Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #991 of 4,460
I agree. However my point was, without saying colored compared to HD650 or Beyerdynamic T5P, it is difficult to say.

Sorry I was responding more to @Beagle ’s question just for some reason the quote didn’t insert :)

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #992 of 4,460
Hey Beagle it is not neutral when listening to the Stellia without comparison. I think it is a touch south of neutral sometimes and at others not. The seal against your head can certainly affect the coloration.
coloured is pretty subjective term and open to any number of interpretations. Every headphone I’ve ever heard is colours the source media in some way as is everything other component in the chain. What sort of colouration are particularly concerned about?
I was considering an upper bass/lower midrange accentuation, that can be pleasant, in that it can smooth out rough edges in the upper mids and treble and act as a 'glue' to hold everything together musically, but can also limit dynamics and clarity in the bass range.

I also consider the asking price of $3000 and would expect a non-sculpted response, because after a while, it will just end up sounding like a similar 'flavor' headphone that you paid much less for. I've been there too many times. For $3000, try and rid the phone of all possible resonances, distortions and colorations without adding new ones. And make it seal properly on all heads. I realize that's a lot to ask for but you are asking a lot of money for your product. Not unreasonable to expect a lot for the money.

For $300, you can have an original HD600 that does not trip over itself (with regards to the above) like too many expensive flagships do. Not perfect (nothing is) but it's still a good reference. Sometimes I think most headphones are just various EQ settings with housings.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #993 of 4,460
the hd600 is an open-back can. whereas closed-back cans produce back waves, which present an additional challenge for headphone designers to overcome, regardless of price.

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #994 of 4,460
upload_2019-8-12_14-51-8.jpeg

Aug 12, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #995 of 4,460
Two different beasts there... The Eikon is warmer and more life-like in the mids (different driver and woodcup resonance effect), especially for male vocals. The Stellia is more resolving, thighter, have way more speed and is easier to drive (and less source-picky).

If the Stellia could have the natural touch of the Eikon's mids, it could be the perfect closed-back headphone to my ears... Otherwise, the Stellia is superior in any aspect (including the selling price...).
Yeah trying to figure out should I look at the Verite Closed, Eikon or go straight to the Stellia. The thing that bugs me about the Stellia is the in your head soundstage.

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #996 of 4,460
Yeah trying to figure out should I look at the Verite Closed, Eikon or go straight to the Stellia. The thing that bugs me about the Stellia is the in your head soundstage.

From my memory (I sold my Eikon a couple of months ago), the Eikon's soundstage is maybe a bit wider than the Stellia, but the Stellia have more depth, better layering and a lot better imaging.
By the way, Stellia's soundstage is not bad at all (to my ears). Its soundstage is comparable with some respectable open-back models I've heard.

From my experience, Eikon's wooden-cups gives a sweet and natural tone to some recordings, but it can also bring some odd resonance to others (it also depends genres you listen to). The wood can also play a role there (mine was Camphor). From that standpoint, I think the Stellia could be a better all-rounder bet.

Didn't hear the Verite closed, so I can't comment on it though.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #1,002 of 4,460
Beautiful photos, Admiral Kolchak!

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Aug 12, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,003 of 4,460
So bokeh-y ❤️

What did you take the pics with?

Thanks! Nikon D850 and Nikon 50mm 1.4G

I took them handheld with my nightstand light. Quite improvised. I need to get a macro lens to really get close.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #1,004 of 4,460
I like the Stellia's looks. The very first time I saw them I was a bit like 'what'. Pretty much straight away after that though, I warmed to them.
Not sure if you've seen them in person, they are really stunning, and so is the case.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #1,005 of 4,460

Users who are viewing this thread

Back