Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #227 of 1,958
It's not just opinions though, I've seen the guy continue to tease, hype up, talk glory about Focal founders, and much more over the past month. I can't tell whether language/culture barriers are contributing to this but I just ended up never wanting to discuss anything with said person nor be actually excited about what is still no doubt an excellent TOTL product.
But, he's just a listener who is excited and likes the new product. A lot of people know him on the forums, know his tastes, and are interested in his feedback. If you find him annoying or think he's hyping something up, then just ignore him. Nomax isn't shy about criticizing a headphone when he doesn't like what he hears. It's not like he goes around only favoring one brand or something that you'd accuse him of being part of some marketing effort. He's honest about what he likes and doesn't like and he happens to really like Utopia 2022. Simple as that.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #228 of 1,958
I also like the Old one👍...and do not sell it because of that

@vsg28 These are the two talanted acousticans behind the Headphones...but I am not happy with all of their models
CLEAR 👎 CELESTEE 👎

NOMAX

PS.I wish everyone further a lot of fun with the Old....and the one or the other also with the NEW 👍
In turbulent times like these they have led to this price spiral upwards (not only at Focal)...I would have wished it differently too
And I can not persuade someone to buy...but maybe I can exite someone....but only if it is myself..as most recently with Dan Clark's Stealth

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #229 of 1,958
About a month ago, a few members were complaining in the Utopia thread about the cost of Utopia driver repairs and when pressed on the matter no one actually knew or was willing to share what they paid.
It was quoted as $960.00 from TSA.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #231 of 1,958
This genre claim is very suspect.

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #232 of 1,958
If opinions were being posted, I wouldn’t respond. When the marketing machine spits out specific claims that don’t align with what we know to date, they absolutely should be questioned.

it could have been a much quicker exchange if the poster in question could name one genre that is now suitable for the 2022 Utopia given the claim made.
Nomax isn’t a member of the trade, is he? I think he’s got an inside connection but his posts are just his opinions. For the most part this site is just opinions. Some people can choose to backup those opinions with facts but others may not. I post stuff in here all the time and later regret it because my opinion has changed. I guess it doesn’t make what I first posted wrong at the time.

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #233 of 1,958
I don't have to, because everyone reacts differently in the high-frequency range
And for all those who had a problem with the Treble with their music, well, they should be satisfied with the NEW UTOPIA.
And as far as I remember that were many

NOMAX

PS.Your sting will not help you 😉
I respectfully disagree. And I have noted the majority of your recent posting history being twitter like short responses promoting the new Utopia. Or your report/opinion of same.

I don’t recall many people having trouble with the treble or genre matching with the Utopia. And enjoy it with the entirety of my music library. It is a headphone that is sensitive and revealing to source choices. I postulate issues may be related to this rather than a fault in the headphone tuning

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #234 of 1,958
So are there people from the community who sometimes seems to be like normal people with this hobby but then again what they write seems like trying to market the product?
Among Us.
ab67616d0000b27374ca4a2b7038260956312aab

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #235 of 1,958
I respectfully disagree. And I have noted the majority of your recent posting history being twitter like short responses promoting the new Utopia. Or your report/opinion of same.

I don’t recall many people having trouble with the treble or genre matching with the Utopia. And enjoy it with the entirety of my music library. It is a headphone that is sensitive and revealing to source choices. I postulate issues may be related to this rather than a fault in the headphone tuning

Hypetrains
I agree with to you and I really don't like the hypetrain posts. In the Meze 109 Pro Thread the headphone is described by an enthusiast buyer as an 2000-2500USD headphone at a selling price of 800 USD and compared with the Empys and Elites.

My tactic is simply to wait a while. The headphones are not getting any worse and I have bought this year a Focal Clear OG after several years after release. The OG gets still positive reviews. There are a lot of headphones which were hyped and after a year or two there are a lot of used sales an no more positive reviews/recommendation, but if you still hear positive reviews after 4-5 years (Clears, TH900, MDR Z1R, IER Z1R, U12T, Utopia OG.....), you can save money and be sure not jumped up to the hypetrain.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd happily ride any Hype Train. But all in all I think you are right. I really like more objective posts that are not only to push the hype. Resolve is good example to stay objective.

Why could the hype be real?
I think for some is the Clear MG better than the OG. I compared the OG and MG and the MG was clearly worse for my taste.
Precog rated the MG with a 4 with the comment: "A warmer, less resolving, and more congested Focal Clear." and the Clear OG with a 6 "Excellent dynamic contrast marred by an aggressive tonality, particularly in the treble."

That's my opinion, too, but I think there are a lot people who like the MG more than the OG. My impression is that there are more OG Lovers than MG. Nomax has in his sig the MG, so I think that he like the MG more than the OG and probably for that reason the new Utopia is more his taste. Ultimately, everyone has to decide for themselves.

So I think that the new Utopia will be an excellent headphone, but as far as I know, opinions will differ as with the Clears and thats not a bad thing if Focal would produce both in the future. I think that it was a mistake to cancel the production of the Clear OG.

Although I have to admit that the MG looks fantastic and would match perfectly with my Stellia.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #237 of 1,958
Frankly I am one of the people that didn't like the original. I tried it when it was out and for me it was too sharp in the upper mids, so much so that I didn't want to listen to them more than 5 minutes. It was a weird tuning that, I remember, I couldn't decide if it was bright or warm. Was just shouty. Now I have the Stealth which has excellent tuning, so I don't need to search for any other HP. Utopia lost its chance with me 6 years ago.

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #238 of 1,958
The main problem at the moment is that, outside of MOT types (whose views are worth taking note of but nothing more beyond that), we currently have only one user reporting back after having done I guess extensive listening to the, uh, the Nutopia.

What's needed are for some early adopter/s to get their hands on the new version, burn it in a sufficiently, and A/B it carefully and soberly against a buddy's OG Utopia, stuff like that.

Which'll happen soon enough. But until then, there's not much to discuss. Unfortunately I'm contributing to that lack of substantive content with this very post, haha.

Also, I'm currently Utopia-less at the moment, which I highly regret. :upside_down:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #239 of 1,958
Frankly I am one of the people that didn't like the original. I tried it when it was out and for me it was too sharp in the upper mids, so much so that I didn't want to listen to them more than 5 minutes. It was a weird tuning that, I remember, I couldn't decide if it was bright or warm. Was just shouty. Now I have the Stealth which has excellent tuning, so I don't need to search for any other HP. Utopia lost its chance with me 6 years ago.
Stealth is just crap hp compared to Utopia...

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #240 of 1,958
I dont know what the point of such a comment is, couldnt you just say you like the utopia more than the stealth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back