Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 3, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #2,146 of 4,477
What do you mean with "pretty short life"?? The pads are excellent quality. They should work for years ...

My pads are about 18 months old and have a lot of hours on them. They are still totally usable, but they have become somewhat compressed which influences the sound. If I was ok with that, I could probably get another year out of them.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,147 of 4,477
BUT I am with you concerning the price! On the other hand, we are dealing with luxury headphones here. Of course we would like to have replacement pads for 20 bucks but alas that's not how the game works in this price segment, like they would say: If you buy a Ferrari, don't moan when you have to buy new tires that cost a fortune."

For reference, DCA Ether 2 pads cost $90 per pair. Audeze pads cost $80 per pair. AFAIK, the only other company charging these kinds of prices is Abyss, but the AB-1266 costs $2000 more than the Stellia. Focal is charging more than four times as much as Audeze.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #2,149 of 4,477
I'm also kinda curious to understand why (it seems quite a few) people like to have Stellias and Utopias? I'd have thought that it'd be one or t'other depending on primary listening conditions, unless of course one has significant resources. Is it a case of certain types of music suit either Stellia or Utopia, or is it something else?

My reason simply, Stellia when the girlfriend is around and Utopia when she is not. The sound has similarities but is distinctly different, but both are wonderful in their own way. That's just my opinion.

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #2,150 of 4,477
My pads are about 18 months old and have a lot of hours on them. They are still totally usable, but they have become somewhat compressed which influences the sound. If I was ok with that, I could probably get another year out of them.

I totally agree. These are pretty darn comfortable earpads, but I don't see them lasting for a long time. And the price they charge is ridiculous. It's like buying a $100 printer and paying $200 for a replacement ink cartridges. There's a noticeable creak in the headband too with a slight twist of the earcups. And although the leather is supple, they're easily stained if not careful. Not much for outside use for a headphone touted for potential portable/travel use. They may be aesthetically pleasing, but need to be handled with extreme care, which is frustrating. I think I will still keep them, but nowadays, i'm liking them less and less. Finally, although imaging is superb, the overall sound is way too grainy for my taste. And it's still very much a closed back, no matter which way you dice it. This HP definitely made me realize that I very much prefer an open back design vice closed back when it comes to overall listening pleasure.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #2,152 of 4,477
I totally agree. These are pretty darn comfortable earpads, but I don't see them lasting for a long time. And the price they charge is ridiculous. It's like buying a $100 printer and paying $200 for a replacement ink cartridges. There's a noticeable creak in the headband too with a slight twist of the earcups. And although the leather is supple, they're easily stained if not careful. Not much for outside use for a headphone touted for potential portable/travel use. They may be aesthetically pleasing, but need to be handled with extreme care, which is frustrating. I think I will still keep them, but nowadays, i'm liking them less and less. Finally, although imaging is superb, the overall sound is way too grainy for my taste. And it's still very much a closed back, no matter which way you dice it. This HP definitely made me realize that I very much prefer an open back design vice closed back when it comes to overall listening pleasure.
I don’t see any problem using them outside the whole day (which I do). Everything is still like day 1 (except the darkening of the leather, that I happen to like). But of course the pads cost too much.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2,153 of 4,477
I don’t see any problem using them outside the whole day (which I do). Everything is still like day 1 (except the darkening of the leather, that I happen to like). But of course the pads cost too much.

Glad to hear you're not babying yours and getting your money's worth. :gs1000smile: But if i have to worry about slightly oily fingers staining the headband, I wouldn't call it 'durable' for everyday use.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #2,154 of 4,477
How are you guys having pad issues? I use mine for daily use literally 6 hours+ a day... they are still in great condition and I have had them for almost a year.

What about the Dekoni replacement pads?

As I said, my pads are becoming compressed from usage. This is going to be very dependent on fit, I think. If one has a wider head and thus gets more clamping force, it probably puts more wear on the pads. I'm not talking about falling apart pads or any manufacturing issue. All ear pads wear over time and it does impact the sound, as I've noticed many times when putting new pads on old headphones.

Dekoni does not make pads specifically for the Stellia. They have pads for other Focal headphones that would fit, but would not match the color scheme. The Dekoni pads may also involve sonic compromise over the stock pads since they are not designed specifically for the Stellia. If anyone knows of good third-party pads for the Stellia, please let us all know!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,160 of 4,477
Exactly what I suspected. A boy can dream of a cheap fix :wink:
The Stellia wasn't cheap so I wouldn't want to replace it with cheap. The replacement Stellia pads are a ridiculous price....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back