Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 10, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #2,836 of 4,460
in a single ended situation the ground is the same for both left and right. any headphone that use entries for left and right separately can be balanced.
Some headphones like for example Beyerdynamic DT1990 have a single cable entering on the left where it is split internally to left and right signals. In those cases it depends on the headphones if they can be run balanced (in case of the DT1990: no).
So are you saying that because the Stellia has individual left and right inputs it is inherently balanced? The headphone input post construction does not matter at all?

So why the difference in the Stellia input connector posts having just one black isolation band versus 2 on all my other balanced headphones? Why two post sections on some and 3 post sections on others?

I still do not undestand this clearly

Oct 11, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #2,837 of 4,460
So are you saying that because the Stellia has individual left and right inputs it is inherently balanced? The headphone input post construction does not matter at all?

So why the difference in the Stellia input connector posts having just one black isolation band versus 2 on all my other balanced headphones? Why two post sections on some and 3 post sections on others?

I still do not undestand this clearly
Hi, In case of Stellia it depends on the cable if it's balanced or not. You can have balanced by using a balanced cable. In headphone world you need 2 cables: live and zero; like a lamp. In some (mostly professional equipment) cases a 3rd cable is used for the ground. Take a look at this picture from a T1 (dual entry headphone)
1602407673782.png

the 2 main wires and a 3rd (which is attached to the base of the metallic driver housing): The cable of this specific T1 only uses 3 cables inside: left, right and zero; ground and zero are the same.

Here's the inside of Stellia:
1602408182627.png

If you zoom in you can clearly see 2 pins; this is where the driver is seated. Stellia uses 2 pins for the sound (as any dynamic driver does) if ground is used anywhere it's not clearly visible from this picture and I don't own a Stellia anymore so can't confirm nor deny it's existence.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,838 of 4,460
Hi, In case of Stellia it depends on the cable if it's balanced or not. You can have balanced by using a balanced cable. In headphone world you need 2 cables: live and zero; like a lamp. In some (mostly professional equipment) cases a 3rd cable is used for the ground. Take a look at this picture from a T1 (dual entry headphone)
1602407673782.png
the 2 main wires and a 3rd (which is attached to the base of the metallic driver housing): The cable of this specific T1 only uses 3 cables inside: left, right and zero; ground and zero are the same.

Here's the inside of Stellia:
1602408182627.png
If you zoom in you can clearly see 2 pins; this is where the driver is seated. Stellia uses 2 pins for the sound (as any dynamic driver does) if ground is used anywhere it's not clearly visible from this picture and I don't own a Stellia anymore so can't confirm nor deny it's existence.
Thanks for the illustrated explanation. I appreciate your patience in trying to get my thick skull to absorb the info provided.

You state that the Stellia can operate balanced if used with a balanced cable. The balanced cable would then need to have the three pole headphone connector for left, right and ground, correct? Which is not possible with the two pole male plug as supplied on the Stellia xlr cable. So the supplied xlr cable is not a true balanced cable and can only be used as single ended.

So it depends only upon the cable used and not whether the Stellia has an internal ground connection or not? If it does not, how can it operated balanced even with a three pole balanced headphone connector? Maybe I need to ask Focal if the Stellia is internally grounded to allow balanced operation, unless someone here knows that answer.

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #2,839 of 4,460
In headphones there is no ground like for example a studio switchboard.
In headphones balanced means: separate negative for left and right. In single ended operation they are shared. A 4 pole XLR cable is balanced if used for headphones. Between 2 devices you use 2*3 pole XLR cables.

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #2,843 of 4,460
Thanks for the illustrated explanation. I appreciate your patience in trying to get my thick skull to absorb the info provided.

You state that the Stellia can operate balanced if used with a balanced cable. The balanced cable would then need to have the three pole headphone connector for left, right and ground, correct? Which is not possible with the two pole male plug as supplied on the Stellia xlr cable. So the supplied xlr cable is not a true balanced cable and can only be used as single ended.

So it depends only upon the cable used and not whether the Stellia has an internal ground connection or not? If it does not, how can it operated balanced even with a three pole balanced headphone connector? Maybe I need to ask Focal if the Stellia is internally grounded to allow balanced operation, unless someone here knows that answer.

having made balanced cables for stellia, id say it is possible even with the mono connecters at the hp end. The hp connectors vary between hp’s but the wiring is approach is uniform.

with a single ended cable:

4 wire cable structure (2 wires per channel)

headphone plug: left + signal /left - earth
Amp se plug; left + tip/ right + ring and left- and right - are both connected to collar/earth

balanced 4 pin XLR or 2 x 3 pin xlr

the wiring follows that of se but instead the - left and right being attached to the collar they are separated and attached to their own designated pins on the xlr. The dual 3 pin just has the 4 wire cable physically split at a Y junction, thats the only difference.

any headphone with a tradional 2 pole per cup stucture can have a balanced cable made for them. Whereas 3 wire cables which connect to one cup can’t without re wiring the headphones.

apologies if I’ve missed the point of your question but hope this helps :)

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #2,844 of 4,460
having made balanced cables for stellia, id say it is possible even with the mono connecters at the hp end. The hp connectors vary between hp’s but the wiring is approach is uniform.

with a single ended cable:

4 wire cable structure (2 wires per channel)

headphone plug: left + signal /left - earth
Amp se plug; left + tip/ right + ring and left- and right - are both connected to collar/earth

balanced 4 pin XLR or 2 x 3 pin xlr

the wiring follows that of se but instead the - left and right being attached to the collar they are separated and attached to their own designated pins on the xlr. The dual 3 pin just has the 4 wire cable physically split at a Y junction, thats the only difference.

any headphone with a tradional 2 pole per cup stucture can have a balanced cable made for them. Whereas 3 wire cables which connect to one cup can’t without re wiring the headphones.

apologies if I’ve missed the point of your question but hope this helps :)

Thanks for your great explanation. Your statement “any headphone with a tradional 2 pole per cup stucture can have a balanced cable made for them.” amswers my question. I use an Astell & Kern sr25 DAP and want to use its 2.5mm trrs balanced output with my Stellia. I have a 2.5mm trrs to 4-pin xlr adapter that I used previously with my Utopia’s 4-pin balanced cable when listening to the sr25. My concern was the se tips at the hp end on the supplied Stellia xlr cable. I wasn’t sure if the Stellia would still be receiving a balanced signal due to the se tips. But from what has been said, it seems the signal would still be balanced irrespective of the hp connection tip design.

I will soon purchase a short, balanced 2.5mm trrs cable to use in place of the way-to-long Stellia xlr cable and wanted to be sure I would be getting balanced operation.

Thank you all for your replies.

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #2,845 of 4,460
I am looking for cable upgrade for my Stellia, does anyone have an recommendations? I search around and " Neotech upocc cables " popped up a few times but I can't find any links or anything

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #2,846 of 4,460
Oct 14, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #2,847 of 4,460
I am looking for cable upgrade for my Stellia, does anyone have an recommendations? I search around and " Neotech upocc cables " popped up a few times but I can't find any links or anything

I like the WyWires Platinum and Moon Audio Black Dragon with the Stellia.

Oct 15, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,849 of 4,460
Arctic Cables Sigma+

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #2,850 of 4,460

Users who are viewing this thread

Back