Helix
- Eidolic amp connectors
- Switchcraft mini 4-pin XLR connectors
- Lemo connectors and splitter pilfered from OEM cable
- Black paracord

Cables:
- Main cable: 16” from headphone to split, 4’ overall. Lemo for headphones, male mini 4-pn XLR at other end
- At home cable: 6’ (10’ overall when connected to main cable). Female mini 4-pin XLR/Eidolic 1/4” TRS
- On the go cable: 1’ (5’ overall when connected to main cable). Female mini 4-pin XLR/Eidolic 3.5mm TRRS (common ground, used in unbalanced config since I don’t have any balanced out equipment

So much lighter and easier to deal with than the OEM cable. Also, I’ll be able to add additional cables down the road if I decide to go the balanced route.

zwlBnMJ.jpg

Nov 12, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #5,377 of 20,433
Tell it to enforce bit perfect and disable playing through android. UAPP and your DAC should take care of the rest.
Ugh, did it make a difference when the first section was 768000 hertz? Is that from me pressing the setting to upsample?

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #5,378 of 20,433
Ugh, did it make a difference when the first section was 768000 hertz? Is that from me pressing the setting to upsample?

Yea, make sure you don't have the "Upsample to highest rate" checked, and in the "Bit Perfect" menu choose either "on" or "when possible".

I'm assuming you're using this with a USB DAC/amp, right? (just wanted to be sure)

Nov 12, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #5,379 of 20,433
Yea, make sure you don't have the "Upsample to highest rate" checked, and in the "Bit Perfect" menu choose either "on" or "when possible".

I'm assuming you're using this with a USB DAC/amp, right? (just wanted to be sure)
Yes, I'm using it with the Chord Mojo and the CLEAR. If you don't mind me asking, what are the settings you run so I don' screw nothing up?

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #5,380 of 20,433
i can understand the criticism of the utopia's stock cable. it's bulky and requires some wrangling. a lighter and thinner stock cable would be an improvement i think. a comment on the bass - i'm not wanting for any more and that's coming from a th900 owner. i'm also listening to it at a lower volume than my other cans and i listen at low to moderate volumes as it is, so it's highly sensitive and efficient.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #5,381 of 20,433
Anyone have a recommendation for semi-portable DAC/Amp? Would like the sound to be close to the flavor I get from my Bimby/Asgard, and will be using it exclusively with my Nexus 6P and Utopia.

Is the Mojo still the go to for portable? Or are some of the iFi products worthy of task?

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #5,382 of 20,433
i can understand the criticism of the utopia's stock cable. it's bulky and requires some wrangling. a lighter and thinner stock cable would be an improvement i think. a comment on the bass - i'm not wanting for any more and that's coming from a th900 owner. i'm also listening to it at a lower volume than my other cans and i listen at low to moderate volumes as it is, so it's highly sensitive and efficient.
under rated "feature" is being able to listen to the Utopia at lower volumes. Keep your ears healthy my friend.

The stock cable is super bulk city... I got the Clears on now and A/Bing with the Elear. I'm not nearly as tangled up as when I A/B'd the Elear and Utopia thats for sure lol. You can still make out which ones are the Utopia and Elear cords...
00059138-26D8-45FD-B27C-3B76C7F4545B.jpeg

Side note- Thanks @ILLMATIC9108, that "Never let you go" track by Kygo is sick! I was going to switch headphones after a few seconds to the Elear but just let the whole thing run through on the Clear. the 1:00 mark is so enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 13, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #5,383 of 20,433
under rated "feature" is being able to listen to the Utopia at lower volumes. Keep your ears healthy my friend.

The stock cable is super bulk city... I got the Clears on now and A/Bing with the Elear. I'm not nearly as tangled up as when I A/B'd the Elear and Utopia thats for sure lol. You can still make out which ones are the Utopia and Elear cords...

Side note- Thanks @ILLMATIC9108, that "Never let you go" track by Kygo is sick! I was going to switch headphones after a few seconds to the Elear but just let the whole thing run through on the Clear. the 1:00 mark is so enjoyable.
I have tons more if that's your cup of tea. I'll pm you.

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #5,384 of 20,433

I like how you have a big bottle of water there in case you get tangled in the cable and have to stay there for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back