Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 1, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #3,661 of 4,484
I have what used to be the Signum+, but it looks like Arctic Cables has reconciliated the Signum/+ line into just Signum:
https://www.arcticcables.com/ac-store/Signum-Series-p369698261

Great cables and comes with lifetime warranty which can't be underplayed. It's the only headphone cable I've owned where I can clearly hear an improvement.

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #3,668 of 4,484
The utopia is an older model, and Focal hasn't updated it yet. So, I'm guessing a Stellia update isn't likely near term.
Thanks. It hurts to buy a expensive headphone a month or two before they announce an upgrade. I thought the Utopia and Stellia use the same basic driver, so if they did one, the other would be eminent.

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #3,669 of 4,484
Thanks. It hurts to buy a expensive headphone a month or two before they announce an upgrade. I thought the Utopia and Stellia use the same basic driver, so if they did one, the other would be eminent.
You know i wonder how much engineering goes into the closed back cavity, and how long it takes.

The Stellia has that pyramid pattern on the inside of the earcup, which dissipates sound. I don't know how theoretical that process is, or is it trial and error, trying different sizes, quantities, angles, etc. From a physics standpoint it would be quite complex to model the waves in that cavity I believe, with all hundreds of pyramid surfaces. That process might be a big part of the development time and cost, and could mean we see a difference in the release dates of Utopia 2 and Stellia 2.

Also, Stellia is still quite new.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #3,671 of 4,484
They were also updating the Utopia to have the same accessories as the Stellia. And there was less need to update the newer Stellia overall.
Ahh yes, updating the Utopia. Nothing like $500 for a case you will never use and cables that still suck and needs to be replaced.

Easy cash grab by Focal tho.

Oct 4, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #3,672 of 4,484
Another question… has anyone tried the Sony Kimber cable on the Stellia?

The “screw-on” fidgets are easily removed to expose a normal 3.5mm TRS connector.

Pure copper, seems to be universally praised when paired to the MDR Z1R, and seems to be an aesthetical match to the Stellia.
I got the entire set of Sony Kimbers back when the MDR-Z7 were the flagship. Was going to use them on the Stellia when I finally added Stellia to the collection. Those ‘fidgets’ don’t fit, just a tick too wide. I don’t know how to remove them, plus, to be frank, the only benefit of Kimber over stock is aesthetic. Well, plus variety of amp end connections, cord lengths etc. Very much the same with Focal cables. My best cables, in use, are a 5 foot Silver Dragon balanced for which I have a 10 foot extension and balanced to 1/4 inch adapter. Right now I am running the Stellia on the stock, short, naked cable, to a 10 foot Black Dragon extension. Sound wise I can’t claim it matters to my setup. My cable choices through the day revolve around which amp I am using and where I am listening from. Most sheathed cables add microphonic issues, stock cables tend to be too microphonic, too stiff, or too much of a compromise in length. I used to love my Sony Kimbers but in retrospect it was because the stock Sony cables are so bad. Not sound wise but usability. Now that I have options I prefer the short Stellia cable or dragons over the Kimber as the Kimber are heavier, stiffer, and add microphonics. When I run the Kimbers on the MDR-Z7 I have to sit very still to enjoy them. Not worth the effort assuming you have at least stock Stellia cables. Stellia cables work well on Sony so an added bonus for buying Focal. YMMV.

Oct 11, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #3,673 of 4,484
Gentlemen (and ladies?)
So I am damn close to pulling the trigger on the Stellia.
I can pick up a new one for 2300 dollars with a 2-year warranty (All Stellias come with 2 year warranties, correct?) or a used one for 1850.
Question, how common are cable / driver failure issues with the Stellia?
Much less than the Utopia? I have two friends and for both, the Utopia has failed more than 3 times already.

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #3,675 of 4,484
Anyone been able to back to back Integra and Ingens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back