Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
May 17, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #2,011 of 4,477
Hi guys
Since the arrival of the Stellia's, there has been many thoughts about the potential discoloration of the brown headband. I have also previously (maybe June last year) posted a picture, where you clearly could see this. Now, I decided long time ago to keep the Stellia's, don't think we will ever part:) However, I still wanted them to look nice like forever. I have read about various treatments and even "protectors" in terms of some clothing. I chose to see what would happen with time just using them. I should say that, I am almost bald, so they get the "real treat". I have used another trick, that is rubbing gently with my "nose-fat". We all have that at hand:k701smile:
Here are a few pics of the results. I may be difficult to see the details, but the color has changed evenly to a darker brown.
So for potentially concerned - don't be just enjoy the sound
Cheers:beerchug:

IMG_7640.jpegIMG_7641.jpegIMG_7642.jpeg
I think Focal should fix this Defect, colonization, permanently.

May 17, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #2,013 of 4,477
That's a very good answer Ratty. Is the "flying rat's bum" you refer to....yours?

Nope, it's the universal rat's @$$. I think that people overestimate how much other people care about what you are doing/wearing in public. If someone notices the Stellia headphones on your head, it's likely going to be a very peripheral thing—they'll think, "those are nice" and then get right back to writing that memo to their team members about how the color of the widgets needs to be a darker shade of puce.

May 18, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #2,014 of 4,477
I used the Stellia with my DAP and really liked them. But now, they took two leaps forward.

IMG_1047.jpeg

May 18, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #2,016 of 4,477
Nope, it's the universal rat's @$$. I think that people overestimate how much other people care about what you are doing/wearing in public. If someone notices the Stellia headphones on your head, it's likely going to be a very peripheral thing—they'll think, "those are nice" and then get right back to writing that memo to their team members about how the color of the widgets needs to be a darker shade of puce.
I have owned a succession of watches (mostly Rolex) over the last 35 years and I can count on one hand the number of times someone commented on one of my timepieces. I also don’t think most people can wrap their head around the cost of Stellias or other upscale headphones. My friends and relatives don’t notice my headphones (or watches) either.

May 18, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,017 of 4,477
I really have no idea what the physics are, but there's really no debate. The differences between a good cable and a bad cable aren't subtle, they're super dramatic and you'd have to be deaf to not hear it. Not worth arguing about, since the argument would be settled in ten seconds if you had a good cable to compare to the stock one. I was skeptical too before I heard the difference.

Says you. I think you should keep your "opinions" personal. I respect what people "believe" they hear, but don't sell it like it's a fact. We've all seen/read both sides of the argument aplenty, and its been beaten to death as previously mentioned.

I just can't stand people that force their opinions like its the hard truth. Like you've said, you have no idea the physics involved. To your logic, we would all be buying the same crap.

May 18, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #2,018 of 4,477
Nice photo! What do you think of the Arche? I'm also interested in your take on the stellias versus the Abyss, the empyreans and the A8000 however different they may be :wink:

The Arche is great. First of all, its shape and form is very clean, and the headphone stand on top is genius. Whereas I cannot find anything outstanding with the DAC/Amp (not in a bad way- just sound I'd expect for the price). the preset are a clear improvement - the sound is smooth, creamy and detailed, all at the same time. I am very happy with it.

Regarding the others ... I think so much has been written about the Abyss, not much I can add. Very aggressive and dynamic, very good for rock/metal, anything really. It is just a different signature which shines because of the visceral bass response, they are for sure fun. Stellia is more timid but probably also more sophisticated and calmer in its overall approach without sacrificing detail. The A8000 is something which really stands out, very unique signature - I'd say they are like the Utopias in IEM form, they dissect music into a 3d spatial space. The a8000 are not for everyone for sure, but they are outstanding in what they are doing with the music.

May 18, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #2,019 of 4,477
I really have no idea what the physics are, but there's really no debate. The differences between a good cable and a bad cable aren't subtle, they're super dramatic and you'd have to be deaf to not hear it. Not worth arguing about, since the argument would be settled in ten seconds if you had a good cable to compare to the stock one. I was skeptical too before I heard the difference.

Did you ever do some blind testing? Try it out with some friends .... the results are astonishing. I asked my wife to change cable a and b with me having my eyes closed. We tried back and forth (a again, can I hear b again etc...). I clearly settled for B. Then my wife told me that she always connected and disconnected the same cable. :L3000:

May 18, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #2,020 of 4,477
The Arche is great. First of all, its shape and form is very clean, and the headphone stand on top is genius. Whereas I cannot find anything outstanding with the DAC/Amp (not in a bad way- just sound I'd expect for the price). the preset are a clear improvement - the sound is smooth, creamy and detailed, all at the same time. I am very happy with it.

Regarding the others ... I think so much has been written about the Abyss, not much I can add. Very aggressive and dynamic, very good for rock/metal, anything really. It is just a different signature which shines because of the visceral bass response, they are for sure fun. Stellia is more timid but probably also more sophisticated and calmer in its overall approach without sacrificing detail. The A8000 is something which really stands out, very unique signature - I'd say they are like the Utopias in IEM form, they dissect music into a 3d spatial space. The a8000 are not for everyone for sure, but they are outstanding in what they are doing with the music.

Thank you so much for your informative insight; I'm looking for the best possible metal music headphones, the Abyss look like the way to go. The thing is; I can get my hands on the Utopia+Stellias+Arche for the same price as the Abyss 1266 Phi TC (with the "basic" cales)... Makes for a compelling argument as I could use the Utopia during the day and the Stellias at night... Decisions, decisions :)

May 18, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #2,021 of 4,477
Did you ever do some blind testing? Try it out with some friends .... the results are astonishing. I asked my wife to change cable a and b with me having my eyes closed. We tried back and forth (a again, can I hear b again etc...). I clearly settled for B. Then my wife told me that she always connected and disconnected the same cable. :L3000:

LMAO i'm sure she had one heck of a good laugh after hearing you choose b over again and again

May 18, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #2,023 of 4,477
Thank you so much for your informative insight; I'm looking for the best possible metal music headphones, the Abyss look like the way to go. The thing is; I can get my hands on the Utopia+Stellias+Arche for the same price as the Abyss 1266 Phi TC (with the "basic" cales)... Makes for a compelling argument as I could use the Utopia during the day and the Stellias at night... Decisions, decisions :)

Take the Stellia & Arche, and sell the Utopia to me :)

May 18, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,025 of 4,477
My own experience is similar, but with a twist. A few years ago I was using a very inexpensive (really cheap) USB cable connected to my DAC. I purchased an Audioquest Cinnamon and could spot the difference pretty reliably; my wife did the switching and recorded the results. Emboldened, I purchased a Nordost blue heaven (much pricier than the cinnamon) and really could not reliably tell the difference between the two. As far as headphone cables go, the Stellia and Utopia cables are very acceptable but I have purchased gently used aftermarket cables and I believe they are marginally ”better”. That said, I don’t want to destroy that illusion with A-B testing! Obviously there are lots of points of view but this has been my experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back