Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Sep 17, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #122 of 1,971
If someone can make a headphone that sounds as good as other $4,000 models with a cost of $20, I won't have a problem with their pricing strategy.
That’s a big problem if the cost is really $20. Called capitalism.

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #126 of 1,971
Resolves opinion on the Utopia 2022:

You can think of the 2022 Utopia as being extremely similar acoustically to the original, just slightly warmer. So if you found the original Utopia to be a bit too bright, the Utwopia might be more to your taste. But they’re also similar enough for the rest of their tuning to where if you loved the original, you’re probably going to be into the new version, and if you weren’t into the original - unless you specifically wanted it to be slightly warmer - it’s unlikely to change your mind.

Personally, I think they’re both great, and for sound quality I don’t really have a meaningful preference either way. They both have that slight mid forward flavor to them, and I think yeah the new Utopia does soften some of the treble peaks a bit, but for whatever reason I never heard the original Utopia as being sharp or fatiguing up there. I think this is where the smoothness of the target isn’t a fair indicator of treble performance, and I’m sure unsmoothed rig vs human HRTF variation plays a role there.

If you own the original… should you get the new one? I’d say probably not, unless of course you’re all about the new aesthetic change and just want to have it. And I also wouldn’t say the new one is ‘better’ outright, as that’s going to come down to what individual people are looking for. We’re talking about like a 2dB difference here in the treble.

But if you were hesitant about the Utopia before given some of the reports of it being a bit sharp in the treble, well then I guess worry no more with this new one.
Source: https://forum.headphones.com/t/foca...headphones-official-discussion-thread/18756/2

My experience is that he is extremly honest. After reading Resolves opinion I think that the new Utopia isn't more than 2000 EUR/USD worth (Price for the old Utopia in new condition in Europe is under 3000 EUR). For 5000 EUR you can get the Stellia and Utopia OG in Europe in new condition.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #129 of 1,971
I for one, love the increased price... The higher the price, the better the sound..
Imagine how good these would sound if they were $15,000.
Keep up the good work!!!! 🤪
Focal has no problem with big prices. Focal Grande Utopia EM Evo Speakers for 240 000 EUR, but I think in general that they have fair prices. Especially in comparision with other headphone manufactures and for its build quality in combination with good soundquality. The sale prices are very attractive and if you wait a little bit for sale prices I think the price/performance ratio is really good. Focal Clear OG for 850 EUR, Stellia 2000 EUR, Celestee 650 EUR, Utopia OG 3000 EUR, Elegia 400 EUR.....

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #130 of 1,971
The OG Utopia is a steal at current second hand prices compared to the price of new flagships. Now is a good time to buy used while the prices are depressed as people look to fund the purchase of a new pair - where can you buy flagship quality sound for 2K? Very little risk because you can likely resell for the same and I wouldn’t be shocked if you can resell for more next year. HD800 used prices have been trickling up.

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #131 of 1,971
You picked the wrong hobby to make a stand against capitalism.
I just meant that the fact that his being ok with a $20 cost headphone being sold for $4000 is something bothersome in terms of our acceptance. So the companies are free to do whatever pricing they want because of this perception.

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #132 of 1,971
The Utopia orginally started at $4K, then went to $4.4K in 2020 for updated packaging, and now $5K for an updated model. That's a pretty standard increase in price for something incremental. Don't get what the problem is. Did people expect the price to stay the same or go down? That's not how things work at the top end!

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #133 of 1,971
Resolves opinion on the Utopia 2022:

Source: https://forum.headphones.com/t/foca...headphones-official-discussion-thread/18756/2

My experience is that he is extremly honest. After reading Resolves opinion I think that the new Utopia isn't more than 2000 EUR/USD worth (Price for the old Utopia in new condition in Europe is under 3000 EUR). For 5000 EUR you can get the Stellia and Utopia OG in Europe in new condition.
I really appreciate Resolve's reviews.
Without having heard the new Utopia, I can very well imagine that the difference to the OG, FOR PEOPLE WHO EQ, will not be worth the new purchase.

The changes seem too insignificant for that....
Just the coil...
The potential to optimize it seems to have been in the failure rate of the old drivers.
With my Utopia, the drivers had to be exchanged also.
I had very early clipping.
Although the Utopia was already three years old, there were no problems with the warranty.

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #135 of 1,971
The release of this headphone was so bizarre. A leaked marketing draft which looked questionable, not much comms from Focal (or at all?). I guess this energy is matched by the anti-climactic nature of the headphone itself which is the same headphone like the OG with decrease of 2 db to 5khz and more subdued appearance but, of course, way more expensive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back